Massachusetts lawsuit accuses Apple of misusing customers' personal info

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88

Are these 3 people a selfie of our times or a new low in the gene pool?

When shopping on-line or in an Apple Store, I have to verify by zip or when on-line then the 4 digit security code on CC.

• Reply 82 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    pte apple wrote: »
    When shopping on-line or in an Apple Store, I have to verify by zip or when on-line then the 4 digit security code on CC.
    See this post
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161627/massachusetts-lawsuit-accuses-apple-of-misusing-customers-personal-info/40#post_2459900
    If a salesperson asks for your zipcode when you present him/her with your credit card it almost certainly is for marketing purposes. It would be useless for verification because the zip code isn't displayed to the salesperson nor does the CC processor ask for it unless it's a keyed in credit card number. That's sometimes done when the card isn't physically available to the salesperson or won't swipe. Even in that case tho they ask for more than the zipcode.

An unattended gas pump is a special use case where a zipcode is the verification method CC companies have stipulated and that the law makes an allowance for.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    charlituna wrote: »
    No they don't. They did for a while but stopped that like 2-3 years ago. Probably in part due to the fact that they had way more online transactions to cull such info from so they didn't need the stores to get them anything. 

Yes they do. As of July 2013 when I was last employed there, they absolutely did. It was never required and wasn't tied to credit card validation. If the customer was foreign, we just put 99999. As I said before, it's simply to aid in real estate location. We wanted to get a good idea where the traffic was coming from in a given store so we could better serve those customers locally if possible. For example, when you have a store in Arlington, Va and over a number of years, a sizable and growing percentage of customers are driving up 95 from zip codes in the Woodbridge/Lorton/Burke area, it would probably be a good idea to explore real estate opportunities in that area. When the Potomac Town Center development in Woodbridge finally materialized and lined up with retail strategy, in went a new Apple store. It's really that simple.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTE APPLE View Post

See this post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161627/massachusetts-lawsuit-accuses-apple-of-misusing-customers-personal-info/40#post_2459900

If a salesperson asks for your zipcode when you present him/her with your credit card it almost certainly is for marketing purposes. It would be useless for verification because the zip code isn't displayed to the salesperson nor does the CC processor ask for it unless it's a keyed in credit card number. That's sometimes done when the card isn't physically available to the salesperson or won't swipe. Even in that case tho they ask for more than the zipcode.

An unattended gas pump is a special use case where a zipcode is the verification method CC companies have stipulated and that the law makes an allowance for.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. The zip code is not useless for verification just because the vendor doesn't know what it should be. The zip code is sent with the card number to the processor - the transaction is declined by the processor if the zip code is incorrect - just like at the gas pump.

• Reply 85 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The zipcode is not collected and sent to the CC processor when the card is presented in person for signature verification AFAIK. I can't think of a single instance I was required to supply it except for an unattended gas pump. Online they need even more.

Are you saying stores typically need [B]your[/B] zip-code for verification? Lowe's has asked me but when I decline to give it to them the charge goes right thru anyway. So guess what? Must be for internal uses because it sure wasn't needed for CC validation.

EDIT: I wanted to add that thru several businesses and at least three different CC processors (soon to be only one thank goodness) we've never been required to get a customers zip-code for CC authorization purposes IF the card was presented in person and it properly swiped. Not once that I can recall.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    I suggest that everyone find out where these idiots (Adam Christensen, Jeffrey Scolnick, and William Farrell) live and work and start sending them thousands of letters in the mail and also find out their email addresses and start spamming them.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    For filing a lawsuit? That's a crazy reaction.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    Originally Posted by enforcer View Post

I suggest that everyone find out where these idiots (Adam Christensen, Jeffrey Scolnick, and William Farrell) live and work and start sending them thousands of letters in the mail and also find out their email addresses and start spamming them.

Nope, that’s illegal.