Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 257
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Really? Did Apple create all that content for others to sell? No. They only provided the platform for content creators and service providers to make money for themselves in which Apple takes a cut.

Yeah, see, he said for, not from.

• Reply 42 of 257
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    :no:
    jungmark wrote: »
    Surely, you can't be serious? The editorial was commenting on mobile devices.

And I will call you "Shirley".
    Who cares what kind of a year Google had with "mobile devices" when that's not where they make their money?

OT, I hope 2014 brings us a version of iOS that includes a Safari app that doesn't constantly crash.
  • Reply 43 of 257
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Who cares what kind of a year Google had with "mobile devices" when that's not where they make their money?

OT, I hope 2014 brings us a version of iOS that includes a Safari app that doesn't constantly crash.

Shirley, did you even read the article?

Is it Safari's fault it the web pages' ?
  • Reply 44 of 257
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yeah, see, he said for, not from.

Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. Did Apple make the apps for others to sell, or the music for musicians to sell, or the algorithm for Google to provide searches? No these people created something sold it on Apple's platform in which Apple takes a cut. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.
  • Reply 45 of 257
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

When multiple web pages crash and the common denominator is Safari then Safari will get the blame.
  • Reply 46 of 257
    Congrats on a brilliant, factual and comprehensive take-down of the lies and deceit that pass for analysis and journalism when it comes to coverage of Apple. And this is in addition to the 24/7 FUD machine that churns out a steady stream of Apple doomsday scenarios. CNN.com is a prime FUD offender, and has yet to encounter a piece of positve Apple news that it couldn't put a negative spin on. Consider the CNN story that greeted the signing of the China Mobile deal: "Apple Still Has a China Problem."

Unfortunately, your article will make no difference because, as you correctly point out that, there is no penalty for even the most outrageously wrong negative forecasts about Apple. The same publications, websites and authors simply reload with a fresh batch of newly concocted BS, then fire it out into the world to see what sticks. Although it defies all logic, being wildly wrong about Apple doesn't seem to ding their credibility in the least.
  • Reply 47 of 257
    This is pretty much a dis to all Apple haters. And I really liked this article,??????????????????????????
  • Reply 48 of 257

Is it Safari's fault it the web pages' ?

I hope that's not a serious question. Safari frequently crashes on the iPad Air. And I'm being being kind to Apple when I use the word frequently.
  • Reply 49 of 257

These articles are the worst type of tripe - anyone calling Google or Samsung's 2013 as failures instantly loses all credibility, as much as those who talk about Apple's demise. You should be able to talk objectively about performance without turning into a circle jerk.

Google's core business is obviously doing tremendously and their ability to monetize their users through advertising is ridiculous (2 to 3X times anyone else). Their Android strategy does seem haphazard at the moment, though they seem content enough to cast the widest net they can, even if it's on low end devices.

Samsung had a tremendously profitable year, closing the gap in profits to Apple in a way that was unfathomable 2 years ago. The S4 was a disappointment, though the Note 3 was excellent. The Q1 2014 release of the S5 along with a slew of new tablets should provide some guidance on how they will execute next year.  They get about a half year of sole attention until the next major update to an iOS device.

Apple was Apple in that they innovated and executed tremendously in 2013 in their existing product segments. The biggest what if of 2013 is their lack of a larger screen device. Regardless of whether *you* want one, there clearly is enormous demand for a device and it's fair to think how much money they left on the table. They're in good shape, though it's unfortunate there isn't going to be much new in iOS until the summer.

<edit> The one ongoing concern with Apple is that their profit shrunk y/o/y compared to 2012 which is never a good thing, though it's balanced out by how ridiculous their profits still are. Still - Apple, like every other company out there wants to grow profit y/o/y and it's to be seen whether Apple get fix this in 2014.

• Reply 50 of 257
    Shirley, did you even read the article?
    Yep, but I'm still trying to understand how Google had a terrible 2013. This article certainly didn't convince me. And Wall Street certainly didn't think Google had a terrible year as their stock was way up this year.
  • Reply 51 of 257
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    These articles are the worst type of tripe - anyone calling Google or Samsung's 2013 as failures instantly loses all credibility, as much as those who talk about Apple's demise. You should be able to talk objectively about performance without turning into a circle jerk.

Google's core business is obviously doing tremendously and their ability to monetize their users through advertising is ridiculous (2 to 3X times anyone else). Their Android strategy does seem haphazard at the moment, though they seem content enough to cast the widest net they can, even if it's on low end devices.

Samsung had a tremendously profitable year, closing the gap in profits to Apple in a way that was unfathomable 2 years ago. The S4 was a disappointment, though the Note 3 was excellent. The Q1 2014 release of the S5 along with a slew of new tablets should provide some guidance on how they will execute next year.  They get about a half year of sole attention until the next major update to an iOS device.

Apple was Apple in that they innovated and executed tremendously in 2013 in their existing product segments. The biggest what if of 2013 is their lack of a larger screen device. Regardless of whether *you* want one, there clearly is enormous demand for a device and it's fair to think how much money they left on the table. They're in good shape, though it's unfortunate there isn't going to be much new in iOS until the summer.
    Nice counter point, though I hope you're wrong about iOS. If nothing else Apple needs to release 7.1 to fix bugs, especially with Safari. Constant crashes and reloading of tabs is annoying to say the least and doesn't seem to fit Jony Ive's ethos about making the best possible products they can.
  • Reply 52 of 257
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. Did Apple make the apps for others to sell, or the music for musicians to sell, or the algorithm for Google to provide searches? No these people created something sold it on Apple's platform in which Apple takes a cut. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.

"Sold it in Apple's platform" says it all. If no Apple platform, they won't be selling anything.
  • Reply 53 of 257
    I hope that's not a serious question. Safari frequently crashes on the iPad Air. And I'm being being kind to Apple when I use the word frequently.

Nice counter point, though I hope you're wrong about iOS. If nothing else Apple needs to release 7.1 to fix bugs, especially with Safari. Constant crashes and reloading of tabs is annoying to say the least and doesn't seem to fit Jony Ive's ethos about making the best possible products they can.

No crashing issues with Safari on the ten devices in our household.
  • Reply 54 of 257
    i believe that the xbox was actually very popular and microsoft made a tonne of money off of it.
  • Reply 55 of 257
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.

So the phrase “70/30” means nothing to you.

• Reply 56 of 257
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.

Exactly!

Apple takes 30 cents for every dollar... because they are providing the infrastructure. The hosting, bandwidth, payment processing, etc.

I don't know why people translate that into Apple taking all the money from developers.
  • Reply 57 of 257
    ONNOVATION

EXECRABLE ANALYSTS
  • Reply 58 of 257
    "Sold it in Apple's platform" says it all. If no Apple platform, they won't be selling anything.

Do you not think they'd find another platform to sell there wares on if Apple's didn’t exist?
  • Reply 59 of 257

Yes Apple takes 30% of what another party created and sold on Apple's platform hence they made Apple money. Apple wouldn't have made that 30% if someone didn't create the content/app/service.
  • Reply 60 of 257

Exactly!

Apple takes 30 cents for every dollar... because they are providing the infrastructure. The hosting, bandwidth, payment processing, etc.

I don't know why people translate that into Apple taking all the money from developers.

Nobody ever said Apple takes all the money. Apple doesn't pay developers, they make money on their own of which Apple takes a cut for the reasons you gave.