Developer of unexpected iOS hit Flappy Bird pulls title from App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
The developer behind massively popular indie game Flappy Bird removed the app from Apple's iOS App Store on Sunday, saying he 'cannot take this anymore.'

Flappy Bird

After a meteoric rise to the No. 1 spot on Apple's iOS App Store charts, the deceivingly simple Flappy Bird has been removed by the game's developer Dong Nguyen. The takedown comes after Nguyen promised to pull Flappy Bird on Saturday.

At one point, Flappy Bird was raking in about $50,000 per day from in-game advertising, reports The Verge. In addition to revenue, ads were added to enhance the gaming experience, according to Nguyen, who modeled the title after bite-sized Japanese offerings.

The exact reason for Flappy Bird's removal is unknown, though Nguyen stated legal issues are not to blame. When the developer announced he would be pulling the app, some theorized Nintendo had taken issue with the title's art style, which was heavily influenced by Super Mario Bros. In a series of tweets following the sudden rise in downloads it became apparent that Nguyen was distressed by the amount of attention he and his game were getting.

I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down. I cannot take this anymore.

-- Dong Nguyen (@dongatory)

Also unclear is why the game became so popular. After lying relatively dormant in the App Store since its debut in May 2013, Flappy Bird saw a huge spike in downloads over a short period of time. Some attribute the boost to a slew of social media posts and ensuing press coverage.

Nguyen's small development firm dotGears Studios has released a few other titles similar to Flappy Bird, though none have seen the same level of success. With a refusal to sell the game's rights to another party, it appears Flappy Bird's death will be just as spontaneous as its rise to the top.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Was anyone else disturbed by the language of the Flappy Bird reviews? Either they were all written by the same person/organization, or for some strange reason it's common for people to associate an addicting game with Satan/the devil.

Honestly, I was confused by the striking similarity in both thematics and semantics.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    The reason why this game went viral is because it essentially has become an internet meme. Popular YouTuber "PewDiePie" uploaded a video of him playing it -- he has 22 million subscribers, meaning that gave the game a lot of traction. Also, it became a trend to post vine videos (on the popular app "Vine"). These videos are also spread throughout other popular social media sites -- this is how the game has become a meme.

@Sporlo, I think the App Store reviews referring to possession and the devil is part of this meme. People have been making up stories about how this game has caused them to lose their life and sanity to the addictive qualities of this game. It's a bit of an ongoing dark-humor joke about this game.

I think that all of these jokes, videos, and internet memes being created in reference to this game, is part of the reason why the creator has taken down the game. I, personally, don't believe that is a justified reason to take a game that makes him $50k a day, but it's what he felt was the right thing to do.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

With that sort of money, Dong could/should just a hire a PR Manager to filter out the abuse. I would! Life too short to deal with other people's insecurities. 

• Reply 4 of 33
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Copycat Frappy Bird app in 3... 2... 1...

• Reply 5 of 33
    Coming soon to the App Store: Flapping Geese, Flappie the Bird, Flap Flap Flap!, and Flap Away Birdie.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Played flappy for about 2 to 5 minutes then deleted it, not much I could say about it without using foul language so I'll leave it at that. Just wasnt for me. :)
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Was anyone else disturbed by the language of the Flappy Bird reviews? Either they were all written by the same person/organization, or for some strange reason it's common for people to associate an addicting game with Satan/the devil.

Honestly, I was confused by the striking similarity in both thematics and semantics.

I noticed it and was like what is going on here....  It was kind of suspicious unless people were trying to out do one another on their "review"

I also noticed my game updated yesterday and I just downloaded the game for the first time on Thursday. I thought that was weird once I heard he was pulling the game. 

• Reply 8 of 33
    Has it been removed from the android store too?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Has it been removed from the android store too?

Yes, it was removed from the Play Store as well.

• Reply 10 of 33
    If it's raking in 50 big ones a day, and the developer doesn't want the bother then maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't the normal thing to do in this case be to pay someone say a grand a week to answer the phone?
  • Reply 11 of 33

Fappie Man. Avoid getting caught

• Reply 12 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    john.b wrote: »

Crappy Bird...
  • Reply 13 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    ijalex wrote: »
    Played flappy for about 2 to 5 minutes then deleted it, not much I could say about it without using foul language so I'll leave it at that. Just wasnt for me. :)

You mean 'fowl language'.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    john.b wrote: »

There are already a whole slew of copies in Google play, I was talking to a work colleague and as Flappy Bird was gone he settled for Flappy Wings, an almost exact replica.

Apparently this Dong guy couldn't deal with all the death and suicide threats he was getting via twitter.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    These memes often don't run very long so it would seem worthwhile going with it for the 20-40 days to become a millionaire even if it meant losing a lot of sleep.

I suspect there was something more to the takedown than 'hassle', after all we don't know what the 'it' was that he couldn't take any more; maybe not a strictly legal threat, but there are other reasons why it might have been necessary, perhaps Apple required a takedown for an undisclosed reason.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Nintendo IMHO is behind this. FB is reminiscent of Mario Brothers.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Coming soon to the App Store: Flapping Geese, Flappie the Bird, Flap Flap Flap!, and Flap Away Birdie.

Maybe Flappy Candy.
    1nf3cted wrote:
    I, personally, don't believe that is a justified reason to take a game that makes him $50k a day, but it's what he felt was the right thing to do.

Because it's ad revenue, the people who still have the game (50 million downloads) should still keep generating the money. It doesn't get removed from the devices. Some people have even taken to eBay to sell their devices at a premium with Flappy Bird installed.
    1nf3cted wrote:
    Popular YouTuber "PewDiePie" uploaded a video of him playing it -- he has 22 million subscribers, meaning that gave the game a lot of traction.

That would explain it. The game was uploaded a year ago but just took off recently. The PewDiPie video has over 9 million views, Flappy starts about half way:

[VIDEO]

This is one distinction with iOS and consoles - the social media part and free to play or low cost games. When a big title comes out on consoles, the marketing is more controlled and directed towards these big titles. With iOS, it can be anything, any free game gets a mention where a lot of people are looking and it can take off big time. It's school kids that subscribe to these sort of Youtube channels.

Sadly, that's who developers and publishers are going to target now. They will aim to develop a game in under a week that will keep the attention of a few hundred thousand school kids for a few days and hope it goes viral. And nothing can stop it.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Marvin wrote: »

This is one distinction with iOS and consoles - the social media part and free to play or low cost games. When a big title comes out on consoles, the marketing is more controlled and directed towards these big titles. With iOS, it can be anything...

it.

Marvin ! I got you !
  • Reply 19 of 33

I keep hearing this $50,000 number bandied about.  Is that what the developer was averaging per day, or was that the gross ad revenue?   Even if this is the gross, the developer supposedly gets 70%, so he was averaging at least $35000.   Not too shabby.  

• Reply 20 of 33
    Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

Marvin ! I got you !

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAYYYYYYY! Automator vs. Marvin, live on the Apple TV WWF channel!