Wrap-up: The post-PC era is officially here and CES proves it

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48

Regular PCs run Windows. Windows is made by Microsoft. Microsoft was sued for monopolistic practices. Microsoft is required by law to provide alternatives to its software.

If Google ever magically (because it WILL NOT happen) gets 90% marketshare with one of its OS’, that also does not immediately mean they will be forced to offer alternatives; it means that the precedent set by Microsoft in the same situation would expedite Google’s guilty ruling.

Thank everyone who replied to my question. I guess Microsoft must be able to get the decision voided now as their share of the market must have fallen below the 90% share required for the monopoly, especially as Google claim 20% of new pc's are Chromebooks.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Thank everyone who replied to my question. I guess Microsoft must be able to get the decision voided now as their share of the market must have fallen below the 90% share required for the monopoly, especially as Google claim 20% of new pc's are Chromebooks.

Good point. It can't be long before Microsoft is as relevant as a Wang WP.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I guess Microsoft must be able to get the decision voided now as their share of the market must have fallen below the 90% share required for the monopoly

Oh, monopolistic practices aren’t dependent solely on marketshare, but when Windows plummets to 40% by 2020 they might be allowed to stop the forcible offering of other browsers.

• Reply 44 of 48
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    All these comments about MACS not being able to do real work: Macs and IDevices integrate Arts and Science and do fun things not boring stuff like Windows boxes. Windows apps are mostly buggy, suffer from feature bloat and basically crappy, they make it hard to be creative by getting in the way of the Artist.

Why would anyone want to do real work anyhow? Real work means making some one else rich. All they are doing is making the 0.1% richer anyways. Why the frack would I want to sit with an excel spreadsheet and Word docs trying to figure out all the idiot unintuitive ways to fill out a cell or format a paragraph hour after hour -
    Jeez the LAST thing I want to do is spend my valuable life stuck behind a Windows box ruining my eyes, and contorting my body out of shape and for what> - a miserable 100K and I only see half of it after tax and then some nerd wants me to shell out $1100.-- and $90 per year for MS office subscription on a surface pro and it weighs ton - NO THANKS
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Why would anyone want to do real work anyhow? 

Because they have real bills to pay. :rolleyes:

• Reply 46 of 48
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wrap-up: The post-PC era is officially here and CES proves it

"Proves" it? Why does it need to be proven? At some point it'll either be self-evident or it won't. Does it even matter? Is there some inherent benefit to a post-PC world?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

more interesting for me was that CES was a manifestation of a five-year-old prediction coming true.

I say this respectfully and without malice: I don't really care what you think. You are at the event to be the eyes and ears of the readers. I don't need you to form my opinions for me. Please just tell us what you saw.

Further, while I'm sure that you're really quite clever and that those who know you are quite excited that your prediction that Steve Jobs' predictions would come true is coming true, AI readers aren't your buddies and don't really care. Self-congratulatory material is probably better suited to your blog or Twitter.

Thanks for the deets on all the interesting stuff! Your descriptions were interesting and informative!

• Reply 47 of 48
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

But you'll look strange, trying to take a picture or a movie with a MacBook or an iMac.

What looks worse -- someone shooting video with a laptop computer or a mostly black screen with a skinny vertical video in the middle? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

However, the vast majority of people couldn't give a shit about the CES.  They'll buy products that "just work".

The problem is that there is no brand with a lock on that anymore, so those of us who never used to bother with considering alternatives now are because the tried-and-true is letting us down as often as not.

• Reply 48 of 48

I hate the phrase 'post-PC' it's so vacuous.  As a serious question though if one wants a home media server is the Mac Mini a decent choise?  I know it's not Haswell yet but anyone reckon if Apple will update it to Haswell?