Apple's second 'your verse' story focuses on iPad in mountaineering

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frac View Post

I kept my iPhone under my hat...apparently you lose a lot of heat from there, and it was fine.

That is indeed what I was told in a camping equipment store, and was told to wear a hat while sleeping. I believe that was the tipping point for me and I booked hotels all over the country to avoid hat wearing hassle.
    Quote:

Anyways, those limitations are just to cover Apple's ass come warranty claims and in no way limit it's actual possible use in extreme conditions

According to reader/poster kdarling the 10,000 ft limitation was set due to HDD's, but his post was years before the iPad was out. But I agree, limited liability could be it. Still, in their defence, they swap a seemingly broken device with a new one very easily. Or at least, here in The Netherlands.

Hard to spend much time above 10,000 ft in the Netherlands, I would guess.

• Reply 22 of 55
    muppetry wrote: »

Educated guess; our highest mountain hill is something like 900ft. "The rest is as flat as iOS7." Oops
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

"What apps do you use for hiking?"

Gaia GPS is my main app. Also use Peaks (point it to the skyline and it will tell you what mountains you are looking at), theodolite (get stats for what your are looking at) , alltrails (great to find local hikes), Maps 3D (Uses nasa DEM info to create cool 3D topo maps, gives you an idea of the height of mountain and trails)

Theodolite is an excellent app. In the US, the ScenicMap apps are very functional offline, and Topo Maps has the best set of USGS maps that I have found so far. Galileo is good for custom offline map production.

• Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Educated guess; our highest mountain hill is something like 900ft. "The rest is as flat as iOS7." Oops

And fortunately, these devices also work at negative elevations.

• Reply 25 of 55
    And fortunately, these devices also work at negative elevations.

Lol. That's a positive view you have
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok I love Apples new design language on their website but

*KLAXON* *KLAXON* *KLAXON*

Wait, hang on, shut it down; false alarm.

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I wonder if iPod will be removed as a top level device category this year.

Really? iPod? Not iTunes, which shouldn’t really be there in the first place? 

• Reply 27 of 55
    philboogie wrote: »
    Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
    Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Modified iPads because of the technical aspects?

What's the operating temperature of the human body?
  • Reply 28 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

I think the lowest your core temp can be is 80 F. Of course you can cut open a taun taun.
  • Reply 29 of 55

I'm missing something as I'm certain this one is rhetorical.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Love that apple highlighted this use of the iPad. I have been using the iPad a hiking gps ever since the iPad 2 came out. Its really one of the best hiking gps's you can buy.

I've always wished that Apple included the GPS in their wifi only iPads.

• Reply 31 of 55
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I’m 96.5?.

• Reply 32 of 55

Completely, yes. :)
    The iPad obviously works at that attitude. Some people never color outside the lines (drawn by manufacturer specs). Mountain climbers aren't those kind of people, or else they wouldn't climb mountains.
  • Reply 33 of 55

The added subtlety, of course, is that there is generally a difference between ambient temperature and device temperature, especially for devices (or organisms) that produce heat.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    My verse, in traditional haiku:
    [I]"Flappy Bird download
    tap the screen furiously.
    He died. Delete app."[/I]
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My verse, in traditional haiku:

"Flappy Bird download

tap the screen furiously.

He died. Delete app."

New product released.

It revolutionizes.

Short A A P L.

• Reply 36 of 55
    Completely, yes. :)
    The iPad obviously works at that attitude. Some people never color outside the lines (drawn by manufacturer specs). Mountain climbers aren't those kind of people, or else they wouldn't climb mountains.

I though that perhaps you were thinking of some iPad case that can stand the conditions, perhaps even warming up with 2 penlite Duracels.
    The added subtlety, of course, is that there is generally a difference between ambient temperature and device temperature, especially for devices (or organisms) that produce heat.

Good point, but I must also point out that the climber said he he also takes the iPad out and keeps it in his hands. That would expose it to the cold directly.
    “On a bad-weather day we’re checking the iPad every few minutes to make sure we’re on track,” says Harrington. “Sometimes we even keep it in our hands.”
  • Reply 37 of 55

Right.
    Just because you climb a mountain doesn't mean you expose your iPad to sub-zero temperatures for any dangerous period of time, for the same reason you don't climb mountains naked and wait for frostbite and hypothermia to kick in.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    frac wrote: »
    Dunno, but on a trip to South Georgia Island, the day temp was average -12C. I bought a backpack with a slide-in compartment that hugs the small of the back. I didn't use it with an iPad, but one would have fitted there and kept quite warm. I kept my iPhone under my hat...apparently you lose a lot of heat from there, and it was fine. :rolleyes:

Anyways, those limitations are just to cover Apple's ass come warranty claims and in no way limit it's actual possible use in extreme conditions

But then is it wise to brag about its use for mountain climbing and harse conditions in official company marketing? My iPhone is extremely wimpy in cold weather. I've had it shut down in 40 deg temp with a 50% charge. Anything below freezing and it's pretty much guaranteed to shut down.
  • Reply 39 of 55

Wanted to look at Mt. Everest on Apple Maps, searched for it several different ways, no luck.  One would think they would make it easy given this pitch.

• Reply 40 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Right.
    Just because you climb a mountain doesn't mean you expose your iPad to sub-zero temperatures for any dangerous period of time, for the same reason you don't climb mountains naked and wait for frostbite and hypothermia to kick in.

I will say my iPad is much more robust than my iPhone. Maybe because of its increased mass. But if I take my phone out of my jacket pocket in below freezing temps for more than a couple of minutes it will shut down. I've simply had to learn I can't rely on my iPhone when it's cold out.