Rumor: Apple to debut larger iPhone in May, 12.9-inch iPad in October

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

It will come out in June. During WWDC. Larger size iPhone will be software thing for the rest of the world. Hardware will be solved by Apple. As always ;)

The iPad "Pro" definitely would not come out until WWDC. My sense is that they would release such hardware as they pull the trigger on multiple window environments in iOS (or some clever solution thereof) to optimize the larger screen size experience on a 13" tablet. In the same way that apps may be developed for iPhone only, iPad only, or both, an iPad Pro SDK may be released to help developers prepare and update apps for such functionality.

• Reply 62 of 109

I have not said a larger iPhone is not needed.. I am not going around saying that,, you need to read what i wrote in reply. I acknowledged that it was desirable to some people.. again let me quote myself  "Apple should make big flashy screens for people who have time to play games." ok not just games.. But how is that limiting what I think Apple should do.  

I was merely expressing a desire for a small lightweight iPhone. Based on my usage. This is a blog for comments and opinions. Not a place to fight over silly little inferences. Enough.. you want I want a small one... THE END

• Reply 63 of 109
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bigpics wrote: »
    In Salt Lake City I see far more Android phones and my best friend is about to abandon the walled garden.  And you can blather on about ergonomics all you want, but I'm not buying a 4" phone.

So until proven otherwise (which I hope will be sooner rather than later - as Apple news has already been far less fascinating since the charismatic founder's passing), Apple's current path resembles a paraphrase of the most famous Ballmer quote: "Iterate, iterate, iterate!"

Most of my friends/immediate fam have iPhones or will purchase one in the next 3 months. In a mall a week or so ago, I saw 10 iPhones to one Sammy being used in public. All strangers. So my anecdote cancels your out. In addition I saw someone buy a 5C.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Most of my friends/immediate fam have iPhones or will purchase one in the next 3 months. In a mall a week or so ago, I saw 10 iPhones to one Sammy being used in public. All strangers. So my anecdote cancels your out. In addition I saw someone buy a 5C.

Nice combining of two parts of my post that weren't related in any way.

So...

1. Yes, anecdotal evidence aside, we can look up the sales figures and Apple's moving lots of product in their home market. And all signs point to them moving a lot more going forward. That was a response to someone else's anecdote  (tho' I do feel movement in the air in Android's direction, not just in sales but in buzz, ecosystem, the proliferation of fan sites, geek adoption, etc.) - but I'm just some guy with an opinion on that score).

2. There's been nothing wrong with Apple's refinements and feature adds on a whole group of very nice products, but they all amount to iteration rather than revolution. Call us spoiled, but it's been a few years - and yes, still within the limits of the rate Apple's previous game changing announcements - but 'bout time.  And which advent will also end the unending speculation that the key DNA that propelled Apple from near death to huge success lives on in Apple's culture itself.

And I think I made that case about the iterative nature of what Cook, Ives, et al. have given us already, so won't make it again here.

• Reply 65 of 109
    Originally Posted by SteveQ

what Im really anxious to see from Apple is something completely *new*

Try opening your eyes, then.

It’s going on 7 years since the iPhone came out, and all they've done is make it in different sizes and colors.

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by SteveQ View Post

But the iPad is *still* just an enlarged iPhone.

Shut up and go away.

it could be argued that Androids open source nature has made it more revolutionary than iOS.  

Not successfully.

Android is running on phones, tablets, PCs, TV players, cameras, etc.  

What’s your point? That you prefer an OS that is terrible at everything rather than one that is good at specific things?

I'm not even bashing Apple at all, I think they make fine products.  I just hope

Changing the words around doesn’t hide what you’re saying.

…innovator.

Shut up and go away.

But I see there's an unwillingness for discussion unless it consists of nothing beyond embarrassing flattery of Apple and their products, so I'll take your advice and go away.   

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Your views are equally as baffling to those of us that want a larger display. 

Sure is baffling why we’d want to use a device the same way that every other device that has ever been created in that category was used.

• Reply 66 of 109
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I'm not an autobuy on size alone, but that they continue to modestly diversify their lineup makes a lot of sense to me.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think you just described the reason Apple created the iPad mini.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I don't see the iPad mini serving Paxman (or me) at all because it doesn't make phone calls.

I just don't get the reasoning process that comes to the conclusion that carrying around TWO devices in the form of tablet-plus-phone is somehow more portable than just a larger phone.

• Reply 68 of 109

I have had limited experience with touch screen devices. The little I've had leaves me impressed on small devices. On something as big as 12.9 inches I would much rather have a Mac Book Air. A large tablet will be heavy. It probably will be used laying on a table or on one's lap. Holding something that heavy at arms length won't work for more than a couple of moments. If it is used on a stand then one might as well buy a touch screen laptop.

Acer has introduced the C720P touch screen notebook running Chrome OS. It has a 1.4 GHz dual core Haswell Intel chip with 2 GB RAM and a 32 GB SSD. It has an 11.6" screen. The order price is only $299 at Best Buy. Apple needs to consider what is coming from others when it sets prices for their devices. With such a cool new computer out with others sure to follow, how will Apple, and customers, justify paying so much more money for an iPad Maxi? This Google Chromebook is cheaper than the least expensive iPad Mini.

Whether you like them or not, Google is kicking ass! Chrome OS is taking off. It is better than Android in some respects and will continue to get better. With all of the apps and other programs in the cloud the programs can be updated in the cloud. Thus the users will always have the best software available. Even Apple sees the cloud as the future.

• Reply 69 of 109
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    v5v wrote: »
    I just don't get the reasoning process that comes to the conclusion that carrying around TWO devices in the form of tablet-plus-phone is somehow more portable than just a larger phone.
    Phone fits in my pocket, tablet in my bag. Phone is used when on the move, tablet when still.

Phablet doesn't fit in anything but my coat pocket, which isn't where I want it. Phablet is bulky to use when on the move, and on the small side when stationary.

I can appreciate how one device might seem more efficient than two, but it doesn't properly fit the use cases I want it to. It's a compromise all round.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    So given that some of you people probably post from an iPhone how do you do that with one hand.

I generally use 2 anyway as do most users of the iPhone I see - one hand to hold, the other to scroll, type or touch. Landscape mode has to be two handed.

The "one hand" philosophy seems to be an idealized version of how some people use their phones, but many - even most - don't.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So given that some of you people probably post from an iPhone how do you do that with one hand.

I generally use 2 anyway as do most users of the iPhone I see - one hand to hold, the other to scroll, type or touch. Landscape mode has to be two handed.

The "one hand" philosophy seems to be an idealized version of how some people use their phones, but many - even most - don't.

I've always used 2... even with the 4S.

• Reply 72 of 109
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Dang It! Now that things have aligned... T-Mobile finally gets the iPhone after seven years, T-Mobile has a decent price plan $50.00/mo. I got to wait another five months to see if this is true before I make my first iPhone purchase?! Ugh!!! Oh well, I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer. Hope the rumor is true though.

If you're the type who likes the latest and greatest AT&T is offering a new plan (can't remember the name) where you get upgraded to the newest phone when they are released.  Sure it's more money but if that's your need then it's great.

• Reply 73 of 109
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I just don't get the reasoning process that comes to the conclusion that carrying around TWO devices in the form of tablet-plus-phone is somehow more portable than just a larger phone.

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Phone fits in my pocket, tablet in my bag. Phone is used when on the move, tablet when still.

Phablet doesn't fit in anything but my coat pocket, which isn't where I want it. Phablet is bulky to use when on the move, and on the small side when stationary.

I can appreciate how one device might seem more efficient than two, but it doesn't properly fit the use cases I want it to. It's a compromise all round.

For many the tablet replaced their laptop.  It's common to see individuals carrying a laptop bag and smartphone and no one thinks that odd.

• Reply 74 of 109
    ... Apple needs to consider what is coming from others when it sets prices for their devices. With such a cool new computer out with others sure to follow, how will Apple, and customers, justify paying so much more money for an iPad Maxi? This Google Chromebook is cheaper than the least expensive iPad Mini.

No it doesn't. Apple has been successful in doing its own thing. Chrome book is the new netbook but with Google calling the shots rather than MS. How much were net books compared to the original iPad?
  • Reply 75 of 109
    bigpics wrote: »
    Nice combining of two parts of my post that weren't related in any way.

So...

1. Yes, anecdotal evidence aside, we can look up the sales figures and Apple's moving lots of product in their home market. And all signs point to them moving a lot more going forward. That was a response to someone else's anecdote  (tho' I do feel movement in the air in Android's direction, not just in sales but in buzz, ecosystem, the proliferation of fan sites, geek adoption, etc.) - but I'm just some guy with an opinion on that score).

2. There's been nothing wrong with Apple's refinements and feature adds on a whole group of very nice products, but they all amount to iteration rather than revolution. Call us spoiled, but it's been a few years - and yes, still within the limits of the rate Apple's previous game changing announcements - but 'bout time.  And which advent will also end the unending speculation that the key DNA that propelled Apple from near death to huge success lives on in Apple's culture itself.

And I think I made that case about the iterative nature of what Cook, Ives, et al. have given us already, so won't make it again here.

Somehow I may have over edited and removed something your wrote. There is nothing wrong with iterating as long as the baseline was successful. Ford doesn't redesign the Mustang every year. Chevy doesn't redesign the Corvette every year either.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No it doesn't. Apple has been successful in doing its own thing. Chrome book is the new netbook but with Google calling the shots rather than MS. How much were net books compared to the original iPad?

My comment isn't about the original size iPad. It is about a 12.9" iPad. Such a size would be very heavy. It would even be bigger than an 11.6" netbook in width and height.

I just went to the Acer web site. They are selling the C720P for only $269 for now. That is for a touch screen Chromebook with 2 GB RAM and a 32 GB SSD. The Haswell 1.4 GHz Celeron has proven to be faster than the last generation chip and a great power saver. The iPads only have one thing better than this machine and that is a higher quality screen.

• Reply 77 of 109
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

My comment isn't about the original size iPad. It is about a 12.9" iPad. Such a size would be very heavy. It would even be bigger than an 11.6" netbook in width and height.

I just went to the Acer web site. They are selling the C720P for only $269 for now. That is for a touch screen Chromebook with 2 GB RAM and a 32 GB SSD. The Haswell 1.4 GHz Celeron has proven to be faster than the last generation chip and a great power saver. The iPads only have one thing better than this machine and that is a higher quality screen.

I wouldn't pay you a dime for posting such moronic stuff here. Your masters are intelligent as their products. :D

• Reply 78 of 109

Such a size would be very heavy.

Prove it.

It would even be bigger than an 11.6" netbook in width and height.

So? You think Lady Liberty wants a smaller tablet?

Also the fact that they’re tablets, have absolutely nothing to do with this piece of trash whatsoever, and are in absolutely no way comparable. 

• Reply 79 of 109
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Quote:

I think there's a nice market waiting for a larger iPad, and Chromebooks are god awful, I bought one and gave the damn thing away, the screen was the worst screen I've seen in years, the whole thing was sluggish and laggy, and the touchpad was the killer for me, it's a device best used by the elderly (if you hate your parents and grandparents) and children in the US, seems more appropriate for developing countries.

• Reply 80 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

And what exactly has Samsung done other than steal from Apple and make a bigger phone?

What exactly has Samsung "stolen" from Apple?  People here claim how great there is competition in the market, then they suddenly claim no one else is allowed to make a phone that is a rectangle with a glass front.  Can't have it both ways.  There is something called basic functionality of a product.  All cars have the basic elements that make them cars.  Phones are the same.  Prior to the iPhone, all cellphones had a screen and buttons to operate.  They had a speaker and a mic and similar text-based operating systems that allowed you to dial and store contacts.  Some phones evolved and used an icon-based operating system before the iPhone.  Apple did not invent touch screens and they did not invent icon-driven operating systems.  Hardware manufacturers did not sue each other about what their phones looked like because it was the basic functionality of a phone.  Why hasn't Apple sued all hardware manufacturers that make a bar-style phone with a touchscreen?  Samsung isn't the only company.

Years later, it came out that Apple did not have a patent on the rubber-band effect when they demoed the iPhone in 2007.  Can't claim a patent after you showed it to the public without a patent.

In the 90s, it was hatred for Microsoft.  Then Microsoft saved Apple with the $150M investment in 1997 when other companies wanted to buy Apple and eliminate them.  Microsoft continued their own path and made their own business decisions that had an effect on their brand-popularity.  People will choose Android phones because that is their preference.  People are not confused about phones and they do not believe a Samsung phone is an iPhone.  If you favor competition in the market, let them make their phones.  People will choose based on what they want to use, not choose by confusion.  Samsung makes good products.  I have no problem buying their TVs or SSD drives for my MacBook Pro.  Apple offered no alternatives except for build to order (MacBook Pros prior to retina models) and their SSD prices were, and are still a joke.  Samsung's SSDs are top-rated in the market.  Why would I choose another brand?  Would I buy their phone?  No, because I don't want to use the Android system.  It has nothing to do with hating Samsung or thinking they stole from Apple.