Apple provides iOS 7.1 beta 4 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released the fourth beta of iOS version 7.1 to developers with a fix for a message sending bug, while other issues from previous versions remain unaddressed.

iOS 7.1 beta 4

The new version comes just two weeks after the release of iOS 7.1's third developer preview, and is now available to download from Apple's developer website and over-the-air on test devices. People familiar with the update told AppleInsider that beta 4 sports build number 11D5134c, and ships alongside Xcode 5.1 build number 5B90f.

A bug that previously caused messages to show a failure message immediately after sending is believed to have been fixed. The Bluetooth stack is said to remain an area of concern, however, as 32-bit apps reportedly still do not function properly on 64-bit devices such as Apple's all-new iPad Air and flagship iPhone 5s.

Xcode, for its part, is said to have received a significant number of updates in its latest beta incarnation. Interface Builder has reportedly seen a number of tweaks and performance improvements, notably a decrease in CPU and system memory utilization when drawing storyboards on Mac OS X 10.8.

Applications being built for the Mac App Store which require a provisioning profile reportedly may not build correctly or may crash at launch with a "Permission Denied" error in the latest beta, requiring developers to manually select a different build setting. In addition, it is said that developers attempting to simulate iOS versions earlier than iOS 6.1 in Mavericks may experience performance issues and could stop responding to the computer's hardware keyboard.

Apple is believed to be preparing iOS 7.1 for a March release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31

Is there a way to search and find an app by name on the iOS device and delete it yet?!  iOS file and app management is a DISASTER!

• Reply 2 of 31

settings-general-usage then you can delete any app from there.

• Reply 3 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Notes app still has the same visual bug with the gap between the date and the first line in your note going from too large to too small. That needs to be fixed. Let's hope they've fixed the scrolling note bug. Interesting slightly new visual on the "> slide to unlock" thing.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    alexfuste wrote: »
    settings-general-usage then you can delete any app from there.

That's not exactly what he wants. I'm assuming he has lots of apps. At which point going into Usage would be a chore.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

iOS file and app management is a DISASTER!

Not really.

• Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really.

Actually it's somewhat the case, at least for me. While not a complete disaster, I've found it to be frustrating to do what the OP has described.

• Reply 7 of 31
    How about addressing an issue with the 5s slowing to snail pace at time when opening apps?
    Closing apps and it leaves the app showing at the bottom?
    Apple, these need addressing!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Someone on MacRumors says that Safari crashes less and tabs refresh a lot less. Yea!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    betsy2 wrote: »
    How about addressing an issue with the 5s slowing to snail pace at time when opening apps?
    Closing apps and it leaves the app showing at the bottom?
    Apple, these need addressing!

Is this happening with the beta?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,181member
    Quote:

Is there a way to search and find an app by name on the iOS device and delete it yet?!  iOS file and app management is a DISASTER!

To find an app, it's easy in iOS7 to swipe down the display with 2 fingers to reveal a search field and keyboard, then just type a bit of what you're looking for, whether it's an app, a contact or a song. If looking for an app, you'll see the name of its containing folder.

Do you really not know how to delete an app? Touch and hold the app icon until it (and all others) begins to wobble, then click on the little (x) to delete it. When you're done deleting and moving app icons, press the Home button.

• Reply 11 of 31
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone on MacRumors says that Safari crashes less and tabs refresh a lot less. Yea!

Apparently no images exist on the ENTIRE INTERNET of someone snapping their fingers.

Imagine one here.

• Reply 12 of 31
    No not beta, Ios7 and current 7.04?
    You telling me you haven't noticed an issue when closing apps the screen shot goes leaving the app still showing at the bottom and a blank section?
    Doesn't happen all the time but a fair but!
    So many issues with iOS7 it's not funny.. Bit like releasing a game, cod, BF4 and then not working correctly, sign of the times perhaps?!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Once again I'm sitting on money to buy an iPad, but with iOS 7 a disaster of bugs and GUI sickness, I don't feel like I want one any more. Sad. iPad Air is wasted on iOS 7.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

To those that insist that iOS simply must have a Finder, perhaps.

But the average person doesn't put a zillion apps on their devices. Or if they do they organize a bit so they can find things. Or simply put up with a bit more work as just part of the game. 

• Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

To find an app, it's easy in iOS7 to swipe down the display with 2 fingers to reveal a search field and keyboard, then just type a bit of what you're looking for, whether it's an app, a contact or a song. If looking for an app, you'll see the name of its containing folder.

Do you really not know how to delete an app? Touch and hold the app icon until it (and all others) begins to wobble, then click on the little (x) to delete it. When you're done deleting and moving app icons, press the Home button.

That's too much work. We simply must be able to search and then hold down on the results list to delete. This is vital. Second only to quick reply and having an accessible file system. It might even be more important than those

• Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Once again I'm sitting on money to buy an iPad, but with iOS 7 a disaster of bugs and GUI sickness, I don't feel like I want one any more. Sad. iPad Air is wasted on iOS 7.

If this is where you go to decide then yes it is a disaster. Because folks around sites like this love to crap talk like it's candy. Rarely do they talk about what they like because that's just as not fun. 

If you want an iPad, get it, use it and decide for yourself if the system works for you, the GUI sucks etc. That's why they give you two weeks to return it (assuming you get it from Apple) and no open box charge. 

• Reply 17 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I use iOS 7 on my Air and 5. It's not a disaster of bugs for me and the UI is just fine. The only problem I have is Safari crashes which supposedly are fixed in 7.1
  • Reply 18 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

That's silly. iOS 7 isn't bothering anyone actually using it.

• Reply 19 of 31
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I use iOS 7 on my Air and 5. It's not a disaster of bugs for me and the UI is just fine.

I use it on an iPhone 4 and it *IS* a disaster. I assume it's because I'm using ancient hardware and I accept that. I appreciate Apple letting me try it on my old device to see how it works. What I do NOT appreciate is being refused an option to go BACK to iOS6 now that we know how poorly this old phone works with iOS7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's silly. iOS 7 isn't bothering anyone actually using it.

Of course it is. Don't be ridiculous. Lots of people are having lots of problems. Some are serious, some are not. The problems do not make Apple evil nor iOS7 bad, but denying their existence *IS* bad. It makes you look like you're trying to hide something, and people see right through that.

• Reply 20 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I use iOS 7 on my Air and 5. It's not a disaster of bugs for me and the UI is just fine. The only problem I have is Safari crashes which supposedly are fixed in 7.1

I hope someone will try posting on AI with an iPad mini retina and see if Safari really is fixed. Or is it [crash] a Huddler-Safari issue?