Google takes aim at Apple's 'iOS in the Car' with Audi-Android partnership

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 143
    I have a 2010 s4 and i have an iphone 5s, a new car is always kind of on my mind, or what will be available in the next year or 2 . To me it would be a step backwards for audi to go with android. Looking at the list though it seems more kid cars will have access to apple integration then grown up cars. I don't want a civic. Maybe a land rover for my next car, but I don't see them on the list.
  • Reply 102 of 143
    Cell phones are hardware-tuned to frequency bands that go in and out of fashion every few years. There is little purpose creating a phone that lasts more than 5 years. A car is quite different.

    Apple maintains their devices for some years and then there's a very sudden point at which they are permanently end-of-life. Apple traditionally does not release the technical documents needed for a 3rd party to take over support. It's not just software, but the many custom chips that can never be replicated. The inner workings of Android hardware and software is more accessible so Audi (or customers) could have a 3rd party continue legacy support indefinitely after Google's attention span wanders elsewhere.

    I have an Audi and an Android device. Lack of expandable storage and an accessible file system absolutely ruled out an iPhone for me. Having used both, I don't see any point in being an Apple or Android fanatic. They both have comparable levels of benefits and faults, but in different areas.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

     

    Many others on this same thread have made the same claims or they were going to buy an Audi. You never asked them, why should you ask me only and why don't you as well? I'm not here for a pissing match or who has the biggest wanker. I'm stating that Audi will make this work with all mobile OS's as that's the logical thing to do to cover everyone buying their product. 


    Careful, you're having a discussion with some very closed minds.  Their world doesn't get more black and white, you're either with Apple or you're against Apple.  There is NO middle ground when dealing with these types of users.  Don't get me wrong, there are some users here that are capable of having a meaningful discussion, but there are others that are not worth your time.

  • Reply 104 of 143
    st88 wrote: »
    Careful, you're having a discussion with some very closed minds.  Their world doesn't get more black and white, you're either with Apple or you're against Apple.  There is NO middle ground when dealing with these types of users.  Don't get me wrong, there are some users here that are capable of having a meaningful discussion, but there are others that are not worth your time.

    Baloney. Apple got where they are by doing the hard work. Android is a work of theft by coattail riders. Audi is a premium product and I'd expect nothing less than top notch iOS integration with the combined efforts of Apple and Audi, which is why it is so disappointing to see this (presumably accurate, but one never knows here) news.
  • Reply 105 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

     

    Careful, you're having a discussion with some very closed minds.  Their world doesn't get more black and white, you're either with Apple or you're against Apple.  There is NO middle ground when dealing with these types of users.  Don't get me wrong, there are some users here that are capable of having a meaningful discussion, but there are others that are not worth your time.


    Yes, I hear you and thanks. I've dealt with this type of behavior many times before. I will never understand how people can't think that other things might work best for other people.

     

    I buy every single top tier phone that comes out from every OEM including Apple so that I know for a fact what that phone can or can not do. I buy phones that best suit my needs for the time I need it. Right now Apple is not it. Ask me that about 3-4 years ago it would have been a different story.

     

    Apple is a great company, but they are not the ONLY company. For some they are the BEST, for others they can't fit the needs of the consumer such as me.  I can have a valid conversation about mobile phones of any brand for any reason and as long as you're willing to converse. No matter if you agree with me or not. Just know that not everyone has to think your way.

  • Reply 106 of 143
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Yes, I hear you and thanks. I've dealt with this type of behavior many times before. I will never understand how people can't think that other things might work best for other people.

    I buy every single top tier phone that comes out from every OEM including Apple so that I know for a fact what that phone can or can not do. I buy phones that best suit my needs for the time I need it. Right now Apple is not it. Ask me that about 3-4 years ago it would have been a different story.

    Apple is a great company, but they are not the ONLY company. For some they are the BEST, for others they can't fit the needs of the consumer such as me.  I can have a valid conversation about mobile phones of any brand for any reason and as long as you're willing to converse. No matter if you agree with me or not. Just know that not everyone has to think your way.

    I, for one, don't believe a single thing you're writing.
  • Reply 107 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Baloney. Apple got where they are by doing the hard work. Android is a work of theft by coattail riders. Audi is a premium product and I'd expect nothing less than top notch iOS integration with the combined efforts of Apple and Audi, which is why it is so disappointing to see this (hopefully accurate, but one never knows here) news.

    But see, iOS integration might work for YOU, but it won't work for EVERYONE that buys an Audi. You're very delusional if you think that people who buy BMW, Mercedes, or Audi only buy iPhones. Like it or not, Apple's market share, even people in the high income bracket, is becoming less and less. Now I'm NOT saying doom and gloom for Apple, I'm saying they are not and will not be AS dominate as they used to be. 

     

    Yes, you might think Apple is the one and only, but they are not. Trust me when I say that you will see big changes in the mobile industry for 2014 and not all of it will be Apple. Apple will do fine, I repeat, Apple will do fine. They just don't own the game any more. 

     

    Now you seem like a decent person,  but you have to realize at some point there is a world outside of Apple.

  • Reply 108 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    I, for one, don't believe a single thing you're writing.

    Seriously!? What don't you believe? That I buy and use all top tier phones? I work in the mobile industry so, of course I buy them all. I also sell them when I'm finished. I don't know how that's so hard to believe as pretty much most of my friends do the same thing as we make a living because of it. 

     

    I also said Apple is a great company but not the only company. So you don't believe that? Well, I hate to break it to you, but that's a fact on both parts. 

     

    So I'm at a lost as to what you don't believe. Please explain in more detail my friend. 

  • Reply 109 of 143
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

    On a CAN bus what voltages could you expect to see on the High and Low lines when referenced to vehicle ground using a multimeter? Why do you see these voltages? What about voltages in reference to each other? What will happen to the data patterns on the CAN lines if a short occurs between the two CAN lines themselves? What is it about how the CAN lines are electrically connected that causes this pattern? Will module on the CAN bus still be able to communicate when this happens?


     

    What is a CAN bus? I assume CAN is an acronym, yes? What's the full version, please?

  • Reply 110 of 143
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

    Get of your high horse and come back down to reality.


     

    Android isn’t part of my reality.

     


    This will be a base that all phones will be able to use.


     

    I don’t want Android as my base. I already have a base.

     


    Plus, what you consider as the best OS is just an opinion, not fact.


     

    Wrong.

     


    Your iPhone is no better than what I use.


     

    Of course not¡ You’re obviously correct¡

     


    …premium Android phones…


     

    Oxymoron.

     


    …cost just as much if not more than your iPhone.


     

    So it’s a real shame that they’re just Schmidt, huh, particularly since you’re paying so much for it.

     




    I can guarantee you that there is nothing on your almighty iPhone that does more or better than what I use if we take the same common things that we both do.  Not one.



     

    That’s sweet. Run along now.

     



    Also, what makes you think that Audi should only have iOS.



     

    Not sure anyone said that.

     


    I will never buy a Apple product, not that there is anything wrong or bad about what they make, it's just doesn't work for me.


     

    Then I speak for everyone when I say SHUT UP AND GO AWAY. How stupid do you have to be to come onto this website if this is what you believe?

     

    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

    The tide is changing and Apple is not as dominate as it once was.


     

    Enjoy that tide. They don’t generally take six years to come in, but I’m sure you’ll be able to ride the waves someday¡

  • Reply 111 of 143
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

     

    Your iPhone is no better than what I use. 


     

    I've got 64bit, you don't, tough titties, pal

  • Reply 112 of 143
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

    I've got 64bit, you don't, tough titties, pal


  • Reply 113 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    v5v wrote: »
    What is a CAN bus? I assume CAN is an acronym, yes? What's the full version, please?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
  • Reply 114 of 143
    hill60 wrote: »
    I've got 64bit, you don't, tough titties, pal

    His screen is probably twice as large in area and his battery probably lasts twice as long on a charge as your iPhone. Different strokes for different folks.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

     

    Thank you!

  • Reply 116 of 143
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

    His screen is probably twice as large in area

     

    Wait, we’re still talking about overly firm breasts, right?

     

    …and his battery probably lasts twice as long on a charge as your iPhone.


     

    Now I know we’re talking about fantasy.

  • Reply 117 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,773member
    Android in Audi vehicles? What a major misstep and failure to understand their own customers. Android is the low-rent OS that mostly appears on crappy, cheap hardware. iOS appears only only the finest hardware. Clearly Audi products have more in common with Apple, and I am willing to bet their customers share very similar taste and economic advantages. Android belongs in Kia and Hyundai.

    Totally agree. The wife got a new 2014 Lexus ES 350 this week and one of its nicest features is the complete iPhone integration including Siri. It was definitely one of the deciding factors in selecting the make of car she got.
  • Reply 118 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,773member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Some of you on here are a bunch of spoiled brats.

    "I won't buy if it's Android" "It will never get updates"

    Wow! Get of your high horse and come back down to reality. This will be a base that all phones will be able to use. You really think they would just allow just one mobile OS to work? You're wrong.

    Plus, what you consider as the best OS is just an opinion, not fact. Just because iOS works for you does not mean it works for everyone else. Your iPhone is no better than what I use. You spoiled brats do realize that there are premium Android phones out there that are A. Just as good if not better than your iPhone B. cost just as much if not more than your iPhone.

    I can guarantee you that there is nothing on your almighty iPhone that does more or better than what I use if we take the same common things that we both do.  Not one.

    Also, what makes you think that Audi should only have iOS. Now that's not good for me and others like me. I will never buy a Apple product, not that there is anything wrong or bad about what they make, it's just doesn't work for me.

    You kind of forget, or perhaps you simply don't realize, there isn't anything your chosen product has or does that would exist if not for Apple. As to the fact you will never buy 'a [sic] Apple product, perhaps you are on the wrong blog by mistake. Somehow though I doubt you joined for any other reason that to stir the proverbial.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

    Also, what makes you think that Audi should only have iOS. Now that's not good for me and others like me. I will never buy a Apple product, not that there is anything wrong or bad about what they make, it's just doesn't work for me.

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

    I drive a premium car and don't buy Apple so your statement is false.

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

     

    I buy every single top tier phone that comes out from every OEM including Apple so that I know for a fact what that phone can or can not do.


     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

     

    Seriously!? What don't you believe? That I buy and use all top tier phones? I work in the mobile industry so, of course I buy them all.


     

    To be quite honest with you, at first glance I was tempted to post back that you seemed to be making an attempt to be objective. But then as I read more of your posts, you continually contradicted yourself about what you did and did not do.

     

    Do I think that people should buy whatever product or brand of product that best meets their needs? Absolutely! That applies to motor vehicles (why buy a Porsche 911 as your only vehicle if what you really need is a pickup truck?!) as well as computers or phones. So I was going to, and still do, agree with you on that point.

     

    As for the people who say that they were considering an Audi, but are now deciding against it because of this move toward Android, I have no idea who was really in the market for an Audi vs a Jaguar vs a Mercedes vs a Chevrolet Malibu - and neither do you. But I do know that if a vehicle's infotainment system is truly horrible, it most certainly can affect a buying decision. This has been the case with the Ford/Lincoln MyTouch system - it's not just bad, it's very bad. I've been purchasing Jaguars for the past 20+ years. But they're not the best (most reliable) daily drivers. My daily driver has been a Subaru WRX for a number of years. It's time for a new daily driver. I looked at the Lincoln MKZ AWD. A dealer called me about one and it really was a steal. I'm not a Lincoln person but I am a person who will take a deal if it's good enough. After testing the car and going through the controls and switchgear, I imagined myself in heavy traffic, committing numerous acts of violent road rage while trying to work with that wonky MyTouch system - so I passed. To his credit, Alan Mulally and his team realize that the deficient MyTouch system is affecting sales and consumer satisfaction and they're working on it. Too late for me though. Before I got the WRX, I looked at the Jaguar X-type and the Audi A4. The Subie seemed a better car at a much better price than either of them. And after looking at the Lincoln and the various offerings from Audi and Jaguar (although the Jag XF 3.0 AWD is nice), it appears that the upcoming Subaru WRX STI will probably win out. It's less luxurious, but more reliable and less expensive to repair... and probably the most fun car that one can buy for less than $50K. So long story short, yeah, most people will choose that which works best for them, brand aside - at least that's what they do if they're smart consumers.

     

    But here's the deal: by claiming contradictory things about yourself, I have to admit, I don't see that you have even as much credibility as those who say that they're crossing Audi off their "next vehicle list". You surely knew that this was an Apple-centric site when you joined, correct? Yet, you claim, in one breath, that you don't and won't buy Apple products. Then, in the next breath, you claim that you work in the industry and you have bought Apple products and every other brand of mobile product. That makes no sense and indicates that you're not an entirely truthful person. The objective data, that you have provided, leads me to conclude that you are basically just trolling. While somewhat subtle at first, that does seem to be what you're doing. No offense intended, but I believe in identifying a spade as a spade. I'm not buying an Audi anyway, but having never owned one, it would be disingenuous for me to go to an Audi forum and (slyly) explain why I will never buy one, why Jags/Mercedes/BMWs/whatever are better/just as good... and say that I have owned Audis and know all about them.

     

    I think that the younger folks call what you did a FAIL these days. Amirite or amirite? ;)

  • Reply 120 of 143
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Wait, we’re still talking about overly firm breasts, right?

     

    Now I know we’re talking about fantasy.


     

    Wait... what?! Overly firm breasteses and fantasies?! Why did I not get a PM so I could take part in this conversation???!!!

     

    I never get to have any fun on here! :devil:

Sign In or Register to comment.