Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Comments

• Reply 181 of 337
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    scalpernt wrote: »
    Wow, Google sneakily stealing Apple execs via Nest.  Like the old saying goes, "where there's smoke there's fire".  It seems to me that Google is preparing to "skate to where the puck will be" with this huge push into home automation.  If you stop and think about it for a second this makes a ton of sense strategically.  The home and the car are the next two places where a platform needs to be created for the roll out of new tech.  Someone is going to become the platform of choice in these two areas and Google has decided they want to place a bunch of chips on the home and use Nest as the tip of their spear.

Tim, please don't take this market too lightly as it is enormous.  I am a professional rehabber in Boston and at least in my market it seems ripe for this exact type of innovation.  Affluent customers all know about Nest and are requesting it by name.  I hope this acquisition gets his attention so that Apple isn't caught flat footed once the market gains further traction.

What's a bit odd is Nest gear is high end. Everything Google and Android is about cheap low end.
  • Reply 182 of 337
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,104member
    Now I have to take out and replace my two Nest units. What a waste of my time, energy, and hope

No way I would EVER allow Google to monitor my home activities
  • Reply 183 of 337
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Imagine getting served adverts every hour, ads for heaters and winter clothing when your room temperature drops, summer clothing when it rises, security systems if left idle for too long, and OS updates that only comes to updated products
  • Reply 184 of 337
    Talking of companies Apple can buy, I don't think many people consider EchoStar as part of that list. This is a massive advantage to Apple from some perspectives.

- allows Apple to break last mile delivery of content for Apple TV. They can use EchoStar's targeted satellite feed, so customers can get anything they want to watch on iTunes "streamed" directly from the sky.

- EchoStar owns the patents and technology of SlingBox. This could be crucial in some years, as place and time shifting become bigger solutions in the market.

- it probably is the best way to get Apple a foothold in living room. Existing Apple TV box is not even close to cutting it!

- Most importantly, EchoStar already has content agreements and distribution agreements with every that matters! Apple need not waste time on this, and can probably piggy back on top of EchoStar.
  • Reply 185 of 337
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member

Apple buys Nest - Wall Street reaction:

• Why did Apple let Fadell go in the first place?

• Why is Apple spending $3.2B to buy back expertise of their own making?

• Is this 'new Apple innovating'?

• Apple share price falls 5%.

Google buys Nest - Wall Street reaction:

• Strategic investment for Google from right under Apple's nose. Wake up Apple!

• Google buys company founded by the guy who masterminded the iPod.

• Google invests in the 'next big thing', gets the drop on Apple.

• Google pays $3.2B for startup - must have big plans.

• Google share price jumps 10%.

• Reply 186 of 337
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet they'll be pulled from Apple Retail Stores soon....

And this is why Apple did not buy them... They are not selling well from the Apple store. If they sold really well, then maybe Apple would have maybe went to buy them. But then again, that "high" of price... I think someone is cooking the books. You know since Google put in start up funds... then bought them for outrages price. HMMMM.

If Jobs was still there in Apple, the NEST would already be pulled from Apple retail stores and the Apple website.

• Reply 187 of 337
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Apple buys Nest - Wall Street reaction:

• Why did Apple let Fadell go in the first place?
    • <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why is Apple spending $3.2B to buy back expertise of their own making?</span>

• <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Is this 'new</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> Apple innovating'?</span>

• <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Apple share price falls 5%.</span>

Google buys Nest - Wall Street reaction:

• Strategic investment for Google from right under Apple's nose. Wake up Apple!
    • Google buys company founded by the guy who masterminded the iPod.
    • Google invests in the 'next big thing', gets the drop on Apple.
    • Google pays $3.2B for startup - must have big plans.

• Google share price jumps 10%.
    Heh, actually Apple was one of the big name tech companies up on the day. And up after hours.
  • Reply 188 of 337
    What a sad news !

I used to respect Nest as a talented and innovative company, it will now just become yet another acquisition to channel Google Advertising... I bought several Nests 2 years ago, I would never have bought a Google Thermostad... Too bad... Ebay to the rescue.

For those of you that think it is not gonna change anything, remember when YouTube was ad and malware adware (Google ) free ?

As for Tony, I also had genuine high estime for this guy and what he had done at Apple and Nest... Tony really ? Did you need those additional 3.2B in your bank account ? Is there anyone left in Silicon Valley what would not drop his pants and bend over in front of Schmidt ?
  • Reply 189 of 337
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Every product on the market will soon be a connected device. Your fridge, oven, all of it. How can Google and Nest compete with LG, Whirlpool, GE, and all of the other established home players out there? And they will surely connect to an iPhone or iPad. I say this is a game for third-party companies who can focus on their own products with iOS or Android connectivity.

Google understand Android everywhere.    They don't want another os coming along that sneaks in the way they have snuck in underneath Microsoft.    

• Reply 190 of 337
    frdslls wrote: »
    What a sad news !

I used to respect Nest as a talented and innovative company, it will now just become yet another acquisition to channel Google Advertising... I bought several Nests 2 years ago, I would never have bought a Google Thermostad... Too bad... Ebay to the rescue.

For those of you that think it is not gonna change anything, remember when YouTube was ad and malware adware (Google ) free ?

As for Tony, I also had genuine high estime for this guy and what he had done at Apple and Nest... Tony really ? Did you need those additional 3.2B in your bank account ? Is there anyone left in Silicon Valley what would not drop his pants and bend over in front of Schmidt ?
    Fadell is filthy rich now and will be a media darling for a while. I'm sure he'll be on CNBC tomorrow, and no doubt The Verge already called asking for an interview. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 191 of 337
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

If this kind of product is not within Apple's business plan, then it's good that Apple (Tim Cook) didn't get distracted by buying it just to keep someone else from getting it. It takes discipline to pass on opportunities that are not right for the business plan, especially so when you got a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket.

Google, on the other hand, has a business plan that amounts to throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. Google jumps into one thing or another and back out, there's no rhyme or reason to the directions they go, or the money they spend... and yet only the search engine is making them money. Nest is today's plaything, after a while Google will be distracted by something else.

I'm sorry. I really disagree. If Apple had bought Nest, everybody would be saying "Finally; about time!".

Apple felt the Nest thermostat system was so Apple-like in it's approach (iPod Fadell), that they featured an entire web presence for them on Apple's own web site. And then after that, Apple began to stock the product in the Apple stores and online. The iOS app for the Nest is great, and Apple loved to highlight it (as they do with various home lighting control systems and other home automation products and accompanying Apps)

Nest was not just a "distraction" for Apple.

• Reply 192 of 337
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know...

You can buy a programmable device (about the size of a quarter) with an ARM CPU, DRAM, A few sensors (like a thermometer, motion detector, etc.), audible and visual alarms, encryption, Bluetooth 4.0 radio, logging, 2 year battery, case, packaging, shipping, documentation, SDK, etc. -- for $25 (or less) for quantity 1. They're called beacons.

I don't know much about Nest -- but I don't believe there is too much hardware cost in an "intelligent thermostat" or an "intelligent smoke detector" -- especially if the "intelligence" doesn't need to reside in the device itself.

From what I've heard, Nest makes devices that are at Apple's level of quality, reliability, ease-of-use, UX...

An interesting thought occurs... The $99 AppleTV has an A5 APU, RAM, WiFi, USB, Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0...

You could sprinkle $25 beacons (with thermometers/sensors) throughout your home (and one as the thermostat) -- the AppleTV would contain the intelligence -- then you could monitor the temperature/smoke/radon/security in multiple rooms and take appropriate action as necessary. All this could be easily setup through iTunes/AppleTV/iPhone Remote -- and securely controlled/monitored with any iDevice

Yeah, Apple could do that someday.

If they had bought Nest, they could do it next week.

• Reply 193 of 337

Mystery solved...

Now we know where Tony took this picture of himself next to the red mac pro, that made the news few weeks ago... 

Schmidt's bedroom.

• Reply 194 of 337
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Ya' know...

You can buy a programmable device (about the size of a quarter) with an ARM CPU, DRAM, A few sensors (like a thermometer, motion detector, etc.), audible and visual alarms, encryption, Bluetooth 4.0 radio, logging, 2 year battery, case, packaging, shipping, documentation, SDK, etc. -- for $25 (or less) for quantity 1. They're called beacons.

I don't know much about Nest -- but I don't believe there is too much hardware cost in an "intelligent thermostat" or an "intelligent smoke detector" -- especially if the "intelligence" doesn't need to reside in the device itself.

From what I've heard, Nest makes devices that are at Apple's level of quality, reliability, ease-of-use, UX...

An interesting thought occurs... The $99 AppleTV has an A5 APU, RAM, WiFi, USB, Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0...

You could sprinkle $25 beacons (with thermometers/sensors) throughout your home (and one as the thermostat) -- the AppleTV would contain the intelligence -- then you could monitor the temperature/smoke/radon/security in multiple rooms and take appropriate action as necessary. All this could be easily setup through iTunes/AppleTV/iPhone Remote -- and securely controlled/monitored with any iDevice

Yeah, Apple could do that someday.
    If they had bought Nest, they could do it next week.

My point was that Apple can do this, better, today, for half the price:
    • $99 AppleTV
    • $25 Thermostat beacon
  • Reply 195 of 337
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I really disagree. If Apple had bought Nest, everybody would be saying "Finally; about time!".
    Apple felt the Nest thermostat system was so Apple-like in it's approach (iPod Fadell), that they featured an entire web presence for them on Apple's own web site. And then after that, Apple began to stock the product in the Apple stores and online. The iOS app for the Nest is great, and Apple loved to highlight it (as they do with various home lighting control systems and other home automation products and accompanying Apps)
    Nest was not just a "distraction" for Apple.
    Apple features beats headphones all over their stores. Should they buy beats? If Apple wanted nest they would have made a play for them. But they didn't. So either nest doesn't have IP Apple wants or it's like the cnet article said, nest is about design not groundbreaking technology and Apple already owns design.
  • Reply 196 of 337

GOOG up 2 Billion + in after hours trading.  This sale is looking less overpriced and more like a free pick up at this point.

• Reply 197 of 337
    Deleted.
  • Reply 198 of 337
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Now I have to take out and replace my two Nest units. What a waste of my time, energy, and hope

No way I would EVER allow Google to monitor my home activities

And yet, you allowed a small, relatively untested (privacy-wise) company that was primed for purchase, monitor your home activities?

Not to pick on you in particular, but ALL of this stuff, everything from where you live, when you're home, what you buy to who your friends are and what you do with them is NOT something to be shared with for-profit companies, period. No matter who they are - EVER.

Data will always flow to its highest-value use, and these days that's Google or the other data mining companies.
  • Reply 199 of 337
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

-snip-

Ah, but this could be different.

IF (and only if) this kind of system could be built where all the data stays on site, controlled with a smart device under your full control, like an Apple TV (or new Apple Home), then we'd be talking about a fantastic solution.
  • Reply 200 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Talking of companies Apple can buy, I don't think many people consider EchoStar as part of that list. This is a massive advantage to Apple from some perspectives.

- allows Apple to break last mile delivery of content for Apple TV. They can use EchoStar's targeted satellite feed, so customers can get anything they want to watch on iTunes "streamed" directly from the sky.

- EchoStar owns the patents and technology of SlingBox. This could be crucial in some years, as place and time shifting become bigger solutions in the market.

- it probably is the best way to get Apple a foothold in living room. Existing Apple TV box is not even close to cutting it!

- Most importantly, EchoStar already has content agreements and distribution agreements with every that matters! Apple need not waste time on this, and can probably piggy back on top of EchoStar.

Most importantly, EchoStar is a Satellite Point of presence corporation for decades.