WWE Network bringing professional wrestling to Apple TV on Feb. 24

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And yes people losing their livelihood is tragic.

Maybe they should stop making crap, then.

It’s not a tragedy when a company goes bankrupt for making terrible products or just things that no one wants, just as it isn’t in any other occupation.

• Reply 42 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    And that is bad how? Lets face it if your product doesn't sell then you should be out of business. as for the watchers, why should they underwrite shows that nobody is interested in?

How would one know that people would want to watch it if nobody makes it? We'll end up with even more versions of CSI, Law & Order, etc...production companies will take the safe route and only produce what sells. Would Pawn Stars or Counting Cars exist in this new market?
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Maybe they should stop making crap, then.

It’s not a tragedy when a company goes bankrupt for making terrible products or just things that no one wants, just as it isn’t in any other occupation.

What constitutes crap? I've seen really good shows get cancelled, and lousy ones get renewed. Many a company that made good products have gone out of business. There's no simple formula for what ultimately sells well.
  • Reply 44 of 65

What constitutes crap?

What people aren’t watching or care about, as was already delineated.

I've seen really good shows get cancelled, and lousy ones get renewed.

Same here. But channel surfing doesn’t save them.

• Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

How would one know that people would want to watch it if nobody makes it? We'll end up with even more versions of CSI, Law & Order, etc...production companies will take the safe route and only produce what sells. Would Pawn Stars or Counting Cars exist in this new market?

I'd go even further. Neither Breaking Bad nor Mad Men would have made it past a first season. You'd lose a lot of the critically acclaimed but low watched shows with the sort of model people were describing above 

• Reply 46 of 65
    What people aren’t watching or care about, as was already delineated.

It doesn't mean it's crap. Multitudes of people go to McDonald's, but that doesn't make it good. Have you never had a favorite show cancelled or favorite restaurant close down?
  • Reply 47 of 65
    I'd go even further. Neither Breaking Bad nor Mad Men would have made it past a first season. You'd lose a lot of the critically acclaimed but low watched shows with the sort of model people were describing above 

Somebody that understands, finally. Everyone has their favorite show that they only want to watch but how did they discover that show? I only started watching Breaking Bad after season 2 had aired and thanks to Netflix, and Amazon I was able to catch up before season 3 started.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Everybody against this is a pencil-necked geek.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    quinney wrote: »
    Everybody against this is a pencil-necked geek.

It's been years since I've heard that, thanks for the laugh.
  • Reply 50 of 65

It doesn't mean it's crap. Multitudes of people go to McDonald's, but that doesn't make it good. Have you never had a favorite show cancelled or favorite restaurant close down?

I wasn’t too happy when French Toast Crunch went off the market. Feel all right now, though. :p

Still don’t see how a market specifically designed for the Long Tail will make this an issue, though. If anything, Apple will be able to stop this from happening nearly entirely.

• Reply 51 of 65
    I wasn’t too happy when French Toast Crunch went off the market. Feel all right now, though. :p

Lol, you do know that it is still made in Canada.
  • Reply 52 of 65

I doubt you'd be able to buy individual shows, I'm sure it would be individual channels. Like you could buy a monthly pass to AMC and get all the shows that it brings. 

Maybe even packages (the disney package include Disney, Disney JR and ABC Family) or something of that nature. 

• Reply 53 of 65

Too bad The Undertaker is all but retired. I wouldn't want to subscribe to this just to watch one match at Wrestlemania each year!

Then again, the on-demand service sounds good. I could stream the old matches from the eighties and nineties - the pre-Attitude era.

Of course, it may not even be launched in India, so it's back to Youtube then!

• Reply 54 of 65
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

nice idea really. We can kind of do that if we buy them, but it gets more expensive than cable fast. imo it would be much easier for Apple to just strike deals with existing nation wide cable companies. Problem is I dont think cable wants this.

I was not suggesting buying. That would be like the iTunes model. I was thinking more along the lines of a large pool of viewing credits. 

Example $100/year buys you 100 credits worth of programming. If you want to watch Downton Abbey then the entire series may cost you 10 credits. Then you would have access to all episodes past and present of that series whenever and wherever you want. No limits at all. You want to watch the same episode 20 times, that's fine. 

Let's say then that you also want to watch Walking Dead. No problem, another ten credits. Same as above, access whenever, wherever (TV, Mac, iPad, iPhone) as often as you want.

Here's another idea for older series. Reruns of Seinfeld or Star Trek may only cost 5 credits. 

This way you remove the old channel model where you subscribe to a post just to watch one show. 

Of course the cable providers and networks will resist this. The current model only serves them, not the average citizen. I would like nothing more than to give Videotron or Bell, the one finger salute.

• Reply 55 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple may have bigger ambitions with their programming options. The WSJ (yeah I know, AI readers don't believe them) reports they've been buying up a whole lotta bandwidth via agreements with assorted providers.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304851104579361201655365302?mod=rss_Technology&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304851104579361201655365302.html?mod=rss_Technology
  • Reply 56 of 65

Wow. That's pretty racist. If BET was added instead, would you have simply changed "redneck" to the N-Word and posted the same comment?

• Reply 57 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gqb wrote: »
    Well, there goes the 'upscale' appeal of the Apple brand.

NASCAR next?
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Gonna love WWE channel. Now hurry and bring TWC to Apple TV. And please get TWC accessed to more Apple apps ASAP!!! Notably Longhorn Network.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    wizard69 wrote: »
    And that is bad how? Lets face it if your product doesn't sell then you should be out of business. as for the watchers, why should they underwrite shows that nobody is interested in?

With your logic Apple should have been out of business a long time ago. Just because something doesn't sell well means that it's crap.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

I think this is great - the fact is that many people watch WWE events, and they charge $60 a month for the pay per view shows on cable or satalite - this $10 package includes those PPV shows - if Apple wants to sell a shitload of these things, they could partner with WWE and get them to mention the ATV whenever they advertise or promote the new service, They would fly off of the shelves...

You apple snobs may look down from your ivory towers on pro wrestling fans and write them off, but they have jobs and make money too - they aren't all welfare bums or trailer trash or something - no sport could continue with the kind of profitability that WWE enjoys if the total fan base were all dirt poor! As an Apple share holder via my various IRAs and 401Ks, I would like to see them use this to help apple tv become a stronger source of revenue and grow the bottom line a bit more.