Apple says it was unaware of NSA's iPhone spying, vows to defend customers' privacy

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    Not credit check. U submit a credit card attached to your acct. that's no different than if it was a pod site except you're not paying anything

So any old made-up 10 digit number should work since you wouldn't do a credit verification? OK then. Sounds like a plan.

And again why that would make AI more secure for it's members even if credit cards were checked and verified as belonging to the person registering which of course would require their real name and real address too?
  • Reply 62 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think I lost you.

Problem
    Trolls flooding AI. When the accts are determined to be troll owned, they are deleted. Trolls then simply create another acct and continue their rants

Solution
    All accts have a credit card on file that can be verified as being active(see pay pal as an example). If credit card is attached to a troll acct that card is blacklisted and the troll acct is denied login access to post on AI. IF a new acct attempts to use that credit blacklisted card, the AI acct is denied.

This would simply not happen. Too much cost for AI and they risk losing a lot of their forum members. For every troll that signs up there are probably at least 100 valid posters. How many of them are going to hand over their CC data to a site they may have never heard or read before? And what about stolen CC numbers? If there really are paid shills from China and Korea posting anti-Apple comments why wouldn't they use stolen cards to sign up?
  • Reply 63 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    No Apple discussion forum will ever require a verified credit card for admission. For a number of reasons no one in their right mind would sign up. AI already has verification methods at their disposal as do other forums,.Introducing yet another risk to your credit information being stolen is hardly a good idea and certainly doesn't enhance user security. It would be one of those cases where the cure is worse than the disease.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Just automate it. In fact, make it part of the verification process when u sign up. New user? Yes. Does credit card match a banned one? Yes. Stop new acct process.

Nope. Never going to happen.

I know that I’d never sign up, not the least of which because I don’t have, don’t want, and will never use a credit card.

Huddler already flags a returning IP when a new user signs up on it, and it has… fair early post filtering. If a post matches flagged content, it just won’t show up at all until a moderator approves it or bans the associated account.

Thing is that’s mainly for spam, but the IP matching is universal. There are much better tools than that for instant recognition, but we can’t have these morons knowing everything, can we. ;)

• Reply 65 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I don’t have, don’t want, and will never use a credit card.

Wow! I knew you were special, but you now are the first American / US resident that I know who hasn't got a credit card. And that's probably a good things!

Totally OT, carry on.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This would simply not happen. Too much cost for AI and they risk losing a lot of their forum members. For every troll that signs up there are probably at least 100 valid posters. How many of them are going to hand over their CC data to a site they may have never heard or read before? And what about stolen CC numbers? If there really are paid shills from China and Korea posting anti-Apple comments why wouldn't they use stolen cards to sign up?

I say a lot. I post on a motorcycle forum and they require a credit card. Annual subscription. Free for folks that want to browse. Cost to be able to post.

Make it add free for incentive. But getting rid of that 1% troll would be worth it IMO. Trolls degrade the value of the site...high jacking an otherwise informative conversion on apple

It's really not necessary.  The trolls are here (as everywhere) to annoy us and draw attention to themselves.  It's much better just to ignore them (which removes their raison d'être) and let the mods deal with them (which eventually removes their accounts).  Not as quickly as when TS was on their case, but eventually.

• Reply 67 of 84
    I say a lot. I post on a motorcycle forum and they require a credit card. Annual subscription. Free for folks that want to browse. Cost to be able to post.

Make it add free for incentive. But getting rid of that 1% troll would be worth it IMO. Trolls degrade the value of the site...high jacking an otherwise informative conversion on apple

See now you're adding in other variables like a paid subscription that would also make it ad-free. I would probably use that service with AI if I could pay via PayPal, not directly with a CC. That said, I don't think that anyone who wants to posts should be required to use a CC. There are just too many valuable posters I think this forum would lose if that happened.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:

Maybe. Just automate it. In fact, make it part of the verification process when u sign up. New user? Yes. Does credit card match a banned one? Yes. Stop new acct process.

Eventually it'll be cost prohibitive and time consuming for these guys to troll the site. FFS they don't even try to hide that they're trolling anymore. They just start blurting BS w no coherence

Why would any site that generates revenue from ads limit membership? Think about it.

Furthermore, why would anyone in his right mind encourage submission of credit card info? Would you really submit your CC info just to participate in a forum, what with so many organizations with more resources than Appleinsider losing CC info to hackers? Think, man. Think.

• Reply 69 of 84
    Ok. Fair enough

Long before any of us were born and long after we die there will be services that cater to those that are willing to pay for it. I don't think AI is the right place for your idea but you may want to follow app.net. If you haven't heard about it it's basically Twitter for those that were willing to pay for it. It's changed someone since its inception and i never hear anyone talk of it these days.

The end goal is limiting trolls...via cc validation

I think that would just limit regular users more and keep shill/trolls in control. It would be the beginning of the end for AI.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Apple lies they know they happily went along with the nsa giving them whatever info they wanted
  • Reply 71 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

The only reason Android isn't discussed is because the entire document is about iOS not any other OS. If it was all about Apple then why is the Mac not also included in this document?

I guess it's too much to ask fandroids to use a little something called CONTEXT but hey, you've got to keep the shiny turds looking shiny I guess.

The context is back in 2008 there was no Android.

• Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The context is back in 2008 there was no Android.

There were Macs.

• Reply 73 of 84
    Originally Posted by tsmallz2012 View Post

Apple lies they know they happily went along with the nsa giving them whatever info they wanted

So either provide proof of this or shut up.

• Reply 74 of 84
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Oh, look. There's a troll now. Post softly or you'll frighten him off...
  • Reply 75 of 84
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member

And, everyone seems to miss that Apple hired a former Naval Intelligence officer as their head of global security in 2011. Guess where the NSA farms a lot of their personnel from and has close ties to… Naval Intelligence:

http://www.cbronline.com/news/security/apple-hires-former-navy-cryptologist-david-rice-as-global-security-director-240111

• Reply 76 of 84
    smaffei wrote: »
    And, everyone seems to miss that Apple hired a former Naval Intelligence officer as their head of global security in 2011. Guess where the NSA farms a lot of their personnel from and has close ties to… Naval Intelligence:

http://www.cbronline.com/news/security/apple-hires-former-navy-cryptologist-david-rice-as-global-security-director-240111

Smoking gun smoked out?
  • Reply 77 of 84
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member

The NSA's approach to most hacking into protected environments/data streams has largely been pretty simple and smart (as I understand from the little I have read): they try to get access to the private keys protecting the data. E.g. they have a plant in some organisation (say Google) that gets access to the private key, and from that moment on they can do whatever the owner of the private key can do (e.g. look inside the SSL-protected connection between the user and Google). If the NSA gets access to Apple's private keys, they can pose as Apple and I suspect that an iPhone listens when Apple is trying to communicate with it (e.g. software updates, malware signature updates, etc.).

The NSA (as I interpret it from what I have read about Snowden's leak in the press) has a large database of private keys it can deploy to access encrypted data. Why try to break the lock if you can steal the key? It will have keys from most major providers (email, phone). The whole private/public key system has been compromised because they (logically) attacked its only real weak point: the private key.

The fact that they need physical access suggests that Apple has been able to protect their private keys well enough and/or that iOS has been built in such a way that even with a private key from Apple it is impossible to get anything installed without the user being informed about an update (and if that happens, suspicious people will soon find out they're the only one getting that update).

• Reply 78 of 84

What does that prove? If Apple really was working with the NSA to put in backdoors then why hire anyone instead of just letting their developers add in backdoors or giving the NSA the source code so they can find the backdoors on their own. Apple publicly hiring someone who is familiar with security shows Apple caress about security (or a the very least cares about the public perception of caring about security) which is pretty much the exact opposite the picture you are trying to paint.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What does that prove? If Apple really was working with the NSA to put in backdoors then why hire anyone instead of just letting their developers add in backdoors or giving the NSA the source code so they can find the backdoors on their own. Apple publicly hiring someone who is familiar with security shows Apple caress bout security, or a the very least cares about a public perception of caring about security which is pretty much the exact opposite the picture you are trying to paint.

It proves more of a direct connection with the US intelligence world than anyone else in this forum has been able to unearth. And don't be naive, ALL of those people in the intelligence community know each other. The NSA has had direct influence with Apple security once this guy was hired. 

• Reply 80 of 84
    It proves more of a direct connection with the US intelligence world than anyone else in this forum has been able to unearth.

And PA Semi had government contracts. It doesn't prove anything about collusion, backdoors, or violating the rights of citizens.

And don't be naive, ALL of those people in the intelligence community know each other.

Seriously? Funny how phrases like that switch from being used by racists and bigots to conspiracy theorists so easily*. Someone should look into this phenomenon¡
    The NSA has had direct influence with Apple security once this guy was hired.

Source?

* I could have drawn a conclusion that you must be a racist and a bigot because I'm able to draw a tangential link between your words and that of racists and bigots but such connections are common and we, humans, are very adapt at apophenia but we need to not let it get the better of us.