Apple seeds second OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks beta to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Fix the mess that iBooks is in!

I know a lot of people have complaints about the app, but I have a problem with the books themselves. They are .epub files, which are just HTML zipped up and encrypted. They don't look good in my opinion, I would rather they were PDFs typeset by a pro typesetter.

• Reply 22 of 60
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Nice to see most people having such minor issues with Maverics.  It's a complete POS as far as I am concerned.

I have had 4 complete system freezes on a 2012 15" MBPR.  People joke about Windows and the blue screen of death, but that was an order of magnitude better than this.  At least windows realised it had carked it.  Mavericks is so flawed it doesn't even know anything noteworthy has happened.  When you restart, it doesn't  realise it didn't power down gracefully and prompt to submit a report to Apple.

A €2,000+ machine running what Apple claim is the worlds most advanced OS and the combination is completely unreliable.

I had no problems with ML.

I suspect Apple have devoted most of their best resources to iOS and this is a consequence.

• Reply 23 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ascii wrote: »
    I know a lot of people have complaints about the app, but I have a problem with the books themselves. They are .epub files, which are just HTML zipped up and encrypted. They don't look good in my opinion, I would rather they were PDFs typeset by a pro typesetter.

Couldn't that be the fault of the .pdf that you're looking at ATM? I created a few photo albums of my friends' kids, same some text in it and they look great in iBooks. Even when I zoom in, seeing it full screen on my 30" - looks nice. Nice typeset if I may say so myself (just copied the style from Apple).

Do all of your .pdf's look bad?
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Nice to see most people having such minor issues with Maverics.  It's a complete POS as far as I am concerned.

I presume you have undertaken many support steps (reinstall etc)? Still no improvements? Bare bone OSX without any peripherals? Genius Bar in your location, or a friend?
  • Reply 24 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Not happy with an Apple product?

How extremely out of character for you.

In your case, I'd put it down to user error, seeing as you seem to complain about using...well, everything Apple-related.

Trying giving your machines to somebody who has basic computer knowledge and see if that fixes the problem for you.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Oh, I'm with having the option even if it's hidden but I just don't see Apple going that route. Jobs said they lost the PC war and in a way they did but they are winning the Devices war and making the Mac more of a device seems to be working. For most (if not all) of us on this site that will bring about some short and long term issues but I don't see that changing and frankly I'm glad the Mac is still getting so much attention under this new Devices umbrella.

Wanted to thumbs up you, but 'I'm over my limit for rating content. Please try again later.'
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Not happy with an Apple product?

How extremely out of character for you.

In your case, I'd put it down to user error, seeing as you seem to complain about using...well, everything Apple-related.

Trying giving your machines to somebody who has basic computer knowledge and see if that fixes the problem for you.

How unlike you not to post some juvenile pic to show your playground wit.

I have been using computer systems since the days you wrote programs  for them on punch cards.  This is a failure of Mavericks.  I have not had  a Mac OS fail like this since you loaded the OS from floppies.

You take the attitude that customers should be happy when premium priced products fail and that they should accept the situation without murmur and feel grateful to Apple for taking their money and giving them poor value in return.

You should go on the other thread about critical GPU failures in 2011 Macbook Pros and tell the AI staff and others that the problems are actually just user error because Apple is perfect and everything they make is perfect and anyone who says anything less is a blasphemer.

• Reply 27 of 60
    I like Apple.
    I like when Apple makes us move forward and redefines technology.
    I don't like when they do this and break what used to work fine.
    Apple, please fix mail on the mac, it is still broken.
    I also didn't like how you introduced a new iWork suite without telling us all the stuff that it broke from the previous version.
    I understand Apple doesn't want to advertise the %u201Cnot so great news%u201D in the keynote products intro, but please, document the new stuff so we at least know what we're updating to...
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:

I presume you have undertaken many support steps (reinstall etc)? Still no improvements? Bare bone OSX without any peripherals? Genius Bar in your location, or a friend?

The problem is not readily reproducible.  On one day it happened twice then it has gone weeks without incident then happened again out of the blue.  I thought the latest OS update had included a fix but then it happened again two days ago.  I haven't reinstalled the OS - that's just so windows, but I might try that.  There are no peripherals involved.  The Apple support suggestion was reset the pram and boot in safe mode.  I can't see how either suggestion would help.  If it were something as fundamental as PRAM I doubt it would be so infrequent and unpredictable.  I can't imagine how booting into safe mode could tell me anything as the problem is not repeatable on a short time frame.

There isn't an Apple store in Ireland so no Genius bar, even though Apple channels billions through the country.  There are others on the Apple support forums with the same problem.  I think my best option would be to roll back to ML if the next OS update doesn't include a fix.

• Reply 29 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Couldn't that be the fault of the .pdf that you're looking at ATM? I created a few photo albums of my friends' kids, same some text in it and they look great in iBooks. Even when I zoom in, seeing it full screen on my 30" - looks nice. Nice typeset if I may say so myself (just copied the style from Apple).

Do all of your .pdf's look bad?

I'm talking about paperback novels bought from the iBookstore. They're not PDFs at all, just HTML files. The typesetting is about as good as this website. There are no real page boundaries or page numbers, it just dynamically resizes it to whatever display you're using and often loses your place by a page or two when doing it.

For my money I would prefer they just took the best edition of the real book - i.e. the hardback typically, and scanned that in to a PDF (not crappy HTML) with illustrations and identical page boundaries and all. 

• Reply 30 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Cnocbui, have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    The problem is not readily reproducible.  On one day it happened twice then it has gone weeks without incident then happened again out of the blue.  I thought the latest OS update had included a fix but then it happened again two days ago.

That's annoying. I like my problems to be consistent; easier to fix than some random error.
    I haven't reinstalled the OS - that's just so windows, but I might try that.

I used to do that 3 or 4 times a year. Every time I had a new machine, with all it's problems, but those were by design hehe
    There are no peripherals involved.  The Apple support suggestion was reset the pram and boot in safe mode.  I can't see how either suggestion would help.  If it were something as fundamental as PRAM I doubt it would be so infrequent and unpredictable.  I can't imagine how booting into safe mode could tell me anything as the problem is not repeatable on a short time frame.

Probably a default answer @ Apple.
    There isn't an Apple store in Ireland so no Genius bar, even though Apple channels billions through the country.

What happend to the one in Belfast?
    I think my best option would be to roll back to ML if the next OS update doesn't include a fix.

That woud rule out the OS software. Give that a go. If on SSD it only takes 20 minutes for the OS.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Mail works fine at my end. Sometimes it takes its time after I close the app, but when running it runs smoothly. No issues whatsoever.

To be honest it is for me but my wife's MBP i5 if let go to sleep with Mail running will hang mail on re waking. She has to force quit Mail often times and once restarted is fine. I should check / repair her Mac's directories now I think about it and them maybe permissions.

I did notice this latest 0.9.2 (13C39) has temporarily broken ARD, so if anyone needs ARD think twice before updating.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    ascii wrote: »
    I'm talking about paperback novels bought from the iBookstore. They're not PDFs at all, just HTML files. The typesetting is about as good as this website. There are no real page boundaries or page numbers, it just dynamically resizes it to whatever display you're using and often loses your place by a page or two when doing it.

For my money I would prefer they just took the best edition of the real book - i.e. the hardback typically, and scanned that in to a PDF (not crappy HTML) with illustrations and identical page boundaries and all. 

Oops, my dumb. Ok, html.

Well, a scan would have the unwanted side effect of not being able to choose from portrait and landscape orientation. On the iPad the page numbering changes with it.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The only Mavericks Mail.app issues I recall reading about involved Gmail accounts set up. This is easily alleviated for the time by simply turning on forwarding and having it sent to your iCloud email. If you don't want it clutter your iCloud account you can set up a rule so that it's separated into a separate folder or simply create a new iCloud account just for this purpose.

These aren't things I expect the average user do and this is a major issue with a shipping product but I find on this site and others I wonder why I see so much complaining about the symptoms and so little attempt at finding a resolution. There will always be SW issues and I'd like to think that those that frequent tech-forums are hear for answers but that is clearly just naivety on part. Oh well, 10.9.2 will be here shortly to resolve some issues and cause others.

They fixed the GMail issue didn't they? Or is that only in 10.9.2 ... I forget. I forget a lot these days ... :\
  • Reply 35 of 60
    To be honest it is for me but my wife's MBP i5 if let go to sleep with Mail running will hang mail on re waking. She has to force quit Mail often times and once restarted is fine. I should check / repair her Mac's directories now I think about it and them maybe permissions.

"Worth a shot"

And yes, do close Mail before hibernating.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    philboogie wrote: »
    "Worth a shot"

And yes, do close Mail before hibernating.

I tell her that every time she hibernates but I have to wait months before she comes out of the cave. ;)
  • Reply 37 of 60
    I tell her that every time she hibernates but I have to wait months before she comes out of the cave. ;)

Ah, your wife. For a minute there I...

edit: just don't put her to sleep.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

That is why I don't use Mavericks.  It has been a clusterf**k since its release with constant mail problems and other application problems.  Mail was fine with previous releases, but they mucked it up with Mavericks.  No wonder it is free…they did a half-ass job producing it.  A better solution is to stick with Mountain Lion since Mavericks did not add anything worth using.

Funny, I’m very happy with Mavericks. No email problems even with numerous active accounts including Gmail. I guess you and I live in different universes. Arguing for this or that feature, or how a feature works is one thing. To call Mavericks a cluster**k is a personal opinion, and not one I accept.

• Reply 39 of 60
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They don't look good in my opinion, I would rather they were PDFs typeset by a pro typesetter.

PDF doesn’t allow for font changing, size changing, contrast changing, or anything else that makes a book readable on all iOS devices and to all people.

Also no interactivity.

Originally Posted by 123m4c View Post

I like Apple.

Take your false concern somewhere else.

Apple, please fix mail on the mac, it is still broken.

Nope.

I also didn't like how you introduced a new iWork suite without telling us all the stuff that it broke from the previous version.

Except they didn’t do this.

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

To call Mavericks a cluster**k is a personal opinion, and not one I accept.

It’s shill-stones. I wouldn’t expect anything better.

• Reply 40 of 60
    Is there a button to AirPlay in QuickTime Player yet and other Apple-provided apps like iOS has?!