Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak funding supplied by Chinese app piracy site

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xPad View Post

Because it's a security issue and muddies the platform. It's a bit like herd immunity, the effects of jailbreaking impact non-jailbreakers more than someone liking coffee around someone who doesn't.

You could just as well say, "why stop piracy? If you don't like it, don't do it". Or, to turn it around, "if you don't like a system designed with sandboxed security and locked to a single App Store, don't use it".

This isn't a law of the land, it's Apple's rules for their own system. I'd agree if someone was talking about removing the ability to side load apps on all computers, but we're not. Not even on all phones.

But that's the issue here: you don't need to jailbreak to sideload pirated apps anyway. You can already do so with the three different programs I mentioned above without jailbreaking. Does Jailbreaking make your device more vulnerable? Yes, but it's not like those vulnerabilities are contagious, and will affect non-jailbroken phones. Is it possible that hackers will somehow use the vulnerabilities discovered by the latest jailbreak to attack unjailbroken phones? Again, no. Jailbreaking is a multistep process that requires user action on both the iphone itself and the computer it is attached to during the process. It's not like you can open an email attachment and find your phone jailbroken two seconds later.

No, Jailbreaking does nothing to hurt those who choose not to JB. It does, however, hurt Apple's bottom line anytime someone like me chooses to purchase a perfectly functional app like iBlacklist from the Cydia app store instead of their own, thus cutting them out of the profit chain. If Apple really wants to end jailbreaking completely, they would address the reasons why people jailbreak in the first place, which I've mentioned above in other posts. Why shouldn't users be able to change the UI theme if they want to? What does loading custom icons hurt? Why shouldn't I be able to manually change Cellular network settings if I need/want to? Android and Windows Phone OS both allow this, and the world hasn't ended yet that I'm aware of. Why can't apps like iBlackList be officially supported? If you don't like the way they bypass your API's, CHANGE THE API'S, as long as the change isn't detrimental to other apps, which the majority of those found in the Cydia App store aren't. None of this is rocket science.

• Reply 22 of 137
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

please quote the sources of your statistics supporting your statement "... that's what many people jailbreak for."

That wasn't a numerical statement. Please don't ask for inappropriate evidence.

Here are the "primary" reasons to jailbreak:

1. Install apps that aren't in the App Store.

2. Install apps that _are_ in the App Store, without paying.

That covers it from the app side of things. You could also add "to customize your iOS device" (which is covered in item 1.), and "to be able to dink around in your Unix system", which is something that would most likely fall into spot 2 or 3.

And my ranking is just estimates based on observation. I have no stats. If you do, please share them. I'd prefer hard data to more subjective observation, but subjective observation is all we have.

But one thing that absolutely cannot be denied is that one of the things people jailbreak for is piracy. It happens. A lot.

• Reply 23 of 137
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    They don't believe in piracy, but bundled their jailbreak with a pirate app? They are insulting everyone's intelligence.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

But that's the issue here: you don't need to jailbreak to sideload pirated apps anyway.

I don't know if this is true (if the other piracy helper apps just jailbreak behind the scenes to install an app or what), but it doesn't change the fact that many people do jailbreak in order to pirate.

Quote:

No, Jailbreaking does nothing to hurt those who choose not to JB. It does, however, hurt Apple's bottom line anytime someone like me chooses to purchase a perfectly functional app like iBlacklist from the Cydia app store instead of their own, thus cutting them out of the profit chain.

Tell that to all the people who leave poor reviews to apps because of their jailbreak hacks. Tell that to all the people who post for help on their iPhones, without noting their device is jailbroken. Tell that to all the developers who see their apps highly pirated.

Quote:

If Apple really wants to end jailbreaking completely, they would address the reasons why people jailbreak in the first place, which I've mentioned above in other posts.

That's not a logical statement, and highly simplistic. Apple has put a security system in place and also designed the OS to consistent across devices. This isn't an either-or scenario, they want both.

You don't want either. That's fine. Just please quit distorting reality in order to justify your actions. You have every right to jailbreak, and Apple has every right to try and stop you. As iOS currently stands, I prefer Apple's stance, not because I want to stop you from using your device as you want (and neither does Apple), but because I want the ecosystem to run as smoothly as it does.

If you want customization, go with Android.

Oh, but Android is a mess, right?...  Exactly

• Reply 25 of 137
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I see nothing wrong with jail breaking.  The user has to install it by themselves.  Doing that will void Apple warranty.  I see jail breaking will increase innovation as well as helping Apple sell products.  

• Reply 26 of 137
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Anyone else find it ironic that Evad3rs sells out to the pirate site Taig and then Taig pirates Evasi0n?
  • Reply 27 of 137
    Quote:

Only it's not, since you've always been able to sideload pirated apps with software like iHelper without jailbreaking. The primary purpose of jailbreaking has, is, and will continue to be for the ability to install software that isn't available through the App Store. Apps like iBlacklist, that allow you to block unlisted/blocked calls, Winterboard for installing custom themes and icons, SBSettings for tweaking the looks and behavior of iOS such as hiding Apple default apps (stocks, Newstand.. looking right at you) that can't be deleted, and MyMod, which unlocks the cellular settings panel so people like me who get service from MVNO's such as Straight Talk can manually adjust certain settings so data and MMS work the way they should, and the way we pay for them to.

People who want to pirate are going to pirate. Jailbreaking has never been an obstacle to this, or even part of the equation. If you're going to comment on an issue, AI, you should probably make sure you're knowledgeable on it first.

Aren't you just Mr. Principles. :-)

I will say that the people that I've talked to that jailbreak their devices admittedly do so to obtain free apps that they otherwise would have to pay for. Sad, but that's the truth. People are cheap and will cut corners to save a buck any way they can. I'm not saying that's representative of everyone, but the jailbreak community is no better than the BitTorrent and former Napster communities. People feel entitled to anything digital because it's not something they can touch or hold, therefore has no real value.

• Reply 28 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Jailbreaking is as good as it is bad. Notification Center was practically invented by the jailbreak community, as was the App Store itself. Rotation lock, and many other features. I don't agree with them associating with scum but good luck to them if they made $1M I say. But that's just me.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Because it's a security issue and muddies the platform. It's a bit like herd immunity, the effects of jailbreaking impact non-jailbreakers more than someone liking coffee around someone who doesn't.

You could just as well say, "why stop piracy? If you don't like it, don't do it". Or, to turn it around, "if you don't like a system designed with sandboxed security and locked to a single App Store, don't use it".

This isn't a law of the land, it's Apple's rules for their own system. I'd agree if someone was talking about removing the ability to side load apps on all computers, but we're not. Not even on all phones.

Actually jail breaking has revealed many bugs in the ios software.

if it wasn't for the people who write the jailbreak software, finding bugs and exploting them, we might still have those bugs in ios.

i recall a time, I believe it was either ios 3 or ios4, where the jailbroken phones were more secure than the stock ones, because as soon as a bug was found, and used for the jailbreak ( I think that was the time of going to jailbreakme.com) there was an app that you could only install through cydia, that would patch the flaw. Only later on did the ios get update to patch that bug.

• Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I see nothing wrong with jail breaking.  The user has to install it by themselves.  Doing that will void Apple warranty.  I see jail breaking will increase innovation as well as helping Apple sell products.  

That's like saying that stealing gas will help to sell cars. haha

• Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:

How can you possibly state something so incomprehensibly wrong with a straight face?

True or False: Some people jailbreak in order to install pirated apps.

True or False: Some people buy iPhones in order to jailbreak them.

so do we also stop iphone sales?

• Reply 32 of 137
    "It's better to be a pirate than join the navy" Steven P Jobs
  • Reply 33 of 137
    Quote:

You might want to quit talking out your ass because you obviously have no clue with your sanctimonious bull$hit

• Reply 34 of 137

It's funny that for a lot of the people totally against jail breaking, are enjoying the fruits of the jailbreak developers now in ios7 

The fact remains that sometimes playing outside the limited boundaries set by apple, produces new apps/ideas and later on apple incorporates those into  ios

lockscreen notifications?

command center?

live clock icon?

all those started in the jailbreak world

• Reply 35 of 137
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

They said that after iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5, 6, and now 7. Every version has been jailbroken, and hopefully the trend will continue.

And why are you "looking forward" for that to change? If you aren't a fan of jailbreaking, don't do it. I'm not a fan of coffee, but that doesn't mean I look forward to all the coffee beans in the world disappearing.

Are you a fan of piracy?

Let's hear you defend piracy.  Go ahead.  We'll all wait.

• Reply 36 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If they give back the payment, their protestations will look less like crocodile tears.

I'll say Evasi0n keeps the money, just to teach them a lesson. Chinese, no matter where they are, have almost no concept of paying for software. They will save months and months for a $700 phone, then balk on paying 99 cents for an apps. At the same time they have no problem with a $3 bubble tea.

• Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Are you a fan of piracy?

Let's hear you defend piracy.  Go ahead.  We'll all wait.

Jailbreaking =/= Piracy

To be fair, Jailbreaking just sets the stage like OS X. People can choose to pirate OS X apps or buy them. Jailbroken phone users can choose to pirate, which some do, or to not, which other don't. But just like OS X, jailbroken peeps can install things from outside the store which Apple may not always approve of, but are quite legal. 

• Reply 38 of 137
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Jailbreaking =/= Piracy

To be fair, Jailbreaking just sets the stage like OS X. People can choose to pirate OS X apps or buy them. Jailbroken phone users can choose to pirate, which some do, or to not, which other don't. But just like OS X, jailbroken peeps can install things from outside the store which Apple may not always approve of, but are quite legal. 

"To be fair..."?  Oh please.

Do you think stealing software and media is fair, in any way, to the developers and artists who create it?

Because that's what piracy is.  It's stealing.  It's not "fair."

Sorry.  Your argument is pure sophistry.  There is no way to defend piracy / stealing.

• Reply 39 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"To be fair..."?  Oh please.

Do you think stealing software and media is fair, in any way, to the developers and artists who create it?

Because that's what piracy is.  It's stealing.  It's not "fair."

Sorry.  Your argument is pure sophistry.  There is no way to defend piracy / stealing.

To be fair refers not to piracy as being okay, but that there is a pretty big difference between piracy and jailbreaking... that's what the rest of the post was for.

• Reply 40 of 137

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

"It's better to be a pirate than join the navy" Steven P Jobs

“I was definitely talking about the theft of intellectual property when I said that. Totally. Like, no two ways about it.”

–Steven P. Jobs