Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory, Samsung Galaxy S4 declared 'biggest memor

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 86
    nagromme wrote: »
    No mention of a big problem with SD storage for most users (not we tech-savvy forum goers): you then have to MANAGE that multi-segment storage. Android's strength (for a few) is also its weakness (for many): it's more like an old-style PC.

    Absolutely! Minimum of 2 places for saved photos for example... sometimes more depending on what service or app you saved the photo from.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    The smartphone industry has already declared the iPhone 5c as an overpriced piece of plastic junk. Basically just another failed Apple product because Apple only sold about 20 million units to date. So, I don't think it really matters if the iPhone 5c has a bit more usable memory since it will probably be discontinued when the iPhone 6 becomes available.

    You can spin the 20 million a far different way: that Apple underestimated their user's ability AND desire to pay for the very best at any price.

    The 5c is far.... faaaaar... from being junk! IMHO the iPhone 5s is far too cheap!!!

    Take that and :smokey: it!
  • Reply 23 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,361member
    A note of interest this morning. There's reports that the 5C is being dropped from Apple's lineup, apparently just not as successful as they would have expected?
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Oh, and the author should do more research. Samsung enabled move to SD several Android versions ago, there is an app called FolderMount that enables game data to be moved to SD and Link2SD enables apks and associated files to be stored on a secondary extSD partition. Rest assured, I can use the full 64GB of my card for apps if I wished.
  • Reply 25 of 86

    Hold everything.

     

    We’re missing a big piece of info here. Does iOS (originally based on Leopard) report gibibytes as gigabytes? Or does it now report gigabytes as gigabytes?

     

    And what does Android do?



    This is important.

  • Reply 26 of 86
    Galaxy S4 total storage exceeds any iPhone's by several times. We don't have a locked down OS so can remove all the bloat and, with a microSD card, actually use a several-hundred pound device for more than casual things. Non-expandable storage = fail.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    No mention of a big problem with SD storage for most users (not we tech-savvy forum goers): you then have to MANAGE that multi-segment storage. Android's strength (for a few) is also its weakness (for many): it's more like an old-style PC.

    Android uses ext4 filesystem. I'm not sure where the "you have to MANAGE" or "Like and old style PC" applies here?

  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    We’re missing a big piece of info here. Does iOS (originally based on Leopard) report gibibytes as gigabytes? Or does it now report gigabytes as gigabytes?

     

    And what does Android do?



    This is important.




    Android (4.4.2) appears to use gibibytes correctly.

  • Reply 29 of 86
    mknopp wrote: »

    Then take advantage of Juil's other mentioned solution. Buy one of the many aftermarket Wifi enabled hardrive setups. That is 500GB to 1TB of media and document storage for access on the road without having to use mobile data.

    The point is that there are many options for accessing media and documents for all mobile phones.
    So these drives put out their own wi-fi hotspots that don't use your mobile data? Really?! That's terrific!!
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



    A note of interest this morning. There's reports that the 5C is being dropped from Apple's lineup, apparently just not as successful as they would have expected?

     

    I read that report over a month ago. So far nothing has come of it.

  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by namesib View Post



    Oh, and the author should do more research. Samsung enabled move to SD several Android versions ago, there is an app called FolderMount that enables game data to be moved to SD and Link2SD enables apks and associated files to be stored on a secondary extSD partition. Rest assured, I can use the full 64GB of my card for apps if I wished.

     

    Oh sure, there always has third party solution out there.   But for most android user, searching and downloading apps on the Google Play store is an issue, rooting their phone is another bag of hurts.  Most mortal are only using fonction that come out of the box and got no time nor the patience to search a way to overcome limitation from the mfg. 

  • Reply 32 of 86
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    And now accessory makers are creating cases for the iPhone 5's that add-on extra storage,
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by namesib View Post



    Galaxy S4 total storage exceeds any iPhone's by several times. We don't have a locked down OS so can remove all the bloat and, with a microSD card, actually use a several-hundred pound device for more than casual things. Non-expandable storage = fail.

     

    Wow, so much fanboyisme in this post....

     

    1) Out of the box, the Galaxy S4 total storage doesn't exceeds the iPhone, the opposite is true.

     

    2) Android devices are locked down until you root the phone, like any other iOS and WP8 phones.

     

    3) Unlike most Android phones, there is no third party bloat ware to take care of on iOS

     

    4) You know many critics said the same things about the non-expandable storage of the iPod, 11 years later, most SD bases MP3 player as disappear from market today.

     

     Like you said in an earlier post, you need some hacking and third party apps for using external storage likes the internal one. This is not a solution for most non-tech savvy Android users

  • Reply 34 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    nagromme wrote: »
    No mention of a big problem with SD storage for most users (not we tech-savvy forum goers): you then have to MANAGE that multi-segment storage. Android's strength (for a few) is also its weakness (for many): it's more like an old-style PC.

    You haven't been paying attention. Most Android phones nowadays no longer have a SD card.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    nagromme wrote: »
    No mention of a big problem with SD storage for most users (not we tech-savvy forum goers): you then have to MANAGE that multi-segment storage. Android's strength (for a few) is also its weakness (for many): it's more like an old-style PC.

    Just do what Microsoft did: train people to put up with tech concepts like C:\ and D:\ drives. :D
  • Reply 36 of 86
    namesib wrote: »
    Oh, and the author should do more research. Samsung enabled move to SD several Android versions ago, there is an app called FolderMount that enables game data to be moved to SD and Link2SD enables apks and associated files to be stored on a secondary extSD partition. Rest assured, I can use the full 64GB of my card for apps if I wished.

    Glad to hear that tech savvy users can cobble together a workaround. But why should Samsung get the credit for this workaround if this app isn't included with each phone they ship? The article was about the phones as sold by the manufacturers.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Glad to hear that tech savvy users can cobble together a workaround. But why should Samsung get the credit for this workaround if this app isn't included with each phone they ship? The article was about the phones as sold by the manufacturers.

    Yeah, the apk movement support was Samsung, but everything else is Android.

    ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

     

     

    Wow, so much fanboyisme in this post....

     

    1) Out of the box, the Galaxy S4 total storage doesn't exceeds the iPhone, the opposite is true.

     

    2) Android devices are locked down until you root the phone, like iOS and WP8.

     

    3) Unlike most Android phones, there is no third party bloat ware to take care of on iOS

     

    4) You know many critics said the same things about the non-expandable storage of the iPod, 11 years later, most SD bases MP3 player as disappear from market today.

     

     Like you said in an early post, you need some hacking and third party apps for using external storage likes the internal one. This is not a solution for most non-tech savvy Android users


     

    ?1) Okay, but the total space available when the device is actually operated (which is what ultimately matters) vastly exceeds that of the iPhone due to the support of 64GB microSD cards (and possibly larger when they are available).

    ?

    ?2) Based on what I've seen, Android offers far more customisability than any other mobile OS. There is nothing that rivals XDA in the amount of developer activity for any other OS.

    ?

    ?3) True, but given the additional storage/modification options available this is not an issue.

    ?

    ?4) MP3 files have generally been the same size since their inception. The size/availability/number of games, films, video recordings, other downloadable content, etc. are increasingly considerably, which means more storage capacity is always better.

    ?

    ?But it is available. The fact that I have to jump through a few (simple) hoops to take advantage of the feature does not diminish the benefits of being able to add 64GB to my storage. There is no such availability for the iPhone, which makes it inferior overall in terms of storage. I'm not a fanboy btw, I'm just saying more options > fewer options.

    ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

     

    Oh sure, there always has third party solution out there.   But for most android user, searching and downloading apps on the Google Play store is an issue, rooting their phone is another bag of hurts.  Most mortal are only using fonction that come out of the box and got no time nor the patience to search a way to overcome limitation from the mfg. 




    When they begin to run out of space they will seek solutions. The GS4 offers plenty of solutions to increase available space without deleting any desired content, unlike the iPhone, which is fundamentally limited. The option is always available for those who seek it, which makes it superior.

    ?

    ?

  • Reply 38 of 86
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

     

    Android uses ext4 filesystem. I'm not sure where the "you have to MANAGE" or "Like and old style PC" applies here?


     

    Huh? I don't understand what the usage of ext4 filesystem helped anything about the hurdle of managing files between multiple volumes on a devices without a file manager interface. 

  • Reply 39 of 86
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

     

    I'm not aware of any phones with a drive.    Memory and Storage is the same in a phone, no?


     

    Not really.

    In 'old' PC terms 'Memory' usually referred to your RAM and 'Storage' typically referred to your hard drive.

     

    Hard drives are a (slowly) dying entity, but your phone does still have a distinction between the types of memory it uses.

    Storage 'memory' (usually flash-ram) is much cheaper and slower than the actual memory used by the CPU(s) to run applications.

     

    iPhones actual 'Memory' on both the 5s and 5c is 1 Gigabyte

    Android phones vary with the high end phones having around 3 Gigabytes

     

    If you go over 4gig in RAM, you need to be a 64 bit operating system or you'll need to clock cycles for one memory access which is shooting yourself in the foot.

    Just because you have less than 4gig of RAM, however, does not make having a 64 bit system unnecessary.

     

    The flash memory that is usually called 'storage' on a phone (and what this article is mostly about) is the cheaper stuff you use for storage and is usually what is referenced if you are buying a '16 gig' or '32 gig' phone.

     

    Apple's 16 gig phone and Samsungs both have 16 gig of flash memory.

    Samsung loads a lot more stuff on theirs, so what is left to the user is a lot less than what is on a phone with fewer stuff added.

     

    Since few people will use all of the stuff added it is commonly called bloat.

     

    Apple doesn't give many options beyond what they offer-with their assumption being they know what their users want.

    Android does offer more flexibility.  If available storage was actually a big deal to you, you could either add an SD card as the article mentions, or buy the S4 which comes in a 'Nexus' edition and has all the bloat removed and probably has comparable or more free memory than the iPhone 5s (like the Nexus 5 does).  But then you lose some of the features added by the 'bloat' which really are pretty impressive when you look at them.

  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

     

     

    Huh? I don't understand what the usage of ext4 filesystem helped anything about the hurdle of managing files between multiple volumes on a devices without a file manager interface. 




    I believe there is a file manager interface, but yeah most Android phones seem to have abandoned the split storage option. Without rooting or doing anything special most phones can read USB pen drives and the like so that is a pretty good solution for storing big films and similar if you are away from a big screen for a while.

Sign In or Register to comment.