Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Comments

• Reply 121 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Tesla's a ridiculously overvalued company (not counting the premium that will have to be paid on top of that). Apple should stay as far away from it as possible.

Google can have it.

Square, on the other hand...

And Nest was not overvalued at $3.2Bn??? I am glad Apple is not joining this "let's make a bonfire out of our cash" contest.

• Reply 122 of 337
    hmurchison wrote: »

The Fisync tech is probably their coup de grace.   Since they aren't charging financial institutions more that ACH (Automated Clearing House) transaction yet they can deliver instantaneous transaction they could be a boon ...

How are they able to do that? That sounds like a free lunch, and I don't believe in free lunches.
  • Reply 123 of 337
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    The only company I'd support Apple buying is Nintendo. I say that as both an Apple customer and shareholder. Bringing the Nintendo brand and characters to Apple would be a smart move and would totally re-energize the Nintendo platform. Apple TV becomes the next generation Wii with an App Store and game rentals. All games go exclusive for iOS devices.

Nest for 3.2B seems insane. The question is, could Apple spend 3.2 billion to build Nest? For sure. That money is better didn't elsewhere. And if they want to get into smoke detectors and thermostats, they can roll their own solution for a lot less than Google spent, I would imagine.
  • Reply 124 of 337
    Really think that apple should invest their money as well in companies that coincide so well with their iOS ecosystem. I also think that it's sad that successes such as this product from former employees of apple should be careful when allowing the competition to get their hands on a company such as this. Really don't think Google will make the product any better or allow it to get better for us which love Apple.
  • Reply 125 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

You have no idea how well the Nest products are selling from Apple Retail.  And the more I think about this, the less I am surprised by it.  First all of, Nest already had Google Ventures money in it.  So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Google might just write a check for one of the startups it has funded.

Apple buys a lot of companies...but they don't buy everyone.  We also have no idea if Apple made a play on them but I'd be very surprised if Apple didn't know in advance that Nest was being courted by Google for sale.  One thing we know from Apple is that they won't overpay for a company and $3.2b is a lot of coin.  That being sad, at least Nest makes a real manufactured product(s) and not some iOS/Android app.

Apple and Google compete in many places but not in all.  We have no idea if home automation was something Apple really wanted to pursue.  Tim Cook has said before that they say no to most ideas...very few actually make it to product.  On the other hand, Google has no qualms with keeping an every growing number of "balls in the air".  Some of those companies do well, and others don't work out.  Nest already has 2+ years of sales, likely a product pipeline of unannounced stuff and we have no idea what Google themselves were developing in house that might be moved over to Nest.

My real concern is Nest data since I've never been comfortable with Google and their data policies.  I'lll take Fadell's word (for now) on Nest data not being used for anything other than Nest products.  I think Nest recognizes that many of their customers are very Pro-Apple (they easily have the app download and usage data).

I think apple's strategy is never to by anything that expensive (have they even bought anything for over $100MM? They did TRY to buy Dropbox, it's true...

• Reply 126 of 337
    marubeni wrote: »

And Nest was not overvalued at $3.2Bn??? I am glad Apple is not joining this "let's make a bonfire out of our cash" contest.

Hmm... I don't recall saying it was not? In fact, I think it's the contrary.
  • Reply 127 of 337
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In other words Google is the Santa Claus for adults.

Well, if you view Santa as the creepy old guy that watches you through you window, yes, just like that.

• Reply 128 of 337
    Collection of user data to fuel advertising, of course.  That is Google's strategy in everything - collect personal data, and then sell you to advertisers based on that.  When thinking about anything that Google does in the business world, you have to start your thoughts with the simple fact that they are an advertising company, period.  

Something like this will be a piffling data source for Google.
  • Reply 129 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm... I don't recall saying it was not? In fact, I think it's the contrary.

No, you didn't say one way or another, but to me, this is much crazier than the Motorola acquisition. Maybe GOOG should declare a dividend, if cash is burning a hole in their pocket.

• Reply 130 of 337
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    If Apple actually wanted them, Nest would have been theirs.

I'm pretty sure Tim and co. know exactly what to acquire and exactly when to do it.

Gotta love the rookies around here that still think Apple Apple *knows* a company, sees what they do, doesn't care to buy them for months/years, and then suddenly slaps their forehead outta the clear blue sky when they're acquired by someone else.

Companies are bought and sold every damn day. Apple - OF ALL TECH COMPANIES - knows this. Tim even made it very clear that Apple's acquisitions will not be many, but they WILL be very specific and very deliberate. Quality over quantity.
  • Reply 131 of 337
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone please explain how Tony Fadell is worth $3B.

How much is Jony Ive worth for Apple? $3B is pocket change for Google. Good design cost money. Simple.

• Reply 132 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who is Google selling data to and why would they do it? If they simply sold off the information it wouldn't be long before advertisers wouldn't need their services. No, I would think they guard it like the crown jewels just as Apple does. IMHO It doesn't leave their control short of a court order.

Google is selling data indirectly, via ad targeting. Their argument is, of course, that they are doing you a favor (but not inundating you with MaxiPads ads, or whatever). In any case, AdBlock is your friend -- it certainly is mine.

• Reply 133 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Google sells its customer data. Without it their stock is no greater than $100/share.

No matter how many times you say it, it doesn't become any more true or more logical.  You even contradict your own logic.  If Google is worth nothing without customer data, and if it sells away that valuable asset, what do they have to build value?  Nothing at all.  Therefore they don't sell data to advertisers.  What they actually do (and I know this because I had an internship with an on online advertising company) is sell advertising space.  The only data that advertisers can see in Google Adwords are the number of views and clicks that their ads received as well as other generic performance data.  There is no way to see who clicked.  There is no way to send ads to a particular individual, neither via personally identifying information nor via anonymized identification information (e.g. an advertising ID number or something).

• Reply 134 of 337
    Home Automation doesn't 'just work'... it is going to be full of low-margin junk from devices that are supposed to work together but don't. I have a Nest, it's good for what it does. I wouldn't spend billions to buy it and try turn it into yet another failed home-automation company.
  • Reply 135 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    marubeni wrote: »
    In any case, AdBlock is your friend -- it certainly is mine.

I use Ghostery, also worth consideration.
  • Reply 136 of 337
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Nest took their patent cues from Apple: Patent everything and anything. As a result they're pretty well stocked with IP considering how young they are.

That is what I mean. The only thing that makes sense with that price tag.
  • Reply 137 of 337
    Billion... As in [I]billion?[/I]
  • Reply 138 of 337
    Maybe Fadell and Andy Rubin can collaborate on a project to destroy Apple! Fun times ahead! /s
  • Reply 139 of 337
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Just what I need a Google bug in my home, telling them all my habits.
    GeoIP along with "smart" thermostats that "learn" when someone is home => total surveillance.
  • Reply 140 of 337
    my only problem with this (not a bad buy for google at all) is the changes that could come through. i own a nest. i like it very much indeed and it has saved me money. enough that i could buy two more nests.
    if google puts their software into this- i will not be happy. sorry droidboys, i know all your arguments for why android is better than iOS- but it looks paltry. sure it does some sweet things here and there, but it is buggy at times and just looks like iOS' little brother.
    hoping nest stays nest.