Google takes aim at Apple's 'iOS in the Car' with Audi-Android partnership

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Android in Audi vehicles? What a major misstep and failure to understand their own customers. Android is the low-rent OS that mostly appears on crappy, cheap hardware. iOS appears only only the finest hardware. Clearly Audi products have more in common with Apple, and I am willing to bet their customers share very similar taste and economic advantages. Android belongs in Kia and Hyundai.

You sound like a Fox News watcher talking about libruhls.

• Reply 122 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

You sound like a Fox News watcher talking about libruhls.

When you don’t have a reply, don’t spew political crap.

• Reply 123 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you don’t have a reply, don’t spew political crap.

If you don't see the parallels between the post I quoted and a political statement, take off your fanboi goggles.

I don't care about anybody's politics, and will not speak of them in a public forum.

• Reply 124 of 143
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

If you don't see the parallels between the post I quoted and a political statement, take off your fanboi goggles.

Or maybe just don’t post political content outside PoliticalOutsider.

I don't care about anybody's politics, and will not speak of them in a public forum.

Except you explicitly just did.

• Reply 125 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or maybe just don’t post political content outside PoliticalOutsider.

Except you explicitly just did.

Politics: the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area

Could you cite for me how I made a statement associated with the governance of a country or other area?

I'm making a statement that such talk smacks of bigotry and disrespect for users of a certain product brands, which sounds like something a 12-year-old would do... or someone who consumes political media drivel of any party association and acts accordingly.

• Reply 126 of 143
    We are driving an Audi now and we are planning to buy a new one in 2014 ---- BUT - there is NO Way I will switch to a stupid Droid phone to run the dashboard in my new car !!!

So, tomorrow, my wife and I will visit the local BMW dealer. We live where a lot of snow and ice create problems - and the Audi Quattro all-wheel drive has been fantastic to use - but BMW now has all wheel drive as well.

We have a pair of iPhone 5S phones, an iPad Air - and I have 8 Macs in my studio. I don't do Droids ...

Really, Really dumb move, Audi .....
  • Reply 127 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bigphotos wrote: »
    We are driving an Audi now and we are planning to buy a new one in 2014 ---- BUT - there is NO Way I will switch to a stupid Droid phone to run the dashboard in my new car !!!

So, tomorrow, my wife and I will visit the local BMW dealer. We live where a lot of snow and ice create problems - and the Audi Quattro all-wheel drive has been fantastic to use - but BMW now has all wheel drive as well.

We have a pair of iPhone 5S phones, an iPad Air - and I have 8 Macs in my studio. I don't do Droids ...

I believe the original report was going to be Audi making some sort of formal announcement at CES, which is next week.

I'd think the use of Android isn't about getting exclusive connectivity to Android-based devices but rather using it as their in-dash touchscreen system. If the later itmakes a lot of sense over creating your own from scratch and would allow Android, iOS and any other device to connect.

At the very least I'd hold off before making any decisions as how Android is to be utilized is so uncertain it's fit squarely in the category of rumour.
  • Reply 128 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

Droid is a licensed trademark from Verizon... who licensed it from George Lucas. Droid is not a platform, and will it not be installed in an Audi.

As a head start for an embedded system, Android is a fine starting point, and more appropriate since it's open and easily customized for a specific use. Auto manufacturers have long re-purposed consumer hardware for in-dash computing. Like how Honda/Acura have used a Sega DreamCast. You don't see people avoiding those cars just because they use PlayStations at home.

• Reply 129 of 143
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I believe the original report was going to be Audi making some sort of formal announcement at CES, which is next week.

I'd think the use of Android isn't about getting exclusive connectivity to Android-based devices but rather using it as their in-dash touchscreen system. If the later itmakes a lot of sense over creating your own from scratch and would allow Android, iOS and any other device to connect.

At the very least I'd hold off before making any decisions as how Android is to be utilized is so uncertain it's fit squarely in the category of rumour.

Interoperability is a big part of whatt it's about Soli. Audi is only one of the partners. There's Audi, GM, Honda, Hyundai and Nvidia so far, and a blog post here that describes their goals.
    http://www.openautoalliance.net/#about
  • Reply 130 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Interoperability is a big part of whatt it's about Soli. Audi is only one of the partners. There's Audi, GM, Honda, Hyundai and Nvidia so far, and a blog post here that describes their goals.

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#about

I rest my case:

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#press

• >How will Android work inside of the automobile?

•  

>We're working with our partners to enable better >integration between cars and Android devices in >order to create a safer, car optimized >experience. We're also developing new Android >platform features that will enable the car itself to >become a connected Android device. Stay >tuned for more details coming soon.

BMW looks to be much friendlier to my iPhone, iPad and iPods --- goodbye Audi .....

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=5FBBE347246076D544654EB085A2542B?&id=1713&mid=

>Entertainment – Expanded access via BluetoothTM enhances listening options

>Among the enhancements for BluetoothTM access is iAP, an Apple-specific protocol. A USB connection will not be required in order to access >one’s music library on an Apple iPhone or iPod Touch. iAP will make it possible to browse and select music using the BMW controller and screen >via a wireless Bluetooth connection with the same functionality as with USB connection.

• Reply 131 of 143

Interesting. More apps can be enjoyed in the car now. So just pick what you want.

• Reply 132 of 143
    Audi live event has started. Live blog here: http://live.theverge.com/audi-2014-press-event-live-blog/

Or, if you don't care about up-to-the-minute coverage you can watch the season 3 premiere of Jerry Seinfeld's [I]Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee[/I] series: http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/louis-c-k-comedy-sex-and-the-blue-numbers
  • Reply 133 of 143
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Or, if you don't care about up-to-the-minute coverage you can watch the season 3 premiere of Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee series: http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/louis-c-k-comedy-sex-and-the-blue-numbers

I’m to the part of my life where I freaking want a daughter, so every time I see little adorable renditions of daughters I just get all mushy. I loved that story cartoon.

Can’t wait for the DeLorean episode, too.

• Reply 134 of 143
    I’m to the part of my life where I freaking want a daughter, so every time I see little adorable renditions of daughters I just get all mushy. I loved that story cartoon.

Can’t wait for the DeLorean episode, too.

This season has several of my favorite people of comedy in it.
  • Reply 135 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

Today the CES show made it clear - bring a Droid to your Audi :

http://officialandroid.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/new-partnership-to-bring-android-to.html

"Today, millions of people already bring Android phones and tablets into their cars, but it’s not yet a driving-optimized experience. Wouldn't it be great if you could bring your favorite apps and music with you, and use them safely with your car's built-in controls and in-dash display? Together with our OAA partners, we're working to enable new forms of integration with Android devices, and adapting Android for the car to make driving safer, easier and more enjoyable for everyone."

No Thanks, Audi.  I'll be one of the guys in a new BMW with his iPhone.

• Reply 136 of 143

I think the real problem here is with Apple, not Audi. Audi built a lot of its previous/current 'MMI Interface' around Apple's old iPod/iPhone connector. To my knowledge it was the ONLY auto company that attempted this level of integration. Then (I have heard) Apple decided to charge a prohibitive amount for Lightning Connector app/integration. The Lightning Connector has been out for quite awhile and Audi has yet to upgrade---and probably won't so long as Apple holds onto its current position.

Apple and Audi need to drop their attitudes and start working together. I am sure the vast majority of Audi owners prefer iOS to Android. If Apple successfully launches iOS in the car with both premium and mainstream automakers---it will shut the door on Android. But if Apple keeps on haggling, Android will seep into many/most cars and attempt to use that leverage to flip the phone market.

Car informational environments will play an increasing role in consumers' decisions regarding auto purchases. If Apple doesn't get ahead (as it could if it worked with Audi), it will continue to loose ground in the OS wars.

• Reply 137 of 143
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think the real problem here is with Apple, not Audi. Audi built a lot of its previous/current 'MMI Interface' around Apple's old iPod/iPhone connector. To my knowledge it was the ONLY auto company that attempted this level of integration. Then (I have heard) Apple decided to charge a prohibitive amount for Lightning Connector app/integration. The Lightning Connector has been out for quite awhile and Audi has yet to upgrade---and probably won't so long as Apple holds onto its current position.

Apple and Audi need to drop their attitudes and start working together. I am sure the vast majority of Audi owners prefer iOS to Android. If Apple successfully launches iOS in the car with both premium and mainstream automakers---it will shut the door on Android. But if Apple keeps on haggling, Android will seep into many/most cars and attempt to use that leverage to flip the phone market.

Car informational environments will play an increasing role in consumers' decisions regarding auto purchases. If Apple doesn't get ahead (as it could if it worked with Audi), it will continue to loose ground in the OS wars.

Really, Audi could have just added a USB port. Let the user buy the lightning connector or use the one the 5/5S come with.
  • Reply 138 of 143

True (and maybe some of the newer Audi's have one---I am not sure), but my point is Apple and Audi appeared to be in lock-step 2-3 years ago. If they had continued they could have already had a dazzling interface and be waaaay ahead of the competition---instead of just contributing to the clutter and delay.

• Reply 139 of 143

Frankly, I expect an announcement from Audi any minute now in support of CarPlay.

I am a BMW driver myself and although BMW always supported iPhone integration, they were not on the original list of CarPlay supporters.  This explains why Mercedes is ready to release CarPlay and BMW is not.  I think they understand that being late in supporting CarPlay can cost them a lot of customers, not to mention not supporting it at all.

Volkswagen / Audi would have to be insane not to support CarPlay.

• Reply 140 of 143
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Now that CarPlay is official I cannot see Audi sticking with this Android deal, unless they are complete fools.