Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak funding supplied by Chinese app piracy site

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyJam View Post

You might want to quit talking out your ass because you obviously have no clue with your sanctimonious bull$hit

What a well thought out reply. Thanks for the input.

• Reply 42 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

True or False: Some people buy iPhones in order to jailbreak them.

so do we also stop iphone sales?

Don't think it went unnoticed that you didn't answer the question.

To answer your question, yes, some people do. That's not the question at hand. The question is whether piracy is part of why many people jailbreak.

And your logic doesn't even make any sense. Who is talking about stopping sales of iPhones?

• Reply 43 of 137
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xPad View Post

Don't think it went unnoticed that you didn't answer the question.

To answer your question, yes, some people do. That's not the question at hand. The question is whether piracy is part of why many people jailbreak.

And your logic doesn't even make any sense. Who is talking about stopping sales of iPhones?

My logic, which you missed, is just because some people choose to do something bad with jail breaking, that doesn't mean jail breaking is bad.

this country being a prime example.

guns kill people, but most Americans tell you yes some people use it to kill people, but that doesn't mean that guns are bad.

to answer your question, yes I have pirated apps.

but that was because someone at apple decided that certain apps should not be offered for sale in the us store, but are available in other stores.

at one point the BMW remote app, was not offered for sale in the US, but could be readily downloaded (for free) from the uk store.

so I could either do what everyone else was doing, create a new iTunes account on the uk store, with a uk address, and download it that way.

or I could download it from one of the pirated app stores (which by the way, if you try to add them in cydia, you get a warning that this source has ported material, and you are strongly asked not to add it)

I've also downloaded some Arabic language apps, that are not for sale in the us store.

And to be honest, I downloaded all the navigation apps to test them, because I've bought some crap apps for over $20, so I wanted to be sure I was getting the best one.

navigon, garmin, etc

and when I found one I liked, I actually purchased navigon from the App Store for $30

to simplify this, the reason I jailbreak is to be able to tweak the phone to my liking,

just like when I buy a windows machine, I can change the icons, change the sounds, move the task manager anywhere I want etc.

why should I be forced into using it the way johhny ive sees fit?

he likes 2D icons, to me 2D icons are taking a step back, and I much prefer the look of icons on ios6 than ios7.

yes it's a question of taste, but johhny is not paying for my phone , so I'm changing it to the way I like :)

• Reply 44 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

As evasiOn7 1.0.1 is avialable w/o TaiG since yesterday I'm not sure what this article is about...

The free advertising for Taig.

Want pirated Apps, jailbreak and reinstall Taig.

I don't like the way the government makes me have a muffler on my car, it's my car and if I want everyone to hear the sound of my engine at 120 dB as I drive around with straight pipes I will.

• Reply 45 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"To be fair..."?  Oh please.

Do you think stealing software and media is fair, in any way, to the developers and artists who create it?

Because that's what piracy is.  It's stealing.  It's not "fair."

Sorry.  Your argument is pure sophistry.  There is no way to defend piracy / stealing.

I jailbreak because there's some tweaks I appreciate being able to make that Apple's sandboxing approach renders otherwise impossible. One example involves making a Javascript-based search prefixes setup I wrote available as a "search engine" in Safari so I can switch between searches of Wikipedia, Google, Amazon, my local airport, and the Internet Hockey Database with a one- or two-letter prefix rather than being stuck with only one all the time every time. (If anyone here jailreaks and is interested in the idea, there's a copy of the necessary file at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1241117, and it can be added via instructions at http://lifehacker.com/5903558/how-to-add-a-new-default-search-engine-to-safari-on-the-iphone ;).

And as a software developer myself, I DEEPLY resent the implications by some here that this somehow makes me a software pirate, or one who tolerates software piracy. I'm not exactly fond of the current state of IP law, but I don't address that by rationalizing theft; instead, I spend more by contributing to political advocacy organizations that press for this sort of thing.

• Reply 46 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

My logic, which you missed, is just because some people choose to do something bad with jail breaking, that doesn't mean jail breaking is bad.

I never said jailbreaking was bad (in the moral sense, as you're using here). And I never said all people use jailbreaking for pirating. But piracy is one of the common reasons.

Quote:

to simplify this, the reason I jailbreak is to be able to tweak the phone to my liking,

just like when I buy a windows machine, I can change the icons, change the sounds, move the task manager anywhere I want etc.

why should I be forced into using it the way johhny ive sees fit?

he likes 2D icons, to me 2D icons are taking a step back, and I much prefer the look of icons on ios6 than ios7.

yes it's a question of taste, but johhny is not paying for my phone , so I'm changing it to the way I like :)

And like I said earlier, if you want to, go for it. But Apple doesn't owe you that flexibility. You aren't "forced" to do anything, not by Jony Ive or anyone else. You are free to not use an iPhone and buy an Android phone. Until iOS devices are mandatory, the use of the term "force" is pretty weak.

You want flexibility. iOS is not designed with the level of flexibility that you desire. Maybe you should buy a more flexible phone. Or maybe you don't mind playing the jailbreak game, which involves waiting on upgrades until a jailbreak is available, etc.

Both are valid options. I hope you enjoy whichever path you choose.

I've only been trying to make two points here.

1. Piracy is a common reason for jailbreaking.

2. I'd prefer jailbreaking not happen (and the people who want more "power" to just go use Android).

Neither means I think it's wrong. It's your phone, you have every right to break the security on it.

And it's Apple's OS, they have every right to make it more secure.

• Reply 47 of 137
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Neither the people replying nor the people writing the article (want to) get it.

Jailbreaking is first and foremost about taking ownership of a device paid for; there would be no need to find or break security measures if Apple gave legitimate owners of a device legitimate means to access the hardware as master (i.e. root) rather than as a chattel/child with Apple as big daddy.

It's perfectly fine for Apple to support only specific configuration, it's not fine for Apple to prevent me from exercising my rights as an owner to do with a device as I please.

This is even more important knowing that there always will be security holes, so users need to have the option of monitoring their own devices, rather than being unaware victims of cyber snooping and other unsavory activities which may escape a user's awareness because no look behind the scenes is possible.

The issue about piracy is a red herring that Apple loved to trott out to explain their users being locked out (makes me wonder why Mac and PC users don't need to be locked out...)

As for the evasi0n team giving back money: Why should they? They made a contract and they did the work; so why should they not be paid for the other party having violated the contact.

If I get screwed by someone, I don't give back money, I sue for punitive damages to get MORE money to be compensated for the hassle and negative publicity the screwing caused.

The only criticism I have for the evasi0n team is not having waited for 7.1 final; it's silly to give away the jewels to Apple when iOS 7.1 is such a key update and 7.0.x is so full of bugs; a "fix" for 7.1
  • Reply 48 of 137
    I can watch Big Bang Theory on CBS on the web or over the air.

I can also watch it on iTunes. And I can watch it on P2P.

If I watch it on CBS I don't see any commercials. Either I leave the room, or turn them down.

Or, on my computer, I figured out which ad sites to block so that when I watch CBS.com I NEVER SEE COMMERCIALS.

You could say I jailbroke my Mac, but I just added some entries to my hosts file and now I don't see many ads at all

For the best combination of price, quality and service, p2p is it. Hidef, no commercials, portable, available within 15 minutes of broadcast.

If I watch all the commercials on broadcast TV, does that give me the right to download it on p2p?

After all, if I used a VCR to record it as I was watching it and edited out the commercials, I can legally give someone a copy of that tape. I can't sell it but I can legally give it away.

Nobody but my stepdad uses videotape anymore. Logically there are a lot of grey areas when it comes to "piracy"

Keep fighting kids. It keeps you distracted from the important stuff. Like I said before, killian is lying to you...
  • Reply 49 of 137

Most people dont jailbreak, because they think people do that to pirate apps. As someone mention that there are dozens of options to do that without jailbreak, even easier, because apple doesnt care. 

I see a lot people saying they dont like icons in ios7. Can you change them? Yes, you can - with jailbreak. Just few icons invidually or whole themes.

Slow animations? Tell me more. Do you want to put password in specific folders? I like to have five icons on my dock with calendar in the middle. Did you try this? I also choose to have 3 pages in dock with light indicator from os X. My icons bounce when they received a notification.

I choose not to have a status bar in any app. I just swipe down to see time (2nd swipe brings down notifications) http://tinyurl.com/q6rcfux

I dont like to have iPod in there. http://tinyurl.com/od5o98y 100s downloadable images of your favourite team, band whatever...

I can capture photos while taking videos on ipod touch 5g, have flash button also there.

Swipe down http://tinyurl.com/lc8cj39http://tinyurl.com/nosjb56,http://tinyurl.com/oaa7sfmhttp://tinyurl.com/q7w26lm or this http://tinyurl.com/l4h6xv5

More useful Lockscreen http://tinyurl.com/kqxex3l , swipe down and http://tinyurl.com/nb5ebz2 boom! Music is there with what? Query?? http://tinyurl.com/o9lbn6m Yes! I wont write there everything, because it will take hours... Best tweaks live activator, f.lux is hard to describe, you just have to try it and then say something...

• Reply 50 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xPad View Post

I never said jailbreaking was bad (in the moral sense, as you're using here). And I never said all people use jailbreaking for pirating. But piracy is one of the common reasons.

Common reasons why people use the Internet:

1) Learning: to gain new information about something. Anything will do.

2) Teaching: to OFFER new information about something. Anything will do.

3) Collaboration: social experiences are pretty awesome, after all.

4) Commercial activity: sales of software and many, many, many other things.

5) Pirated software redistribution.

By the logic you have been applying here, #5 and #5 alone means that the Internet (and the Web in particular) is a vector for software piracy and that therefore anyone acquiring software via the Web "deserves what they get" if they end up picking up malware in the process, that this causes all sorts of support headaches because of user forgetfulness, and really some serious thought should be given to shutting it down.

You seem to be operating under some kind of assumption that my jailbreaking MY phone (or, in my particular case, my iPad) makes YOURS less secure. Nothing could be further from the truth. The security implications come from research into this sort of thing, and given how popular iDevices are said research is inevitable. I for one applaud the fact that for once the applications of that research and the talent in this area is being applied towards a per-user voluntary relaxation of device controls rather than a general malicious breakage of devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xPad View Post

And like I said earlier, if you want to, go for it. But Apple doesn't owe you that flexibility. You aren't "forced" to do anything, not by Jony Ive or anyone else. You are free to not use an iPhone and buy an Android phone. Until iOS devices are mandatory, the use of the term "force" is pretty weak.

Apple doesn't owe the flexibility and they should not be under any obligation to support it, correct. But it doesn't follow from there that they should do everything in their power to deny it to anybody and everybody.

Let those of us who know what we're doing and can actually safely and professionally administer this sort of thing have the option.  It legitimately costs nothing, despite your assumptions w/r/t software piracy (which is STILL, alas, an inevitable phenomenon).

Quote:

You want flexibility. iOS is not designed with the level of flexibility that you desire. Maybe you should buy a more flexible phone. Or maybe you don't mind playing the jailbreak game, which involves waiting on upgrades until a jailbreak is available, etc.

For the record, I *do* have a more flexible phone (Nokia N900; had it for four years and it's still awesome :) ). My tablet, OTOH, is less so. But I have testing I'm required to do on actual iOS devices (and if you even bring up the simulator you are evidently not a real-world developer and you can shut up now :) ), and sometimes when that notification badge just won't go away no matter what I do it's helpful to have the option to install a small jailbreak-only app and say "make that go away so I can test it again". :D

(and yes, it's also tested on non-jailbroken devices, just to be sure, so don't try that canard either. :) )

Quote:

I've only been trying to make two points here.

1. Piracy is a common reason for jailbreaking.

2. I'd prefer jailbreaking not happen (and the people who want more "power" to just go use Android).

Neither means I think it's wrong. It's your phone, you have every right to break the security on it.

And it's Apple's OS, they have every right to make it more secure.

Jailbreaking isn't "broken security", it's relaxing one part of a multifaceted security model. If Apple's sandbox were literally the only thing standing in between a perfect iOS experience and "everything is broken, your device is under the control of anybody", then their security would have been broken by design. Fortunately for us all, Apple isn't that stupid. (Now if only their public statements didn't suggest that they think their entire userbase is... ;) )

EDIT: To build on that point - if you jailbreak, essentially you're taking responsibility for your device's security yourself. Some people can do that, and benefit from it. Some people are not realistically capable of that responsibility, and should be advised against it (and I do). And then there's the ***holes who don't care because it enables amoral behavior. I advise against punishing that first group exclusively because the third group exists (if for no other reason than the fact that that first group hates those ***holes just as much as you do if not more! :) ).

• Reply 51 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhulgan View Post

DED. The Fox News of Jailbreak reporting.

Bravo, jhulgan! Nice insult coming from an anonymous Astroturfer who just signed up on the forum less than 24 hours ago.

DED - in stark contrast to Fox News - is one of the few tech writers who's actually practicing responsible journalism by researching detailed historical data and emerging stories, doing the hard work of analyzing said data, and then presenting a no holds barred analysis exposing the lies and hypocrisy of various companies and individuals. In other words, he's doing all the hard work to set the record straight after all the misinformation we get from corrupt mainstream news outlets.

So now that you've had your fun, why don't you go crawl back into the little hole you came from, hmm?

• Reply 52 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then again, if the right people in the PRC government are alerted, these criminals could end up in a prison for the rest of their lives.

What makes you so sure that much of the piracy coming from China isn't feeding the pockets of PRC government officials?

• Reply 53 of 137
    The problem with saying jailbreaking has nothing to do with stealing is human nature. All locking a phone does is put up a virtual wall between the customer and the merchandise. Yes this means that certain products cannot be added to the phone that in other situations would be very useful for the customer to obtain that software. This does not mean that you have a natural right to jailbreak your phone. You can't force Walmart to carry products that it deems unacceptable. Why should you be able to force Apple to do the same? I will admit that there are honest people who don't steal, but if I could cut a door into Walmart with a saw and used it to load my paid for merchandise, would they be happy with my behavior? Even if I was the landlord, and owned the building, Walmart would be quite right to use any legal means available to shut that door down. You own your phone, but you do not own the software that runs it.

I am quite willing to admit that the relationship between Apple and the phone company leads to decisions about phone software that are not in the best interest of the phone owner. The government should step in and force the telecoms to offer software that allows you to use their system without arbitrary system barriers designed to milk the customer for unreasonable charges. Text messaging is the classic example here. Ending the contracts to lock phones is another. Those are issues that need to be taken up in a political realm, and not simply ignored. Everybody has a right to get a fair price for their phone and usage charges. The current system gives big customers discounts and over charges the small user. This is not a good thing. Walmart doesn't have one set of prices for one customer and another for you.

We need to take charge of our society just like our parents and grandparents did before us. If we don't then we deserve what we get. Using jailbreaks to avoid this problem is not a responsible solution.
  • Reply 54 of 137
    Originally Posted by jhulgan 

DED. The Fox News of Jailbreak reporting.

I’m pretty surprised this is still up; I reported it long ago.

• Reply 55 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Just a matter of time before Apple kills of jailbreaking once and for all.
    Looking forward to it.

Yes, by like the Mac, providing us an unlocked device from the start.
  • Reply 56 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

The problem with saying jailbreaking has nothing to do with stealing is human nature. All locking a phone does is put up a virtual wall between the customer and the merchandise. Yes this means that certain products cannot be added to the phone that in other situations would be very useful for the customer to obtain that software. This does not mean that you have a natural right to jailbreak your phone. You can't force Walmart to carry products that it deems unacceptable. Why should you be able to force Apple to do the same?

Jailbreaking doesn't add anything to the App Store, and jailbreaking voids the warranty (as well it should - if you're jailbreaking, you are implicitly saying that you know enough to fix things when they break). Therefore, Apple's other customers are unaffected and their liability is zero.

What some of us would like is the OPTION to void our warranty because we're do-it-yourselfers. I still have yet to see a compelling and rational basis for why Apple considers this to not just be unacceptable, but actively harmful.

(Hell, if they made an official jailbreak available, then they could DETECT it and be able to quickly and easily tell users who want jailbreaks without responsibility to buzz off! ;) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I will admit that there are honest people who don't steal, but if I could cut a door into Walmart with a saw and used it to load my paid for merchandise, would they be happy with my behavior? Even if I was the landlord, and owned the building, Walmart would be quite right to use any legal means available to shut that door down. You own your phone, but you do not own the software that runs it.

Despite the neologism of "intellectual property" making it seem like property law applies, last I checked IP law and property law are VERY different in this regard. :) The analogy also breaks down because, again, jailbreaking does *nothing* to the App Store. A better big-box-store comparison would be, say, Wal-Mart resenting that you, the landlord, sold the plot of land right next to them to a Home Depot. After all, Home Depot sells sledgehammers and cordless drills, and so folks could use those to break into Wal-Mart and steal from them! ;)

If you're in the US, jailbreaking is completely legal under the DMCA and other US law, independent of ownership of the software, because the hardware is in fact yours. (Other jurisdictions may vary. I understand much of Europe is similar, for example, but law in general and IP law in particular is complicated - that's why my brother gets paid the big bucks to explain it to people while I just get in arguments about the morality of it all. :D )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I am quite willing to admit that the relationship between Apple and the phone company leads to decisions about phone software that are not in the best interest of the phone owner. The government should step in and force the telecoms to offer software that allows you to use their system without arbitrary system barriers designed to milk the customer for unreasonable charges. Text messaging is the classic example here. Ending the contracts to lock phones is another. Those are issues that need to be taken up in a political realm, and not simply ignored. Everybody has a right to get a fair price for their phone and usage charges. The current system gives big customers discounts and over charges the small user. This is not a good thing. Walmart doesn't have one set of prices for one customer and another for you.

We need to take charge of our society just like our parents and grandparents did before us. If we don't then we deserve what we get. Using jailbreaks to avoid this problem is not a responsible solution.

I don't think of it as "avoiding the problem"; I think of it as a temporary fix while the long-term changes are being worked on. For my immediate needs, I jailbreak, and for the future, I do my research each Election Day, and also contribute to the EFF and FSF monthly and to other actions on an as-needed basis.

• Reply 57 of 137
    viqsi wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I jailbreak because there's some tweaks I appreciate being able to make </span>
    that Apple's sandboxing approach renders otherwise impossible.<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> One example involves making a Javascript-based search prefixes setup I wrote available as a "search engine" in Safari so I can switch between searches of Wikipedia, Google, Amazon, my local airport, and the Internet Hockey Database with a one- or two-letter prefix rather than being stuck with only one all the time every time. (If anyone here jailreaks and is interested in the idea, there's a copy of the necessary file at </span>
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1241117, and it can be added via instructions at http://lifehacker.com/5903558/how-to-add-a-new-default-search-engine-to-safari-on-the-iphone ).

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">And as a software developer myself, I DEEPLY resent the implications by some here that this somehow makes me a software pirate, or one who tolerates software piracy. I'm not exactly fond of the current state of IP law, but I don't address that by rationalizing theft; instead, I spend more by contributing to political advocacy organizations that press for this sort of thing.</span>

What software have you worked on?
  • Reply 58 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Bravo, jhulgan! Nice insult coming from an anonymous Astroturfer who just signed up on the forum less than 24 hours ago.

DED - in stark contrast to Fox News - is one of the few tech writers who's actually practicing responsible journalism by researching detailed historical data and emerging stories, doing the hard work of analyzing said data, and then presenting a no holds barred analysis exposing the lies and hypocrisy of various companies and individuals. In other words, he's doing all the hard work to set the record straight after all the misinformation we get from corrupt mainstream news outlets.

So now that you've had your fun, why don't you go crawl back into the little hole you came from, hmm?

Yep! And then after all that praiseworthy hard work, it's completely ruined by throwing on a sensationalist headline that misrepresents the situation and ends up making the evad3rs look amoral. It's kind of depressing, really. Heck, I'm kind of hoping some other editor came up with the headline - I don't want to believe he sabotaged his own work.

How about we target the actual pirates, instead? Submitted as an alternative: "Evasion iOS 7 jailbreak funding broke down due to app piracy by funders"

• Reply 59 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What software have you worked on?

Aside from patches to various free software projects (which, for this context probably doesn't count), probably none you would know unless you're into statistical bioinformatics research.

• Reply 60 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I still don't get why people who want all this tweaking ability just don't go Android. Seems to me jailbreaking is more trouble than its worth,