Preliminary Apple proxy filing details Carl Icahn's $50B stock buyback plan up for shareholder vote

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    All Apple management has to say is that they are aware of the excess cash and they tend to use it.
    Two areas that are synergistic are 1. Replacing textbooks with tablets 2.After the Target event, to develop a process to replace the fraud that is part of the credit card system. The Icahn position could turn out to be an opportunity for Apple to have a very BIG MICROPHONE
  • Reply 102 of 120
    Google bought Calico three months ago. Are we talking about his leaving soon. How. Can he be CEO of Apple's biggest competitor, and be CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD of Apple?
  • Reply 103 of 120

Reason to vote against; Carl Icahn is living and walking proof of how legal bias in favor of the shareholders and against management, employees, customers and all other stakeholders harms the US economy.

Reason to vote for; if Apple keeps up its Montgomery Burns-level of tax avoidance, this is the quickest remaining way of getting this money back to the US.

Reason to be skeptical; just how much of Apple's cash hoard is directly due to tax avoidance?  The more that arises from tax avoidance, the less Icahn's numbers about share value hold water.  But equally, the more that arises from tax avoidance, the more the Icahn proposal has actual merit beyond his own insatiable desire for fattening his net worth.

• Reply 104 of 120
    My problem is that the Chairman of the board works for Google
  • Reply 105 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flabingo wrote: »
    My problem is that the Chairman of the board works for Google

He used to serve on both Apple and Google Board of Directors too along with Eric Schmidt. I seem to recall there may have been another director who had once served on both boards at some point too. In any event it got the FTC's attention a few years back.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1143250/google_apple_levinson.html
    http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/features/antitrust/antitrust-laws-act-policy-apple.html
  • Reply 106 of 120
    gatorguy wrote: »
    He used to serve on both Apple and Google Board of Directors too along with Eric Schmidt. I seem to recall there may have been another director who had once served on both boards at some point too. In any event it got the FTC's attention a few years back.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1143250/google_apple_levinson.html
    http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/features/antitrust/antitrust-laws-act-policy-apple.html

What does concern me in those links is that Al Gore is supposedly still a "special advisor" to Google: http://www.randomhouse.ca/hazlitt/feature/al-gore’s-endless-campaign
  • Reply 107 of 120
    What does concern me in those links is that Al Gore is supposedly still a "special advisor" to Google: http://www.randomhouse.ca/hazlitt/feature/al-gore’s-endless-campaign

Odd isn't it? Those actually in the know don't seem to have a major issue working with both Apple and Google. I guess they don't follow the claims from the tin-foil crowd all that closely.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Odd isn't it? Those actually in the know don't seem to have a major issue working with both Apple and Google. I guess they don't follow the claims from the tin-foil crowd all that closely.

"Special advisor" is exceedingly vague... Perhaps his role is limited to environmental concerns?
  • Reply 109 of 120
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

the tin-foil crowd all that closely.

Of which Steve Jobs was a member, so I’d drop that.

• Reply 110 of 120
    Of which Steve Jobs was a member, so I’d drop that.

Sorry, I missed where he said any member of his BOD stole information about Apple plans and took it back to Google. Sounds like an imaginary claim TS so I'd drop that one.
  • Reply 111 of 120

Sorry, I missed where he said any member of his BOD stole information about Apple plans and took it back to Google. Sounds like an imaginary claim TS so I'd drop that one.

Just shut it. Read the bio or any other article ever written on this subject. Try to explain away why Schmidt isn’t on Apple’s board anymore, despite his explicit reason for being dismissed.

• Reply 112 of 120
    Just shut it. Read the bio or any other article ever written on this subject. Try to explain away why Schmidt isn’t on Apple’s board anymore, despite his explicit reason for being dismissed.

No disrespect meant TS but you're very plainly and obviously wrong if you're claiming Steve Jobs ever even HINTED that Schmidt stole any information on Apple plans and took it back to Google. Never happened unless you have some specific citation to prove otherwise. Using "Schmidt stole from Apple" as another excuse to be a Google hater is simply FUD turned into a favored talking point IMO.
  • Reply 113 of 120

youre very plainly and obviously wrong if you're claiming Steve Jobs ever even HINTED that Schmidt stole any information on Apple plans and took it back to Google.

Just shut up now. Please. No one believes you, you’ve never had any proof of your claim, we’ve always had proof of ours.

Jobs knew what was going on, of course. And he felt betrayed.

Schmidt's mobile phone rang on the highway between Reno and Burning Man's movable city in Black Rock Desert. It was Jobs, angry. The call then dropped; bad signal, middle of nowhere. The disconnect couldn't be blamed on a flaky iPhone connection: Schmidt had long ago given up on the Apple handset because he couldn't stand the on-screen keyboard. His wife had tested a prototype, but didn't care to keep it. Schmidt, we're told, ended up giving his iPhone to Bohner as a gift.

Schmidt located a convenience store and used a pay phone to call Jobs back. The Apple CEO "shouted" at Schmidt and "railed" at him, furious about his smartphone plans and duplicity, said our source. After all, Schmidt sat on Apple's board and was supposed to be a partner on the iPhone, providing internet services like maps.

Schmidt, enduring the abuse, visibly lost his composure; his face went "weird," said our source.

"Steve was very, very upset," Schmidt is said to have later told his companion Bohner. "My God, he was so angry."

Jobs knew it, the board knew it, everyone on Earth seems to know it except for you and the Google lickers.

• Reply 114 of 120
    Just shut up now. Please. No one believes you, you’ve never had any proof of your claim, we’ve always had proof of ours.

Jobs knew it, the board knew it, everyone on Earth seems to know it except for you and the Google lickers.

Still don't see any comment Mr. Jobs ever made that Schmidt was stealing proprietary information from Apple and taking it back to Google. I'll agree tho that he was plainly upset that Google was not being a good partner in Mr. Jobs eyes by aggressively pursuing Android development, and in particularly touch gestures (multi-touch). Isn't that what the passage you quoted was about? Don't think he ever expressed a single concern that Schmidt stole any secrets from Apple before they themselves revealed them. That wasn't what his anger was about as you should well know.
  • Reply 115 of 120
    Do you have a problem with the Chairman of the Apple board working as a CEO of a company owned by Google, as we speak? It is called Calico
  • Reply 116 of 120
    Apple CEO Tim Cook was paid a total of $4.25 million for 2013, not including restricted stock units scheduled to vest at a later date. Other top executives like CFO Peter Oppenheimer, SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, and SVP of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio all received salaries of about $2.6 million.

Hopefully their stock options are better than their salaries. Considering the billions Apple has raked in during their tenure, these folks seem woefully underpaid.
  • Reply 117 of 120
    vaporland wrote: »
    Hopefully their stock options are better than their salaries. Considering the billions Apple has raked in during their tenure, these folks seem woefully underpaid.

*[citation required]
  • Reply 118 of 120

Still don't see any comment Mr. Jobs ever made that Schmidt was stealing proprietary information from Apple and taking it back to Google.

You ought to read the posts, then.

• Reply 119 of 120
    christophb wrote: »
    vaporland wrote: »

*[citation required]

I don't know what their stock option compensation is. I'm sure it's revealed in quarterly SEC filings.

I assume it's structured to be generous in light of US tax policies related to individual income.

Original citation from article was in original post.

Considering that dramatically more useless execs make dramatically higher salaries, in light of billions in profits mere millions in salary seemed paltry to me, that's all.