Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    That's what happens when you put Windows on an Apple. It always crashes.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Insurance

I'm sure they had AppleCare+ for it!  ;-)

• Reply 23 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member

I could be wrong, but isn't it already past the three years? If so going to cost a bomb! ;)
  • Reply 24 of 54
    What's the copay on a million dollar piece of glass
  • Reply 25 of 54
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Insurance

Yeah, the snowblower company probably has a blanket liability policy.

Apple almost certainly doesn't have insurance, though.  They're big enough to self-insure.

• Reply 26 of 54
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I'm impressed that it's apparently still in place and functioning as a wall.

• Reply 27 of 54
    That damaged glass appears to be the southern pane on the east side of the cube. That would make it the East by South East (E x SE) pane.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,272member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Martskin View Post

That's what happens when you put Windows on an Apple. It always crashes.

This is the best response of the day. As for the person complaining about it being non-news, what's wrong with a little fun?

• Reply 29 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    NYT headline: Cracks at Apple [Store] start to appear.
  • Reply 30 of 54

Rule number one when operating a snowblower is never insert your hand into the blower chute to clear an obstruction. Rule number two is never point the blower chute toward something that can be broken, dented, wounded or maimed.

• Reply 31 of 54
    Good thing they aren't too far away from the $149.00 in-store repair option...
  • Reply 32 of 54

Wow, the news is reporting that it could cost almost a half million dollars to replace!  

I wouldn't want to be that snow blower operator!  

• Reply 33 of 54
    emesemes Posts: 239member

I guess Apple should stay away from Windows XP

My question is, how did this happen? Was it the classic hot-air-on-a-cold-object, or was it something else?

• Reply 34 of 54
    Apple's 5th Ave store is in the plaza of a large skyscraper. Presumably it was the maintenance crew of the large building who did the damage, since they were cleaning the whole plaza area. Hope they have good insurance.
  • Reply 35 of 54

Cracks Appear in Apple's Retail Strategy

Move Aside Google Glass, Apple Glass Will Shatter Expectations

Analysts Find Apple Having Problems With Glass, Lower Forecasts

• Reply 36 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

My question is, how did this happen? Was it the classic hot-air-on-a-cold-object, or was it something else?

Read woodbine description above it is probably closer to the true than not...

The reason it is probably safe is due to the fact the surfaces on both side are tempered and the cracks you see are actually on the inside and the outer surfaces are still intact.

• Reply 37 of 54
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Apple could use this as a visual promo for their new iPhone screen repair service in stores! The extremely cold weather and winds this season would push the limits on any glass structure.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Originally Posted by davidhector View Post

now it looks like an iphone screen

Either that was a joke, which wasn’t funny because it’s not based in any amount of fact, or it was a ‘factual’ statement, which isn’t right.

• Reply 39 of 54

Let me guess, the guy operating the snow blower was South Korean?

• Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

I wouldn't be surprised, the glass is clearly tempered glass so once the fracture process begins nothing is going to stop it. Bit of a shame really, not the biggest fan of Apple's architecture but the cube is extremely cool looking.