Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 80
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    1) Sure, a larger display iPhone could certainly happen but I do wonder about the resolution of the display. The easiest solution is to use the same resolution they currently have so that they SDK and apps don't negatively affect developers and consumers, but that's easier to achieve going down than going up. Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum.



    2) I wouldn't be surprised if an iWatch is "flexible" insofar that it can be curved into a static design but I wouldn't expect for the customer to experience this flexibility.

    There were a couple of articles that Marco Arment (former developer of Instapaper) wrote early last year regarding a larger iPhone;

     

    http://www.marco.org/2013/01/31/iphone-plus-speculation (part 1)

     

    http://www.marco.org/2013/02/08/iphone-plus-dpi-argument (part 2)

     

    Basically, he says he wouldn't be surprised if Apple went with a 4.94" screen using the same 1136x64 (264ppi) resolution.  It would benefit Apple by keeping the costs of the screen low, great for developers in terms of not having to do much work to their apps, and great for customers because all their apps would just work.

     

    Granted, it won't be 326ppi, but using the iPad Air, I've never had any issues with the quality and text / color reproduction of that screen.  I love it.  If it can work well on a 9.7" screen, I can't see why it won't work well on a 4.94" screen.

  • Reply 22 of 80
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    They should have done it this year when they announced the 5C. That was the time to get rid of numbers.

    Agree time to get rid of numbers.  Wonder what they could go with.  iPhone S & iPhone C, perhaps?

  • Reply 23 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member
    Oh gosh. Will it never end! I doubt there will be an iPhone Phablet. The < 5" iphone seems feasible as long as it complements a new 4" iPhone.

    iPhone X 4"
    iPhone X+ < 5"
  • Reply 24 of 80
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HealthNut View Post

     

    Well Apple historically uses the same design for two models right? The iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S, so the 6 should have some sort of new design at least.


    I am hopping the new design will be amazing but also the last. Apple after that really needs to concetrate more on new products, media, appstore

    and make iOS just as usefull like the OS X

  • Reply 25 of 80
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post



    An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I don't think there will be an iOS 8 this year ( where are the reports of any website being surfed with betas? ). They will lock down on iOS 7, which needs lots of improvements and the OS teams can concentrate on new devices.

    I haven't seen any reports of websites being surged with iOS 8 but 9to5mac had a couple of reports of their website being surfed with OSX 10.10.

     

    http://************/2013/10/03/apple-finishing-up-mavericks-as-development-shifts-to-os-x-10-10-ios-8/

     

    http://************/2013/10/07/as-mavericks-hits-gm-apple-begins-seeding-nightly-builds-of-os-x-10-9-1-as-well-as-10-10-syrah/

  • Reply 26 of 80
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iMember View Post

     

    I am hopping the new design will be amazing but also the last. Apple after that really needs to concetrate more on new products, media, appstore

    and make iOS just as usefull like the OS X


    I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation iPhone adopts the same design language as the iPad mini / Air.

  • Reply 27 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I haven't seen any reports of websites being surged with iOS 8 but 9to5mac had a couple of reports of their website being surfed with OSX 10.10.

    [URL=http:/2013/10/03/apple-finishing-up-mavericks-as-development-shifts-to-os-x-10-10-ios-8/]http://************/2013/10/03/apple-finishing-up-mavericks-as-development-shifts-to-os-x-10-10-ios-8/[/URL]

    [URL=http:/2013/10/07/as-mavericks-hits-gm-apple-begins-seeding-nightly-builds-of-os-x-10-9-1-as-well-as-10-10-syrah/]http://************/2013/10/07/as-mavericks-hits-gm-apple-begins-seeding-nightly-builds-of-os-x-10-9-1-as-well-as-10-10-syrah/[/URL]

    Yeah, exactly. So where is iOS 8 in the records? In general you can tell by the build number.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    There were a couple of articles that Marco Arment (former developer of Instapaper) wrote early last year regarding a larger iPhone;

    http://www.marco.org/2013/01/31/iphone-plus-speculation (part 1)

    http://www.marco.org/2013/02/08/iphone-plus-dpi-argument (part 2)

    Basically, he says he wouldn't be surprised if Apple went with a 4.94" screen using the same 1136x640 (264ppi) resolution.  It would benefit Apple by keeping the costs of the screen low, great for developers in terms of not having to do much work to their apps, and great for customers because all their apps would just work.

    Granted, it won't be 326ppi, but using the iPad Air, I've never had any issues with the quality and text / color reproduction of that screen.  I love it.  If it can work well on a 9.7" screen, I can't see why it won't work well on a 4.94" screen.

    I've talked about that size before over the last couple years. It does have the added benefit of allowing Apple to use the same iPad 2 panels they are using but that's it. I think it might be too large to be a reasonable size for a large smartphone display and have too few pixels-per-inch. With the number of units we're talking about I think the cost for Apple to use a different panel with a new PPI becomes very minimal so even though on paper 4.9404" makes sense for that one pro I think it brings too many negatives that would affect the overall usability.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post





    Yeah, exactly. So where is iOS 8 in the records? In general you can tell by the build number.

    It isn't in the records, that's what I was getting at.

  • Reply 30 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly. So where is iOS 8 in the records? In general you can tell by the build number.

    The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I will be very surprised if we don't see iOS 8 until June 2015.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member
    imember wrote: »
    I am hopping the new design will be amazing but also the last. Apple after that really needs to concetrate more on new products, media, appstore
    and make iOS just as usefull like the OS X

    Oh so close.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Oh so close.

    What's so close?

  • Reply 33 of 80
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,134member

    iPhone 6 is NOT coming in June.  June is likely when early production starts and just proto runs to test early tools, etc.  The regular iPhone 6 will launch in September just like last year.

     

    As for it's size… whatever. 

  • Reply 34 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Dupe.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    iPhone 6 is NOT coming in June.  June is likely when early production starts and just proto runs to test early tools, etc.  The regular iPhone 6 will launch in September just like last year.

    As for it's size… whatever. 

    Because Apple will never ever ever change their model of one release of one new phone every year? Fair point. Well made.

    But I disagree.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Actually in this case - unless someone can point to a trustworthy article where iOS 8 appears in the the logs - we have evidence of absence. Of iOS 8 logs. Which needs some explanation if there are 10.10 logs and there were iOS 7 logs captured this time last year. Which there were.

    That's the point! Just because there is no evidence on this or that site does not mean there is no iOS 8 in the works or that iOS 8 isn't arriving in 2014.

    You can state it as a hypothesis and use the comments you've made to support your argument but it's not evidence because you can't account for all possible sources.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

    An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I dont think there will be an iOS 8 this year

     

    Sounds crazy.

     

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

    Oh so close.

     

    It sort of feels like one, but I don’t really think it is given his other posts.

  • Reply 38 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Sure, a larger display iPhone could certainly happen but I do wonder about the resolution of the display. The easiest solution is to use the same resolution they currently have so that they SDK and apps don't negatively affect developers and consumers, but that's easier to achieve going down than going up. Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum.

    2) I wouldn't be surprised if an iWatch is "flexible" insofar that it can be curved into a static design but I wouldn't expect for the customer to experience this flexibility.

    Would just one more resolution make it that much harder? How many resolutions does a web developer have to account for? It makes development for Android child's play.

    Edit: why are my posts showing up twice?
  • Reply 39 of 80
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Everyone says OLED!

    Meanwhile I'm still here waiting for more IGZO :C
  • Reply 40 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Because Apple will never ever ever change their model of one release of one new phone every year? Fair point. Well made.

    But I disagree.

    You could've also pointed out the time span between the iPad 3 and the 4th gen instead of simply disagreeing.
Sign In or Register to comment.