Apple has reportedly resumed iPhone 4 production for sale in developing markets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    What about OS fragmentation?
  • Reply 22 of 45
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    capnbob wrote: »
    iPhone 4 seems pretty expensive to make (all glass design)and now in smaller volumes, there are smaller economies of scale. As a stop gap it's OK if they are not serious about a low-end iPhone that might dilute sales of high-end phones elsewhere.

Who knows.

The logical reason for the iphone 4 is that the parts are still available. If Apple was still producing the A4, then replacing the radio chip with a current version or even replacing the memory or NAND storage with whatever is currently available is much less of a big deal. Remember that the only substantial difference between an iPod touch and an iPhone is the lack of the 3G/4G/LTE radio. Apple still makes the iPod Touch, but it's on the A5 chip at the low end (229$ USD) It seems more likely that they would resume the 4S (450$ USD) production which is still on their website and is used by the iPhone 4S and iPod Touch.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why 4 and not 4S?

That was my first thought!
  • Reply 24 of 45
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

The idea is that iPhone 5C will eventually replace all the cheap model. Why bring the 4? Apple has always maintained somewhat unofficial life expectancy of an iPhone devices to be 3 years. And the 4 isn't any cheaper to produce then the 5C.

The BOM Cost of iPhone 5C will drop over the years. 32nm, or 28nm will be the cheapest Node in the coming years according to Industry expert. With Gorilla Glass price dropping as well. The iPhone 5C will likely be the lowest BOM cost iPhone Apple has made since the introduction of iPhone. And will likely stay at as the Cheapest iPhone option available over the years with spec upgrade only just like the iPod touch.

• Reply 25 of 45
    These countries are pretty lucky. I love my iPhone 4. Still going strong to this day!
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ttong_atx View Post

What about OS fragmentation?

What about it?  Android seems to be doing pretty well with plenty of OS fragmentation.  ;)

• Reply 27 of 45
    Poor move by apple!
    I recently sold my iphone 4 as ios7 was making it useless! I tell my Indian friends not to buy iph 4 - instead pay a bit more and get 4s. Both have the same great look and feel but 4s would last longer with OS lifecycle upgrades. Or if you can afford go for 5s - amazing phone.
  • Reply 28 of 45

Here in India, people really took up the various EMI offers offered for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 earlier. Those triggered a good increase in sales last year.

Apple could have brought prices down to prices of unlocked phones in the US or atleast close to it. But due to reasons unfathomable, it still chooses to keep the prices $110 - $200 more in India. Who the **** in their right minds will pay that exorbitant premium even in so-called non-poor countries?

Here's the prices so you can check. These are official Apple prices so I am not considering any discounts given in either country by retailers:

*taking $1 = ?63

iPhone 5S 16GB unlocked

US: $649

India: ?53,500 = $849

So, Extra price in India = $200

iPhone 5c 16GB unlocked

US: $549

India: ?41,900 = $665

So, Extra price in India = $116

I guess all those people feeling sorry for India's poor can shut up now. Most Indians are smart enough to not fall for such shit.

(Edit: corrected the Apple India price for 5c from ?41,500 to ?41,900)

• Reply 29 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why 4 and not 4S?

4S has 1080p video, 4 has 720p. When you've only got 8GB to begin with, 720 is more reasonable

4S has Siri, is expected to have Siri, and maybe they can't support it so well in these areas yet.

4S production is already maxed in producing the third-tier phone. They now want a fourth tier.

One way this all makes sense is if it were a contingency plan all along, if the market and economic conditions blew a certain way. Otherwise, why would they hang on to parts and tooling?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    spacerays wrote: »
    Here in India, people really took up the various EMI offers offered for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 earlier. Those triggered a good increase in sales last year.

Apple could have brought prices down to prices of unlocked phones in the US or atleast close to it. But due to reasons unfathomable, it still chooses to keep the prices $110 - $200 more in India. Who the **** in their right minds will pay that exorbitant premium even in so-called non-poor countries?

Here's the prices so you can check. These are official Apple prices so I am not considering any discounts given in either country by retailers:
    *taking $1 = ?63

iPhone 5S 16GB unlocked

US: $649

India: ?53,500 = $849

So, Extra price in India = $200

iPhone 5c 16GB unlocked

US: $549

India: ?41,500 = $659

So, Extra price in India = $110

I guess all those people feeling sorry for India's poor can shut up now. Most Indians are smart enough to not fall for such shit.

Seems more reasonable that you're looking at tariffs, taxes, and/or several layers of markup by middlemen. I can't imagine that Apple would just be engaged in price gouging in India out of common greed.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Import tariffs and taxes into India are circa 25%-40% depending on product.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    Knee jerk reaction. The most current OS slows the 4 down to a brick and will hardly exhume Apple's status of high quality. Unless they upgrade the chip, which they won't, I can't see this as helping Apple's status there long term.

Can't agree with you there. I have a iPhone 4 on iOS 7 and my wife has one running iOS 6. I run Geekbench 2 on both and the results were almost the same, with my phone coming out on top every time by a single point.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    This makes sense now. I remember reading Apple was sending lots of refurbished iPhone 4 models to India. They must have been a success - so much so that Apple decided it was the right phone for the low-data-speed environment and low average income level of the market. This is a good move, as mentioned before, to get people into the ecosystem.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Can't offer the 4s or 5c at dirt cheap prices without affecting the products currently for sale in other areas.
    Indeed.

Even the 4s has a semblance of working fine. Demand in the west for the iPhone 4 is negligible at best
  • Reply 35 of 45

I can see this making sense if it addresses a market segment that otherwise will not (or cannot) purchase a 4s or greater and does not cannibalize the existing 4s and above sales.

Practically, I would think putting iOS 6 on it makes sense.  While that obviously dilutes their largely consistent iOS experience they offer across the iPhone portfolio, my iPhone 4 is so incredibly sluggish on iOS 7.  In hindsight I would've stuck with iOS 6.

• Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Or how about 5c?

If it's good enough for the Biebs...

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/05/bieber-buys-iphones-for-young-fans

• Reply 37 of 45
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    iPhone 5C = cheap iPhone for developing markets
    Apple will resume iPhone 4 production for developing markets

Same rumour just with other wording...
  • Reply 38 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It appears that the 'c' in iPhone 5c stands for 'c you later'.
  • Reply 39 of 45

I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long without input from Apple ][.

• Reply 40 of 45
    what we really need is actually an iphone store 'legit one'. we have to buy to another country near us (singapore) just to have one of apple product. whats left in our country is just a second hand or refurbish one. wonder why....