PLEASE HELP MY FAMILY!! I am stuck in Apple hell.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I have been working with apple for 5 months.  I speak with Apple about 4 days a week, every week since the end of September.  I have 4 iPhones, 2 5s and 2 5c.  The 5cs hemorrhage data like I have never seen.  I contacted Att right away and had Apple replace the phones.  It didn't help.  Apple requested that i remove all the apps, email, messenger.  Turn off cellular and only keep wifi on.  I changed the sim card.  Restored the phone as new and took several screen shots.  Nothing has helped.  In 5 month I have over $1000 just in overages.  Att has looked at the data and said it was ios7, Apple agreed.  The only resolution I have is to 2  turn off the phones.  I am furious at the callous nature of Apple corporate customer care.  Two representatives from that department never bothered to return my calls. I was told that the Apple engineers did not even care enough to respond back to my Apple Rep.  I was told today, that the engineers have no idea when they will have a fix.  My blood pressure is through the roof.  

Can someone here please help me?  Any contact information about upper management would be great.  I need to get this resolved ASAP.  

Thanks

***  Thank you everyone that had something constructive and civilized to post.  The situation has been resolved. ****

**** To everyone else, you all can kiss my A$$, and go eat a di$k****

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33

Well  it sounds to me like you shouldn't have purchased a "smart" phone. You should bite the bullet on cancellation costs and get flip phones for all your users.  

FWIW, I have 5 iphones (5's--5c's--5s) on my one mobile share att account and my bill is 270 a month for 10GB data and unlimited everything else. We have had many iPhones for the last 6 years and I have never seen the problems you are describing, ever. 

The only "fix" for you is to get rid of the "smart" phones. I am reasonably sure this would have been Apple engineers thinking too if your story were true.

• Reply 2 of 33
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

Well  it sounds to me like you shouldn't have purchased a "smart" phone. You should bite the bullet on cancellation costs and get flip phones for all your users.  

FWIW, I have 5 iphones (5's--5c's--5s) on my one mobile share att account and my bill is 270 a month for 10GB data and unlimited everything else. We have had many iPhones for the last 6 years and I have never seen the problems you are describing, ever. 

The only "fix" for you is to get rid of the "smart" phones. I am reasonably sure this would have been Apple engineers thinking too if your story were true.

I'm inclined to agree.  And how can they even use cellular data if the radios are off? This makes no sense at all. If there is data use being recorded at that level, then it is likely real.

• Reply 3 of 33

Kimmie,

I searched and found this thread (with 64 pages) on Apple's discussions site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348072?tstart=0

The problem of cellular data charges while using Wi-Fi may not be widespread, but it has hit owners of recent iPhones with both iOS 6 and iOS 7.  I know it won't help your problem with trying to reach Apple's engineers, but there might be some other approaches that might at least prevent the phones from racking up additional charges.

• Reply 4 of 33

Data leakage is a very real problem not only with my family but others.  Google it, bing it, aol it.  I paid for smart phones that should work correctly.  They are not.  I came here for help.  If you have no insight or nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.  

FYI, flip phones also break; and who in their right mind would cancel their cell phone contract when the problem is not at&t.  THE PROBLEM IS THESE  SUBSTANDARD IPHONES.  I have owned several other phones iPhones and never had this problem.  This is an 5c or iOS problem.  Apple has already confirmed to At&t that this is a Apple issue.  

• Reply 5 of 33

Thank you Fahrwahr.  I have jumped through so many hoops for Apple; i feel like i joined the circus.

• Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimbie Bella View Post

Data leakage is a very real problem not only with my family but others.  Google it, bing it, aol it.  I paid for smart phones that should work correctly.  They are not.  I came here for help, not some Fanboy spiel.  If you have no insight or nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.  

Right - data leakage has been observed many times, but not cellular data leakage with the radio turned off. The complaints are generally that the phone switches to cellular even though it (supposedly) has a wifi connection. But you said that you turned cellular off. Did you not mean that?

• Reply 7 of 33

yes, cellular is turned off and wifi on.  It went through 1g of data in a half in hour.  No one was even near the phone.  No apps on the phone or email.  I was told by apple to download the app my data manager.  It showed huge packets using cellular.  The cellular is turned off.  How could this be I asked?  Apple has replied, it is some embedded problem in iOS.  There is no fix available.  This is a safety issue now.  My kids have no phones to use in case of emergency. 

• Reply 8 of 33
    How can they even use cellular data if the radios are off?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Are you using any of these phones as wifi hotspots? And are ALL of your phones password protected?
  • Reply 10 of 33

Apparently, just because the phone says the cellular is turned off.  it is not so.  The only solution so far, is to turn the phone off.  The second 5c is loaded with problems and started having a similar problem.  The second phone wifi is grayed out or just drops.  Either way, the phones are now just sitting on a table turned off.  One has been turned off for weeks.

• Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Apparently, just because the phone says the cellular is turned off.  it is not so.  The only solution so far, is to turn the phone off.  The second 5c is loaded with problems and started having a similar problem.  The second phone wifi is grayed out or just drops.  Either way, the phones are now just sitting on a table turned off.  One has been turned off for weeks.

Frankly, unless you are misrepresenting facts, you should take them all into your nearest Apple Store. Your overly dramatic story has me really doubting your situation, unless you are deliberately leaving out crucial details.

• Reply 12 of 33
    Are you using any of these phones as wifi hotspots? And are ALL of your phones password protected?

No, these phones are not hotspots. Yes all have passwords. The data coming from these phones happen when no one is even near the phone. No apps running, nothing open.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Frankly, unless you are misrepresenting facts, you should take them all into your nearest Apple Store. Your overly dramatic story has me really doubting your situation, unless you are deliberately leaving out crucial details.
    Are you special? I have so many better things to do, other than talk to Apple tech support for almost 6 months. This problem only seems dramatic because it is not happening to you. If I could walk into Apple and demand that they fix, exchange, or swap the phone I would have months ago. Apple said it would not matter because the problem was embedded in iOS 7.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    This problem only seems dramatic because it is not happening to you. If I could walk into Apple and demand that they fix, exchange, or swap the phone I would have months ago. Apple said it would not matter because the problem was embedded in iOS 7.

If the problem was iOS 7, it would surely be affecting everyone with a 5c. If the phone is connected to wifi, it won't use cellular data. You said one of your phones had been off for weeks, how do you know it's using data so much without testing it?

Also, why keep them turned off and not simply return them for a refund? If Apple and AT&T agree on the problem, they've admitted a fault and should accept a return.
  • Reply 15 of 33

This entire thread seems to be a lesson in "how to feed a troll".

• Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If the problem was iOS 7, it would surely be affecting everyone with a 5c. If the phone is connected to wifi, it won't use cellular data. You said one of your phones had been off for weeks, how do you know it's using data so much without testing it?

Also, why keep them turned off and not simply return them for a refund? If Apple and AT&T agree on the problem, they've admitted a fault and should accept a return.

No, that is not true.  Software problems and hardware issues can happen to some but not all customers.  It could have been a manufacturing problem. I don't work for or in Apple stores.  I have to keep them turned off because they hemorrhage data when turned on.  Apple has admitted the problem is ios7.  They also admitted they can't fix the problem.  So i have requested a full refund.

• Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

This entire thread seems to be a lesson in "how to feed a troll".

you would know, since you are trolling this thread looking for nothing important to contribute.  Find a hobby, maybe knitting would be for you.

• Reply 18 of 33

You should take the time you're spending bitching on here, and instead, take the damn phones back and get them refunded.

Why you haven't already done that seems to confuse everyone else on here.

(It's cold, I'm bored... this IS my hobby ;) )

• Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No, that is not true.  Software problems and hardware issues can happen to some but not all customers.  It could have been a manufacturing problem. I don't work for or in Apple stores.  I have to keep them turned off because they hemorrhage data when turned on.  Apple has admitted the problem is ios7.  They also admitted they can't fix the problem.  So i have requested a full refund.  Apple and its fanboys and a real disappointment.

I'd accept that might be a reasonable explanation if you had experienced it on just one phone, but two phones and their replacements? Maybe you have been inconceivably unlucky but, that possibility aside, your story does lack credibility both in terms of the problems you describe and your actions, so you should not be surprised at the incredulity in some of the responses. 

And I'd advise against the use of the F word - it doesn't sit well around here.

• Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'd accept that might be a reasonable explanation if you had experienced it on just one phone, but two phones and their replacements? Maybe you have been inconceivably unlucky but, that possibility aside, your story does lack credibility both in terms of the problems you describe and your actions, so you should not be surprised at the incredulity in some of the responses. 

And I'd advise against the use of the F word - it doesn't sit well around here.

It only lacks credibility because, it has not happened to you.  Look it up on google, bing, or this thread.  Apple and At&t communities have customers reporting this problem.  I have worked extremely closely with tier 2 Apple tech support for almost 6 months.  We have isolated the problem to iOS. It happened to people with ios6 too.  Apple is very aware of the problem, but their profit margin is more important then putting out a good operating system with few bugs.  Some people would support Apple, even if they gave out bricks as phones.  Sadly, Apple's corporate culture has shifted from pristine products to some crap.  They already discontinued the 5c. I now know why.  Either way, I have no choice but to part company with Apple.  This is not an easy task, because of return policies, inept managers, upgrade eligibility and pricing.  I came here as a last effort, but now i am even more convinced that leaving Apple behind was the best decision .