Apple agrees to pay $32.5M in refunds, settling App Store in-app purchase lawsuit with US government

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Unless there's something that Apple isn't revealing, I don't understand why the FTC got involved.  

To make a name for themselves and look like they were doing something about this HUGE issue.

Truth is, Apple basically gave refunds to anyone that asked. One time. If you were dumb enough not to follow their suggestions about parental controls etc that was on you.

Something "stinks" about the kid who ordered $thousands of dollars of in-app purchases.    The kid would of had to of made those purchases within 15 minutes AND with a password.   Hell...the app store makes you enter a password even for free applications (which drives me nuts).     So how did the kid make all those purchases without the parent knowing (and obviously without the parent properly setting up the device).      

Parents not paying attention. Not looking at what kid was downloading other than it was free. Telling kids password. Not setting up restrictions. And so on

My fav was the guy in the UK who out his credit card on his sons account/told kid password on account. Then didn't pay attention to credit card statements coming in because he had paid off account. Until he got a collection call for not paying his bill for three to four months. He demanded a refund but Apple refused because they were dozens of small charges over an extended period. So not an accident. He reported his tween age kid for credit card fraud.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Again kids should not have accounts of their own again be a parent it not like you give a kid a Credit Card and say go have fun. Until my kids can pay their own bills they only get what I buy for them or let them use. I have multiply iOS devices and one account and all apps are loaded onto the device, i never gave my kids free access to my accounts and never allow them free access to the itunes/app store. But then I never had $6000 bill.

The only reason google gives kids an account is so they can track their habit from day one, do not think they did it to be good to kids. Google wanted the ability to separate ever person in your house from a analytics stand point. Keep in mind in most every state in the US kids are not allow to buy things especially when a contract is involved and since itunes requires an agreement between you and them (a contract) and requires a CC (another contract) they could not give kids an account even though things are free there or you could use a gift card to buy.

Kids need a separate account because I'm not going to buy another $600 iPad Air for JUST my son to use. He uses my iPad Air about as much as I do -- we share it. I'd like to have my primary account which has all of my applications on it, all of my preferences. I'd then have a secondary, LIMITED account for my son so that he can play his games or use educational apps and not screw around with my settings (my kid is always moving my app icons around).

Just like I can have multiple accounts on my MacBook, I'd like them on my iPad as well.

• Reply 23 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Yup, if Apple would allow separate user accounts on the iPod touch/iPad, this wouldn't even be an issue. You'd have the primary account for the parents, and the secondary (you're ass isn't buying anything account) for the kids. Why they haven't done this yet is puzzling to me.

Why parents hand their infants a $600 phone is puzzling to me. There are some real winners out there.

• Reply 24 of 101
    Quote:

Kids need a separate account because I'm not going to buy another $600 iPad Air for JUST my son to use. He uses my iPad Air about as much as I do -- we share it. I'd like to have my primary account which has all of my applications on it, all of my preferences. I'd then have a secondary, LIMITED account for my son so that he can play his games or use educational apps and not screw around with my settings (my kid is always moving my app icons around).

Just like I can have multiple accounts on my MacBook, I'd like them on my iPad as well.

Buy your kid a set of LEGOs. Problem solved.

• Reply 25 of 101
    Quote:

That is the exact problem, the FTC has forced Apple's hand (wonder what is real back story) they have now reinforce the idea that people do not need to be responsible for their actions.

Actually, there has been a two-pronged effect. Idiot parents are still irresponsible AND the government can blackmail companies at will.

• Reply 26 of 101
    It amazes me how some of you are so confused by this.
    The in app purchase gimmick is rampent and sick. The app maker make a watered down product and then ask you to add on to it, at a price, to make it the way it should have been at time of download.
    FREE ain't always FREE.
    Angry Birds is one game in particular that does this sh**. You notice that as you progress through AB the physics changes.HMMM. At 45 degrees I should get max distance all the time , huh. Yeah right. You try and try to topple the blocks but to no avail. Then, VIOLA!!!! Angry Birds offers you, at a price, add-ons that can greatly improve your ability to knock sh** down.
    NOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAY!
  • Reply 27 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    maccherry wrote: »
    The in app purchase gimmick is rampent and sick. The app maker make a watered down product and then ask you to add on to it, at a price, to make it the way it should have been at time of download.
    FREE ain't always FREE.
    Angry Birds is one game in particular that does this sh**. You notice that as you progress through AB the physics changes.HMMM. At 45 degrees I should get max distance all the time , huh. Yeah right. You try and try to topple the blocks but to no avail. Then, VIOLA!!!! Angry Birds offers you, at a price, add-ons that can greatly improve your ability to knock sh** down.
    NOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAY!

It certainly gets abused but in no way would I define the entirety of in-app purchases a gimmick.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    maccherry wrote: »
    FREE ain't always FREE.
    NOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Looks like the birds aren't the only ones that are angry. :)

I have never made an in-app purchase and I play candy crush!
  • Reply 29 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It certainly gets abused but in no way would I define the entirety of in-app purchases a gimmick.

But it certainly has gotten perverted for its intended purpose. I used to laud Rovio for not partaking in the money grab but they've also turned to IAPs. I took my so off a iPod Touch and got him a PS Vita, I'd much rather pay $20 for a full game than $. 99 plus a multitude of IAPs that ultimately can cost way more than $20.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    But it certainly has gotten perverted for its intended purpose. I used to laud Rovio for not partaking in the money grab but they've also turned to IAPs. I took my so off a iPod Touch and got him a PS Vita, I'd much rather pay $20 for a full game than $. 99 plus a multitude of IAPs that ultimately can cost way more than $20.

People complain enough about Apple's App Store curation time and their rules. Will people be happy if they start to say "We think that's abusive use of the in-app system"?
  • Reply 31 of 101
    solipsismx wrote: »
    People complain enough about Apple's App Store curation time and their rules. Will people be happy if they start to say "We think that's abusive use of the in-app system"?

People will always complain, but I've always subscribed to a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Many devs prey on unsuspecting users and unfortunately the onus falls on Apple. There might not be spyware nor malware in the walled garden but some snakes have snuck in.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    My grandchildren have their own Apple ID's but there is no credit card associated with the accounts. If they get iTunes Gift cards then they have money. If they want money in their account, they come to me with cash and I transfer the amount to them. They learn about not being able to purchase something they want when they do not have the money.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    2old4fun wrote: »
    My grandchildren have their own Apple ID's but there is no credit card associated with the accounts. If they get iTunes Gift cards then they have money. If they want money in their account, they come to me with cash and I transfer the amount to them. They learn about not being able to purchase something they want when they do not have the money.

You should change your user name to 2smartn2old4fun. :lol:
  • Reply 34 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Actually it sounds like you need what is on the Mac which is multiply user logins to the ipad so each user can have their on user environment. 

Again kids do not need an itune/app store purchasing account nor does apple/google need to know who they are or track their user habits.

I know I am kind of the odd man out in this regards but more an more people tend to agree with me, kids should not and do not need an internet present when they are still under your roof and your responsible with everything they do. I am not sure why people think it is okay for their kids to be known by the world as well as have responsibilities that most adults fail at like making purchases and paying their bills.

• Reply 35 of 101

it seems that parents these days have been released of all responsibility for supervising their kids.and on top it, they get paid for being ignorant.

So, will those that get reimbursed for unauthorized app purchases delete those apps they didn't give their kids permission to buy? I highly doubt it.

A?s a result, Apple will probably require us to sign-in with every single app purchase in the future so as to avoid the litigious behavior of those that find it easier to sue than to set and enforce ground rules with their children. Guaranteed, those same parents will be the first ones to complain that they have to input their password with every purchase made.

• Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:

Actually it sounds like you need what is on the Mac which is multiply user logins to the ipad so each user can have their on user environment. 

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. "Account" was probably the wrong word to use. A different environment/login for each person. Full access for me, limited functionality for my son with no purchasing ability whatsoever.

• Reply 37 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why parents hand their infants a $600 phone is puzzling to me. There are some real winners out there.

Infants? What are you talking about? My son definitely isn't an infant.

Quote:

Buy your kid a set of LEGOs. Problem solved.

**Facepalm** Divert, DIVERT!

• Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:

Infants? What are you talking about? My son definitely isn't an infant.

Is your son racking up $6,000 bills for in-app purchases?

• Reply 39 of 101

Infants probably not either, but can cause several hundred dollars worth of damage with their drooling. :lol:
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Quote:

Hell no. He hasn't made any in-app purchases whatsoever.

I was talking more to the point of having a different, limited login setup for him where he wouldn't even have the opportunity to buy anything. PERIOD. And he'd be able to leave my crap alone as well in his own walled off iOS login environment on my iPad.

Me: Email, Work Apps, Safari... pretty much full access.

Son: Access to his educational apps and games. That's it. Nothing else.