Massachusetts lawsuit accuses Apple of misusing customers' personal info

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

These three lowlife losers from Mass. are just looking for a quick buck. Suing because they were asked for a zipcode when making a credit card transaction? Maybe it's in place for security reasons and to protect against fraud. I ordered something yesterday from a site, and get this, I know it sounds crazy, but I had to provide my personal info! The bastards! Maybe I should sue the retailer?

These three people who were apparently dropped on their heads when they were infants should be banned from ever purchasing any Apple product for the rest of their lives.

Since these three lowlife losers have such a huge problem with giving out their zipcode when making a credit card purchase, then hopefully these losers will be the victims of identity theft very soon.

I hope that they get their cards stolen, and then the thieves go crazy with the cards, at places that don't ask for zipcodes, obviously.

To sum things up, screw them. Somebody really rich should sue them back, hit them with a ton of nonsense lawsuits.

• Reply 22 of 88

Ah... Looks like the AAPL shorts got their groove back. Down $13 today based on... the sky is blue?

• Reply 23 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    If I'm traveling outside my area of residence, doesn't matter which State I'm in (including Mass.), if I purchase gas on my credit card I'm asked to enter my zip code. This looks to me like governmental abuse of the legal system, for profit.

Isn't that only when paying directly at the pump? I've never been asked for any personal information, even a zipcode, if paying inside (as long as the card was signed). Outside with no one verifying the card you're using looks legitimate it becomes no different than online purchases where addresses need to match for the transaction to go thru. In this case apparently Apple employees were still asking for a zip even with the card in hand? Doesn't mean they were doing anything particularly wrong but it is pretty unusual when you and the card are both present.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled back in March that it was a violation to require a zip code, then use a reverse phone book technique to figure out the customer's address, and then send direct advertising to that address. The court awarded no damages though. Similar judgements have occurred in a handful of other states. However, unless the plaintiffs can prove that Apple acted similarly - i.e. not only asked for a zip code but also figured out addresses from it to send direct advertising, or sold the information to a third party who then did that, it's hard to see how this case will succeed.

• Reply 25 of 88
    muppetry wrote: »
    The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled back in March that it was a violation to require a zip code, then use a reverse phone book technique to figure out the customer's address, and then send direct advertising to that address. The court awarded no damages though. Similar judgements have occurred in a handful of other states. However, unless the plaintiffs can prove that Apple acted similarly - i.e. not only asked for a zip code but also figured out addresses from it to send direct advertising, or sold the information to a third party who then did that, it's hard to see how this case will succeed.

By adding the "profiting from the information" accusation they may be trying to pressure Apple into a settlement rather than taking it to trial. I would doubt Apple wants to be ordered into compliance with discovery requests on how or with who customer information is shared. If it gets to that point I personally believe Apple will settle out of court for a relatively minor amount of money. As I mentioned earlier stuff coming out of the discovery process in a privacy case often ends up as fodder for the press.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    "Forced" - so the Apple Store employee held a gun to their head? What can the store do if you say no? or make one up?
    If unwanted marketing materials were hazardous I'd have been dead several times over long ago.

And how is your zip code any more personally identifying that whatever info is encoded on your credit card - and your email address if you use that for a copy of your receipt?
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Way offtopic, but do these pumps accept Canadian postal codes, or do they need to be all numeric US zip codes? Would Canadians have to go inside to pay in this case?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

When I'm buying gas, the auto-pump always asks for the ZIP code, I'm like "Dude, I am safe pumping gas here because NO one knows by ZIP code." But maybe I should be, like, "Dude! They want to know my ZIP code! Ouch, that really hurts! And privacy! Only the US Post Office gets to know that!"

• Reply 28 of 88
    I have to enter my zip code, on every Amex transaction at the gas pumps. That guy suing Amex and the oil companies too?
  • Reply 29 of 88
    rkevwill wrote: »
    I have to enter my zip code, on every Amex transaction at the gas pumps. That guy suing Amex and the oil companies too?

Do you have to do the same thing if you pay inside, presenting the cashier with your credit card? Outside there's no one verifying it's your credit card and no place for a signature.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Remember back in 2010, when three enterprising California lawyers filed a class action against Apple, claiming that they were duped by advertising when their iPads shut down after being used in hot sunlight? A few months later a judge tossed that one. These suits are in the same frivolous class as the "sue McDonald's because the coffee's too hot."
  • Reply 31 of 88
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg Thurman View Post

If I'm traveling outside my area of residence, doesn't matter which State I'm in (including Mass.), if I purchase gas on my credit card I'm asked to enter my zip code. This looks to me like governmental abuse of the legal system, for profit.

No, it's for your protection and the merchant's. It's good (but not perfect) odds that someone who steals your physical credit card doesn't know your zip code. If the credit card issuer can't authenticate the zip code, the approval doesn't go through. Moreover, if the card gets disapproved too many times, the credit card's fraud department may put a hold on your card. Happened to me about a year ago in Florida, though I live in the Midwest, due to a defective card reader at a gas station. When I discovered that evening at a hotel that the card had been stopped, I called the 800 number on the back of the card. Once they verified that the card was still in possession of its rightful user, they lifted the hold immediately.

• Reply 32 of 88

Only very rarely. Sometimes it asks for it the zip code on those scanners at the cash register, however they sometimes ask to see the CC, so they can verify the security code. Usually with my amex, they never ask for anything. Below $50 most places, I never even have to sign.

• Reply 33 of 88
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Do you have to do the same thing if you pay inside, presenting the cashier with your credit card? Outside there's no one verifying it's your credit card and no place for a signature.

It depends on the charged amount, among other things.  I've noticed that above a certain amount, my ZIP is also required in a indoor-face-to-face sale.

I guess Massachusetts doesn't consider credit card fraud a problem there...?

• Reply 34 of 88
    There’s nothing nefarious going on here.

In my own little company, we have three different discount rates as per our agreement with VISA/MasterCard; all expressly related to security:
    Cheapest Rate: Direct swipe of credit card through machine at time of purchase.
    Slightly Higher Rate: Key in credit card number and expiration date, as well as CVVS code, street address number, and zip code.
    Highest Rate: Key in credit card number and expiration date only.

So, let me get this straight. These people want their credit card transactions to be LESS secure?!?
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Apple asks for zip at the end of the transaction to help determine where to put new stores. Data is only shared with partners assisting in real estate strategy. Pointless lawsuit. Pointless article.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    People don't go out of their way to do these things. They would be paying lot more in lawyers fee than whatever that they would end up getting from apple.
    They clearly have some ulterior motives(apple shorts, getting paid by apple competitors, etc)
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Utter hogwash. If they get any traction it will be interesting to see what happens to Google as Google gives the personal information and location of every Android user to every app developer in Google Play at purchase of an app without authorization from Android customers.
  • Reply 38 of 88

No he is NOT right. I simply said, "You want to possess something I own and you want it. But if I take your card (it was a manual transaction) and it turns out you are using (knowingly) a card which can't be used, and I can't collect automatically, then I have to write to you to have you pay me in some other way and I don't have your information, you have committed a crime." So in that case, I prefer to NOT do business with you because I do not know you. Whoever came up with that law (and there are a lot of them in WIS) was never a businessperson and prefers one side over the other in the transaction (that is, the businessperson takes it in the shorts). He could very well have said, "If that's the case I don't want you to sell me this because I would then have to be an asshole." But he didn't because he wasn't. You, however, have way too much time on your hands.

• Reply 39 of 88
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    javacowboy wrote: »
    Way offtopic, but do these pumps accept Canadian postal codes, or do they need to be all numeric US zip codes? Would Canadians have to go inside to pay in this case?

It depends on the gas station. Speedway in Ohio will accept a Canadian postal code. BP and many others will not and you'll have to go inside to prepay and sign the credit card slip.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

No he is NOT right. I simply said, "You want to possess something I own and you want it. But if I take your card (it was a manual transaction) and it turns out you are using (knowingly) a card which can't be used, and I can't collect automatically, then I have to write to you to have you pay me in some other way and I don't have your information, you have committed a crime." So in that case, I prefer to NOT do business with you because I do not know you. Whoever came up with that law (and there are a lot of them in WIS) was never a businessperson and prefers one side over the other in the transaction (that is, the businessperson takes it in the shorts). He could very well have said, "If that's the case I don't want you to sell me this because I would then have to be an asshole." But he didn't because he wasn't. You, however, have way too much time on your hands.

This is pretty much why consumers why consumers consistently choose chains like McDonalds and Starbucks over small businesses. Can you imagine one of those going out saying "Wisconsin privacy laws are stupid and I don't like them. I'm going to violate them!".