Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 157
    mac95mac95 Posts: 26member
    dalshabet wrote: »
    But, but, but...  your hero said "stealing", not "inspired".

    So what! :)
  • Reply 102 of 157
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Really ignorant statement.  I know a TON of people (including myself) that will not buy a car if it does not have iPhone integration. PERIOD.

     

    You say updates/malware won't be a problem.  Do you really think Audi has the resources to update the OS property?  Friken Google has a hard time keeping Android up to date and you think a FRIKEN car company can do a better job?  Google only updates devices younger than 2 years.  What incentive does Audi have to update past 2 years?  IMO it would be a selling point to buy a NEW audi when the OS stops updating.  Like phone carriers it is in Audi's best interest to NOT UPDATE the software after 2 years.


    Firstly your anecdote is not evidence and is not compelling in the least. 

    Secondly Audi doesn't need to update the OS regularly, this is a car not a phone.  Users aren't going to be clamoring for new features.  The OS can remain unchanged for years on end with little to no demand to "update my radio's OS AUDI!"  This is basically a radio and a few other features like navigation.  There should be no requirement for regular updates at all.

  • Reply 103 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dalshabet wrote: »
    But, but, but...  your hero said "stealing", not "inspired".

    You do know the quote comes from Picasso, right? Steve Jobs usage is based on that direct attribution. Now do you think Picasso's works are stolen from others or do you think you need to look at the meaning of the words and not isolate an individual word from Picasso to create your case against everything Apple has ever done?


    PS: There's a much bigger world out there than the shadows on the cave wall you've spent your life looking at.
  • Reply 104 of 157
    That infotainment system of Lamborghini looks fugly.
  • Reply 105 of 157
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    themacman wrote: »
    I did Check my facts, no lies. First your article doesn't exist (tried the link) second here is the real story "facts" http://m.slashdot.org/story/188347

    And by the way, I was at Blackhat because I am in the security business. No need for animosity, we're just having a discussion. Read the article. Withe regards to jail broken iPhones, I don't doubt the same problem exist because it becomes open source just like Android.

    Peace.

    Although there is less malware for iOS than Android, Android made big advancements in malware security over the last year. With the introduction of SELinux in Android 4.2 malware infections get isolated and thus are pretty much useless\harmless as it is sandboxed and a 7 layer security system is in place. In 4.3 it changed to a MAC or mandatory access control. And in 4.4 its setup was changed to enforced by default meaning apps can't disable SELinux.

    Remember iOS isn't free from security exploits and malware itself (no software will ever be). For example it is possible via a man-in-the-middle attack (via WiFi) to change the http information certain iOS apps (those who don't use https) receive and this way either falsify information that seems to come from a legit source or send malware. Once the attack has taken place even if you are not connected with that Wifi signal it can keep in control of the data displayed (whether on another WiFi network or mobile data doesn't matter anymore).
    This security hole was detailed at a RSA security conference in the Netherlands but didn't get that much attention from mainstream news sites as far as I know. The exploit still hasn't been fixed.

    The latter is just to show you that iOS isn't airtight either.
  • Reply 106 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac95 View Post





    Man I've read your posts until here and I must say I now consider you quite spineless.

    No matter what you say I imagine you lie in a sofa goin' 'yeah! So whaaaaat! Android! Google! Yeah!' - all day.

    Then - 'how do I put this into clever clueless words and bring it across to the common public in order to get my paycheck or personal satisfaction.

    Well, you won't convince me.

    Glad I don't have to live close to you.



    Good day.

    Wow, well based off such a small data set you much have an incredible ability to analyse personality types.  And you didn't even need evidence to support your claim!  This is truly impressive, based on a few posts (many of which were direct responses to another post) you can determine what I'm like in real life.  

     

    I would think with such an amazing talent you wouldn't waste your time here, go publish your incredible technique and revolutionize modern psychoanalysis.

     

    I can tell based on the feeble logic and Ad Hominem attack that you're not someone I would want to have a discussion with.  I unlike most people here apparently was attempting to limit the hyperbole and over the top alarmist knee jerk responses and have a discussion based on facts.

     

    I'm glad that you can "imagine" me doing something.  You don't know me, and you have based this entire assessment on a few posts that contain no insights into my personality in general.  This is completely absurd and your lack of evidence and use of ad hominem attack is telling.

  • Reply 107 of 157
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,730member
    2385amh wrote: »
     There should be no requirement for regular updates at all.
    Updates to maintain compatibility with newer phones would be likely and desirable. Don't want your $200 phone outpacing your $40000 car.
  • Reply 108 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post





    Updates to maintain compatibility with newer phones would be likely and desirable. Don't want your $200 phone outpacing your $40000 car.

    You don't need an update to do this unless you use a none standardized method for pairing.  If its Bluetooth or a physical cable (presumably one of these) it should be compatible for the foreseeable future with no update.

  • Reply 109 of 157
    mac95mac95 Posts: 26member
    2385amh wrote: »
    Wow, well based off such a small data set you much have an incredible ability to analyse personality types.  And you didn't even need evidence to support your claim!  This is truly impressive, based on a few posts (many of which were direct responses to another post) you can determine what I'm like in real life.  

    I would think with such an amazing talent you wouldn't waste your time here, go publish your incredible technique and revolutionize modern psychoanalysis.

    I can tell based on the feeble logic and Ad Hominem attack that you're not someone I would want to have a discussion with.  I unlike most people here apparently was attempting to limit the hyperbole and over the top alarmist knee jerk responses and have a discussion based on facts.

    I'm glad that you can "imagine" me doing something.  You don't know me, and you have based this entire assessment on a few posts that contain no insights into my personality in general.  This is completely absurd and your lack of evidence and use of ad hominem attack is telling.

    Yup. And I got no problem with what you just had to say. Luckily.
    As I said, good day. :)
  • Reply 110 of 157
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac95 View Post





    Yup. And I got no problem with what you just had to say. Luckily.

    As I said, good day. image

    Luckily? what does that even mean?  If I wasn't so lucky you might have really let me have it via text response.  

  • Reply 111 of 157
    chipsy wrote: »
    Although there is less malware for iOS than Android, Android made big advancements in malware security over the last year. With the introduction of SELinux in Android 4.2 malware infections get isolated and thus are pretty much useless\harmless as it is sandboxed and a 7 layer security system is in place. In 4.3 it changed to a MAC or mandatory access control. And in 4.4 its setup was changed to enforced by default meaning apps can't disable SELinux.

    Remember iOS isn't free from security exploits and malware itself (no software will ever be). For example it is possible via a man-in-the-middle attack (via WiFi) to change the http information certain iOS apps (those who don't use https) receive and this way either falsify information that seems to come from a legit source or send malware. Once the attack has taken place even if you are not connected with that Wifi signal it can keep in control of the data displayed (whether on another WiFi network or mobile data doesn't matter anymore).
    This security hole was detailed at a RSA security conference in the Netherlands but didn't get that much attention from mainstream news sites as far as I know. The exploit still hasn't been fixed.

    The latter is just to show you that iOS isn't airtight either.

    First intelligent reply on this thread I've read since yesterday. I agree with you, I do know there are vulnerabilities that exist in iOS. Never thought it was 100% safe. I've maintained the notion that if it was invented by a human, it can be hacked by another because nothing is ever perfect. Thanks for your thoughtful and well written post.

    Peace
  • Reply 112 of 157
    mac95mac95 Posts: 26member
    2385amh wrote: »
    Luckily? what does that even mean?  If I wasn't so lucky you might have really let me have it via text response.  

    Nope. Got no time for that. And we said, we don't wanna have discussions with each other.
    So be it. I assume you got a sofa, so enjoy that. There's people who have none.
  • Reply 113 of 157
    hill60 wrote: »
    Was it an art college?

    I learned collage in Art classes and spelling in English classes, all before high school prior to University.

    I had this nice long insulting reply to you, but then I realized that you probably wrote this while waiting for the short bus to take you to school. So, I decided to be kind instead. ;)
  • Reply 114 of 157
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Absolute nonsense. You’ve obviously never driven a VW v. an Audi v. a Porsche. Likely not even stepped into one.


    Why the hostility? I'm actually a big VW and Porsche fan, I currently own a 2013 Golf R and have driven several Porsches including a classic 914, 944 Cabriolet, 944 Turbo, and a 911 Turbo.

  • Reply 115 of 157
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post



    Why the hostility? I'm actually a big VW and Porsche fan, I currently own a 2013 Golf R and have driven several Porsches including a classic 914, 944 Cabriolet, 944 Turbo, and a 911 Turbo.


    Then you surely know that the electronics and the media interface are completely different among these brands? (Members of my family own or have owned various models all three brands).

     

    Didn’t mean to come through as hostile (but upon re-reading, I can see why you think so). Apologies.

  • Reply 116 of 157
    My next decision: Sell the Audi A5 S-Line, don't buy a new one 2014 - shift to BMW. So sad, for years I bought Audi until this crazy move. No thank's!
  • Reply 117 of 157
    As a BMW enthusiast, I hope you stay with Audi.
  • Reply 118 of 157
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 788member
    Congrats Audi, you're now looking more and more like Kias.
  • Reply 119 of 157
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post





    ...probably wrote this while waiting for the short bus...

     

    Would that be the one with the collage of food scraps on the window, painted with your tongue?

  • Reply 120 of 157
    hill60 wrote: »
    Would that be the one with the collage of food scraps on the window, painted with your tongue?

    No, it's the one you were born in when you got dropped on your head. I am thinking that the best of you dripped down your mama's leg.

    Don't forget you started this by feeling the need to criticize others. It's often a sign reflecting who you truly are.

    Your turn.
Sign In or Register to comment.