iPhone upgraders leave nearly $13.5B in old hardware to collect dust

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    I keep all my Apple hardware. I even keep the packaging. The book case behind me looks like part of an Apple Store. I just love to look at the design.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "iPhone upgraders leave nearly $13.5B in old hardware to collect stuff"

Not I.

I follow the principles of minimisation so well that I make Steve Jobs look like a hoarder in this photo!

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/38365/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're not alone. I prefer the solid form factor of the 4S over the 5 series. Hopefully, Ivy gets off his asinine ultra-thin kick and puts some solidity back into the product [you'd think so with an edge-to-edge rumor].

So it's impossible for something to be both thin AND solid? I think the iPad Air, iPod touch, and MacBook Air would disagree with you.

• Reply 24 of 94
    Give them away to friends and family. Even if they don't want to use them as phones, they're perfectly fine for other purposes.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    You're not alone. I prefer the solid form factor of the 4S over the 5 series. Hopefully, Ivy gets off his asinine ultra-thin kick and puts some solidity back into the product [you'd think so with an edge-to-edge rumor].

As much as I like the 4S for its glassy solidity, I also look forward to a time when I can snap up a 5s cheap, mostly because of the camera, but also because of its weight and thinness. Minimum mass needed to get the job done is always the best engineering principle.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    My 3G and 4 are permenanrly plugged into cars as iPods, my 5, I gave to my wife, I use a 5s, my kids use my old Galazy Nexus, a Nexus 4 and my Galaxy S4 is a spare.

Older than that have been sent to India and Fiji via various contacts.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    pooch wrote: »
    i think i'm putting mine to good use. my current phone is a 5s. i have a 3GS, 4, and 5. the unlocked 3GS gets loaned to friends who are traveling out of the country. so far it's been to turkey, spain, czechoslovakia, england, and canada. the unlocked 4 is used primarily when i'm traveling out of the country. i use the 5 as an IP camera when i'm away, and both the 4 and 5 are put to good use as extra cameras as i practice my multi-camera editing techniques. and the 5 is my backup, just in case ...

So you have lent an iPhone to people that have traveled to a country that hasn't existed since 1993?
  • Reply 28 of 94
    jfanning wrote: »
    So you have lent an iPhone to people that have traveled to a country that hasn't existed since 1993?

Don't be a jerk.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    And then there are people that choose to keep them to reminisce. I have all of my old phones back to my Motorola RAZR and I power it up now and then.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    With iPod Touches being as much as a damn phone, my old iPhone is my kids new iPod Touch. With a google phone number free on wifi, she uses that to talk to family and friends and it stores a lot of songs and movies on it's 64GB drive. I'm sure all those phones are definitely not being wasted.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    gtr wrote: »
    Don't be a jerk.

I'm with jfanning on this one, when someone says they've been to Czechoslovakia with a phone made not more than four years ago I'm left wondering, did they go to the Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic, to both countries or to neither?
  • Reply 32 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I'm with jfanning on this one...

Then you BOTH missed the point of his post.

• Reply 33 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Guility as charged. I have every iPod, every iPhone and every iPad and many, many Macs in a cupboard. I am a incurable Appleholic.

This is the only thread where we can boast of how many Apple products we have and not be called trolls!

So here goes:

iPod 3rd Gen

iPod Photo

iMac 27" late-2009

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone 5

iPhone 5s

MacBook Pro 15" early-2011

Mac Mini 2006

2 Mac Minis 2013

MacBook Air 2012

Apple TV

iPad

iPad 2

iPad 3rd Gen.

iPad 4th Gen.

iPad Air

iPad Mini

Of course, not all of them are in use!!

• Reply 34 of 94
    I haven't if the point of his post is that his old 3GS is being reused, for want of a better term, as a travel phone and has proven itself to be still versatile and useful wherever in the globe it may be.

My issue is that the inaccuracy undermines confidence in believing the post.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Quote:

I haven't if the point of his post is that his old 3GS is being reused, for want of a better term, as a travel phone and has proven itself to be still versatile and useful wherever in the globe it may be.

My issue is that the inaccuracy undermines confidence in believing the post.

Here we go.

Cretin's Law in full effect.

"Cretins Law - As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the ORIGINAL TOPIC approaches zero.."

• Reply 36 of 94
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    And then there are people that choose to keep them to reminisce. I have all of my old phones back to my Motorola RAZR and I power it up now and then.

I'd love to get my hands on a StarTAC.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    [quote name="GTR" url="/t/162027/iphone-upgraders-leave-nearly-13-5b-in-old-hardware-to-collect-dust/30#post_2471502"]
    Here we go.
    [/QUOTE]

The greatest irony being your post quoting Cretin's law moved the discussion towards that zero probability than my previous post contemplating what happens with old iPhone hardware.

So, GTR, are you keeping the discussion civilised?
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Here we go.

"Cretins Law - As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the ORIGINAL TOPIC approaches zero.."

The dilemma with mentioning Cretins law is that it makes the poster a cretin. :lol:
  • Reply 39 of 94
    Quote:

The greatest irony being your post quoting Cretin's law moved the discussion towards that zero probability than my previous post contemplating what happens with old iPhone hardware.

So, GTR, are you keeping the discussion civilised?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The dilemma with mentioning Cretins law is that it makes the poster a cretin. image

I realise you gentlemen would love to get in to a pointless argument possibly about country locations, histories, timelines, people of interest, their achievements, word pronunciation, and spelling of said countries but how about we return to the original topic of the thread about people loving their devices so much that they regularly continue to use them?

If anybody would love to discuss other anal-retentive matters, please feel free to contact me in private.

• Reply 40 of 94

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

but how about we return to the original topic of the thread about people loving their devices so much that they regularly continue to use them?

Lovely, more irony from you GTR about missing the point.

The point of the article is about how much hardware isn't used but left to collect dust.

Pooch was pointing out how his experience is counter to the article's findings.

So, spare us your sanctimonious lectures about being civil, on topic and being anally-retentive.