Tim Cook makes rare TV appearance to hype Apple-China Mobile deal

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In an effort to drum up enthusiasm among investors for his company's new agreement with China Mobile, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook participated in a rare TV interview on Wednesday, sharing the spotlight with Xi Guohua, the chairman of the world's largest wireless carrier.

Cook


Both Cook and Xi spoke with CNBC, and though the two parties revealed little, China Mobile's chairman did disclose that the carrier had netted 1.2 million total preorders for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c as of Jan. 13. Both devices are set to launch on China Mobile this Friday.

Cook referred to the agreement as a "watershed day," and praised China Mobile for having a "very fast network." It was a rare television interview appearance by the Apple CEO, who participated in a high-profile appearance on NBC in late 2012.



In his latest appearance, Cook spoke of the "deep respect" he and Apple have for China Mobile, saying he has been "incredibly impressed" with them thus far. Unsurprisingly, neither Xi nor Cook opted to give estimates on how many iPhones they believe China Mobile could sell in its first year.

"We see this as bringing the world's best smartphone to the very largest and now the fastest network in China," Cook told CNBC.

Both men also sat down for an interview with The Wall Street Journal this week, in which Cook hinted that both companies could expand their partnership in the future. While Cook declined to get into specific plans, it's likely that Apple will introduce cellular-capable iPads on China Mobile, as it has done on other partner carriers' networks.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    I wish Tim Cook wouldn't give interviews to CNBC. They are so anti-Apple it isn't even funny. This morning they had Walter Isaacson on to tell us that Google has taken the innovation crown from Apple.

  • Reply 2 of 68
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish Tim Cook wouldn't give interviews to CNBC. They are so anti-Apple it isn't even funny. This morning they had Walter Isaacson on to tell us that Google has taken the innovation crown from Apple.

    Isaacson has been on an anti-Apple crusade lately. I think the guy's ingratiating himself for his next book. Looks like he'd love to do one on Musk or Bezos or Page.

    He used to have something interesting to say, but not anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    Isaacson has been on an anti-Apple crusade lately. I think the guy's ingratiating himself for his next book. Looks like he'd love to do one on Musk or Bezos or Page.



    He used to have something interesting to say, but not anymore.

    And just because he wrote a book on Steve Jobs doesn't make him  an authority on Apple the company.

  • Reply 4 of 68
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "neither Xi nor Cook opted to give estimates on how many iPhones they believe China Mobile could sell in its first year."

    Don't even care about that. I just want to know what the iPhone price is, and how much of that price goes to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

     

    I wish Tim Cook wouldn't give interviews to CNBC. They are so anti-Apple it isn't even funny. This morning they had Walter Isaacson on to tell us that Google has taken the innovation crown from Apple.


     

    Apple are involved with Pro Desktops, Standard Desktops, Laptops, Tablets and Mobile Phones. Google are involved with Laptops, Tablets, Mobile Phones, GoogleGlass, Self-drive cars, Robotics and now Networked Home Accessories - and, of course, Search. Google's portfolio is more varied. Self-drive cars and Robotics have an exciting flare to them, a flare that Apple seems to lack at the moment. There is a lot of expectation for Apple to develop disruptive technology. They have earned that from past performance. It seems any development less than being market-disruptive, no matter how it may reflect admirable advances over previous iterations, gets a 'meh' from many Tech media sources.  



     

  • Reply 6 of 68
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,147member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

     

    I wish Tim Cook wouldn't give interviews to CNBC. They are so anti-Apple it isn't even funny. This morning they had Walter Isaacson on to tell us that Google has taken the innovation crown from Apple.


    google bought it, any company with more money than they know what to do can buy what they can not do themselves. 

  • Reply 7 of 68

    Btw, AI, Tim was not 'hyping' anything. Lousy headline.

     

    He talked about how important the China market is, the role of China Mobile within that, the fact that they have (now) the largest and fastest network in the world, and how much respect he has for them. He pointedly refused to answer any questions on sales estimates. (The CM head said that there were 'millions in pre-orders', that was about the extent of it).

  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

     

    google bought it, any company with more money than they know what to do can buy what they can not do themselves. 


     

    Should I trot out this line every time that Apple buys a company...

  • Reply 9 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,951member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish Tim Cook wouldn't give interviews to CNBC. They are so anti-Apple it isn't even funny. This morning they had Walter Isaacson on to tell us that Google has taken the innovation crown from Apple.

    Granting interviews is one way to make them pro-Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    So buying a ac control and smoke derector company for 3bill make it better thank appl?

    Who knows what apple is working on! google nust says every move they make.. apple can buy anything they want and then some..
  • Reply 11 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Granting interviews is one way to make them pro-Apple.
    Doubt it. Larry Page doesn't give them interviews yet their coverage of Google is much more positive than Apple. Same with Amazon.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,447member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

     

     

    Apple are involved with Pro Desktops, Standard Desktops, Laptops, Tablets and Mobile Phones. Google are involved with Laptops, Tablets, Mobile Phones, GoogleGlass, Self-drive cars, Robotics and now Networked Home Accessories - and, of course, Search. Google's portfolio is more varied. Self-drive cars and Robotics have an exciting flare to them, a flare that Apple seems to lack at the moment. There is a lot of expectation for Apple to develop disruptive technology. They have earned that from past performance. It seems any development less than being market-disruptive, no matter how it may reflect admirable advances over previous iterations, gets a 'meh' from many Tech media sources.  



     


    And out of all of these things, what has Google done to make these better? Absolutely nothing. From what I see, most of the crap they release are total flops. 

  • Reply 13 of 68
    pembroke wrote: »
    Apple are involved with Pro Desktops, Standard Desktops, Laptops, Tablets and Mobile Phones. Google are involved with Laptops, Tablets, Mobile Phones, GoogleGlass, Self-drive cars, Robotics and now Networked Home Accessories - and, of course, Search. Google's portfolio is more varied. Self-drive cars and Robotics have an exciting flare to them, a flare that Apple seems to lack at the moment. There is a lot of expectation for Apple to develop disruptive technology. They have earned that from past performance. It seems any development less than being market-disruptive, no matter how it may reflect admirable advances over previous iterations, gets a 'meh' from many Tech media sources.  


     

    None of Google's many diversions are making them money. They are interesting, but interesting doesn't pay the bills.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    rogifan wrote: »
    Doubt it. Larry Page doesn't give them interviews yet their coverage of Google is much more positive than Apple. Same with Amazon.

    "Hate the Leader" is America's favorite game.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    None of Google's many diversions are making them money. They are interesting, but interesting doesn't pay the bills.

     

    Google's not paying its bills?

     

    Apple isn't putting any money into diversions?

  • Reply 16 of 68
    Google's not paying its bills?

    Apple isn't putting any money into diversions?

    Apple spends considerably less on their R&D. We already know this is a fact. They are more focused. Google is a riot of diversions, reflecting the attentions of their founders.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Apple spends considerably less on their R&D. We already know this is a fact. They are more focused. Google is a riot of diversions, reflecting the attentions of their founders.

     

    ... and, in the end, this might be Apple's downfall and Google's gain.

     

    Apple could be focusing on the wrong things, while Google's diversions help it gain experience in other fields.

     

    Only time will tell.

  • Reply 18 of 68
    512ke512ke Posts: 767member
    Google makes big money doing one thing and one thing only, selling advertising.

    They are like old school ABC or NBC.

    Nothing else Google does is making the big bucks.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    stefstef Posts: 87member

    There's thought: Just give the phones away and make it up on volume.

  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

     

    I wish Tim Cook wouldn't give interviews to CNBC. They are so anti-Apple it isn't even funny. This morning they had Walter Isaacson on to tell us that Google has taken the innovation crown from Apple.


    F**K Walter Isaacson and whoever agrees with him.

     

    Don't worry about it.

Sign In or Register to comment.