Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    "Apple: The Cracks Are Beginning To Show"
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Apple: The Cracks Are Beginning To Show"

Apple who stone in glass lives shouldn’t throw houses.

• Reply 43 of 54

Either that was a joke, which wasn’t funny because it’s not based in any amount of fact, or it was a ‘factual’ statement, which isn’t right.

I dunno. It cracked me up :)
  • Reply 44 of 54

Just goes to show how awesome that glass is. I'm not sure of the height but for that thing to be that size and remain intact is a testament to the manufacturers of the glass.

I'm not surprised by this at all though in fact I'm more surprised that it hasn't happened earlier. You've got an ice cold pane of glass and then you hit it with a warm blast of air and frankly physics is sooner or later going to take over.

• Reply 45 of 54
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Just goes to show how awesome that glass is. I'm not sure of the height but for that thing to be that size and remain intact is a testament to the manufacturers of the glass.

I'm not surprised by this at all though in fact I'm more surprised that it hasn't happened earlier. You've got an ice cold pane of glass and then you hit it with a warm blast of air and frankly physics is sooner or later going to take over.

The snowblower wouldn't be blowing warm air though: but it would project whatever debris it had ingested out at rather high speed: the single digit cold weather would add to the stress, though I'd expect being at the "top" of the warmed store interior (and with warm air rising...) that the pane's temperature might not have been all that low in the first place, so it may have been a straight on high velocity impact from thrown debris or a thrown blower blade...

• Reply 46 of 54

What a cracking piece of architecture the cube is.

• Reply 47 of 54
    I would think it should be obvious: Windows has always been Apple's number one enemy :D
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The snowblower wouldn't be blowing warm air though: but it would project whatever debris it had ingested out at rather high speed: the single digit cold weather would add to the stress, though I'd expect being at the "top" of the warmed store interior (and with warm air rising...) that the pane's temperature might not have been all that low in the first place, so it may have been a straight on high velocity impact from thrown debris or a thrown blower blade...

You'd get warm air from the motor surely. I've never seen a snow blower because we don't have a need for them where I live but if it's anything like my leaf blower there is definitely warm air from the motor not much but would it need that much if the outside temperature is so low?

• Reply 49 of 54
    I think the close up shots look quite cool with the broken glass texture. Maybe a combination of sorts in the design might look nice overall. :)
  • Reply 50 of 54
    What is this glass made of to be worth 1/2 a million dollars, Ipad screens? You know if Apple were to use some non-proprietary glass it would probably only cost like $10 to fix. Shouldn't Apple be embarassed to spend that much on a piece of glass when the American economy and people are still suffering greatly from a recession. Oh I forgot Apple doesn't care about people, just product and sales figures.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What is this glass made of to be worth 1/2 a million dollars, Ipad screens? You know if Apple were to use some non-proprietary glass it would probably only cost like $10 to fix. Shouldn't Apple be embarassed to spend that much on a piece of glass when the American economy and people are still suffering greatly from a recession. Oh I forgot Apple doesn't care about people, just product and sales figures.

You're an idiot. Who do you made/shipped/installed the glass, aliens?
  • Reply 52 of 54

Remember: Don’t bother quoting it.

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

• Reply 53 of 54

Hi! I would like to share this great online resource for anyone seeking a glass-panel: http://www.archiexpo.com/architecture-design-manufacturer/glass-panel-1315.html