Apple reports $13.1B in Q1 2014 profit on record sales of 51M iPhones, 26M iPads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So, what about it? These analysts cannot be prosecuted for voicing their "opinion", so it's not really stock manipulation...right? Without the possibility of prosecution, these people are out to protect their client's interests, which means buying and selling to generate a profit. If you fail to connect the dots, I don't know what to tell you.

So here you are telling me how it is on Wall Street... but, somehow or other, you want things to magically change so that it's fair for Apple.

... but that's the game and even though you say it yourself, you still want it to be something else.

I don't know what to tell you.

• Reply 62 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The BIG silver lining in this is the hope that Carl Icahn will sell his stake in Apple and go away now. Get down on your knees and pray this happens.

Carl holds a sizable chunk, but he's small fry compared to most institutional investors:  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL+Major+Holders

• Reply 63 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Stock price is NOT "all about growth potential". That's a myth these manipulators would love you to perpetuate.

And as for not delivering growth. 10% year on year growth in sales volume for iOS devices? How is that not delivering growth? Growth in net profits, growth in sales volumes, sustaining margins. And if they did grow it any faster, these people would call it "overheated growth" and tank the stock...

You can believe what you want but P/E multiple are growth base, the more the expectations, they higher they get.

10% would be a nice growth number for Coka cola or McDonalds, but in tech its not so good. A P/E between 10 to 15 is fair for a company like Apple at this point. Until Apple can prove it can do significant growth again, its will stalled.

The smartphone and tablet high end market is saturated, Apple doesn't want to enter middle range or low end, so the only thing left for growth is new products. 

• Reply 64 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

You must be smoking crack, because you're really fixated on "bad" numbers that don't exist...

Gotta love crap like this, it brings the trolls and Wall Scumbags out of their caves in a heartbeat.

Sure they exist... in relation to Apple's s/p. Zero or slow growth is poison to the s/p.

For the health of the company... of course not. Apple has cash to burn.

• Reply 65 of 180

'Dip' must be the new pc term for a frackin' massacre.

• Reply 66 of 180
    Quote:

Stock price is NOT "all about growth potential". That's a myth these manipulators would love you to perpetuate.

Guidance for next quarter is NOT "bad". Certainly it's less than the 'boom time' that is Q1. As is NORMAL for this industry. But compare it to the same time last year. NOT "bad". See?

And as for not delivering growth. 10% year on year growth in sales volume for iOS devices? How is that not delivering growth? Growth in net profits, growth in sales volumes, sustaining margins. And if they did grow it any faster, these people would call it "overheated growth" and tank the stock...

When, how and where can Apple do "right" in the eyes and minds of these people? They can't. Ever.

Because it's a heavily manipulated stock, and is being tanked due to greed. Icahn (who undoubtedly sold a huge chunk just before the close) and others are snapping it up all the way down too. Because tomorrow (or within a few days) it'll be above where it closed today, and they'll all have made out like the bandits they are..........

Margins is what Apple is all about.

Sustaining margins?

You need glasses.

• Reply 67 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Margins is what Apple is all about.

Sustaining margins?

You need glasses.

I already wear glasses.

So, tell me. How far did Apple's margins drop QoQ and YoY?

• Reply 68 of 180
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The guidance is the problem. And the iPhones. The other two big categories were good actually ( Go! Mac!). Although nobody wants to hear any criticism here there was clearly a feck up with the iPhone 5c. Too expensive for the Chinese market, too plastic for the US and Japan. It's been a bad call.

The market are obviously going to be disappointed with a Q2 which is flat y-o-y given its Chinese New Year. And with China Mobile. Plus we can take Apples guidance seriously - they are expecting fewer sales in other markets.

Good news later this year will probably involve another iOS type of device, possibly two.

Personally I don't care a fig for wearables. I bet Cook likes that stuff because of his clear obsession with health and fitness. That's a market which won't be huge. They could own the console market though.
  • Reply 69 of 180
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Delete
  • Reply 70 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

its bad it terms of growth. The numbers of unit sales and cash generations beats any other company, but that is all price in going into this.  

Your lame attempt at justifying a share price drop reflects very badly on yourself.

"that is all priced in..."?  As in priced into the 13 P/E?  Of course not!!  Stupid.

I'm utterly stumped as to why anyone would listen to the likes of herbapou mouthing off about Apple being "bad in terms of growth".

The after-hours price drop is not sane.  Just admit that you have no idea.  Go ahead and lambast Apple fans and long shareholders all you want...but don't make up stupid reasons as to why share price dropped.

Case in point...name me one, JUST ONE company that has similar balance sheet, dividends & EPS (both current and forward) and is at the P/E that Apple is.  Go ahead, give it a shot.  I kept it nice and simple for ya.

• Reply 71 of 180

I just bought 10 more shares at 506.  Wow. 

• Reply 72 of 180
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Buying opportunity 

• Reply 73 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

You just lost $20+ plus fees

• Reply 74 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

You just lost $40+ plus fees

• Reply 75 of 180
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Stock prices is all about growth potential, and Apple is not delivering it.  Guidance for next quarter is bad, iPhone number is bad, stock goes down, there is no mystery here and it doesn't mean Apple is doom or that analyst expectations were too high....

Strange some idiots said the same thing last year this time but yet Apple grew its iOS business by ten percent and it's Mac business as well. Moreover, analysts who provide poor guesses should be fired.
  • Reply 76 of 180
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    asdasd wrote: »
    The guidance is the problem. And the iPhones. The other two big categories were good actually ( Go! Mac!). Although nobody wants to hear any criticism here there was clearly a feck up with the iPhone 5c. Too expensive for the Chinese market, too plastic for the US and Japan. It's been a bad call.

The market are obviously going to be disappointed with a Q2 which is flat y-o-y given its Chinese New Year. And with China Mobile. Plus we can take Apples guidance seriously - they are expecting fewer sales in other markets.

Good news later this year will probably involve another iOS type of device, possibly two.

Personally I don't care a fig for wearables. I bet Cook likes that stuff because of his clear obsession with health and fitness. That's a market which won't be huge. They could own the console market though.

So the proof is....

29% growth in China.
  • Reply 77 of 180
    This is classic market manipulation. They took the tentative figures projected with the China Mobile deal and back-filled for this quarter, raise the requirements, while shorting the hell out of the stock, so when it falls they actually make money on the amount of it dropping.
  • Reply 78 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

iPhone numbers is well below expectations. EPS and margins are not a blowout but are good.

The stock could still rebound depending of what is said on the call.

Apple the only company that would lose 100 billion in market cap on a 10% earnings beat.  The funny think is, it was only down 5% until Cook and Oppenheimer opened their financially obtuse mouths -- that added another 5%.  I thought Cook was supposed to be a supply chain genius?  He still can't anticipate demand for iPhones this late in the product cycle?  Complete incompetence at the one thing that was supposed to be his forte.  

• Reply 79 of 180
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Hey, Carl just lost about $300M in 30 minutes today, i guess he is not doing as good as he hope by pumping up the stock with all his little tweets. As long as Wall street keeps doing this, he will never make money.

It did not surprise me to see the stock now down $49 in after market trading, all because of what some metric wall street made up, but hell Netflix was up 20% just because they added a few more users and lost even more money, and their future is unclear with Courts throwing out Network Neutrality.

• Reply 80 of 180
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Perhaps of note...

Apple sold 70 million iOS devices (iPhones + iPads) in Q1 last year VS 77 million of them this year. That's an incredible and solid 10% increase in volume year on year.

Growth like that is hard to manage in the best of times.

But it's Apple, so the stock dropped 5% on that news.

Wow. Just wow.

You also need into account what the stock did in the months prior to those earnings. It rised on expectations of better numbers than that so its going down now. Its still up from its $400 lows.