Apple's iPhone led 2013 US consumer smartphone sales with 45% share - NPD

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 69
    jpd514 wrote: »
    How much of Apple sale are related to American protectionism?

    How much of Samsung no sale are related to American racism?

    That would change the figures a lot.

    Facts, not FUD.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    No, not in the slightest.

    Now, xenophobia in South Korea itself, on the other hand…

    Says he's in "Canada."
    Guess they think all Americans are a bunch of racists.
  • Reply 23 of 69

    I disagree. Apple needs to be betting on the future of the industry. The industry changes at such a rate now that you cannot afford to be left behind. I think the way the industry is headed now  is much different then just small devices. Apple will not survive in the long run if they just play a small part in the tech industry. Apple needs to branch out and takes chances with future. Take a look at Google's way of business. They have there hands in so many investments for the future that there is a sure way at hitting something big and dominating the industry. Look at Google Fiber. 100 times faster then regular cable modems. They invest in car technology in self driving cars. They invest in medical science technology. If any or one of those pays off it could pay big time.

     

    I think Apple has its head up there asses. I mean this seriously because in the technology of the future is not going be just small devices. iPads iPhones and iPods iwatches are not going to cut it. Personally I would rather see iGlasss or Apple Glasses. Make that connect to your iphone so you have iphone functionality to me is much more appealing.

     

    Again I believe Apple needs to really start looking outside the box. Remember the I-device was a new technology at the time when it came out and it changed the world. The next big thing is not a device. To change the world it needs to be something new oustide of devices.

    Apple has the money to do this but instead Tim Cooks listens to Carl Ichan and basically gives away its money instead of investing in the future. What a waste. All those profits given away for what? Stock price. Stock price hasn't even moved and who the cares about stock price if Apple isn't making great products. Steve Jobs was right: Don't worry about the stock price and just focus on making great products. The Stock price will reflect that. This was their main concern in in the 1990's and look where it got them. A waste. The television commercial "made in Cupertino California" would never have been made if Jobs was at the helm. That adds only message was praising itself. What an embarrassment as an Apple user and fan. Apple has had its head right up their asses with that ad. Tim Cook is not a great CEO.

     

    And this is coming from someone who cares emensly about Apple. I have used Apple products since the Apple II in 1979. So don't tell me I am an Apple basher. I am just looking at this with common sense and curve of the industry and its future.

     

    Get with it Apple. Before its to late.

  • Reply 24 of 69
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

    Take a look at Google's way of business.



    A shining example of what not to do.

     

    They have there hands in so many investments for the future that there is a sure way at hitting something big and dominating the industry.


     

    You don’t comprehend Apple in the slightest.

     

    I mean this seriously because in the technology of the future is not going be just small devices.



     

    Sure it won’t¡

     

    Again I believe Apple needs to really start looking outside the box.


     

    You’ve lost it.

     

    The next big thing is not a device.



     

    Which you know because… Ah, you don’t.

     

    Tim Cooks listens to Carl Ichan




    Uh…

     

    The television commercial "made in Cupertino California" would never have been made if Jobs was at the helm.



     

    Rule #46.

     

    And this is coming from someone who cares emensly about Apple. I have used Apple products since the Apple II in 1979. So don't tell me I am an Apple basher.


     

    Rule #4.

  • Reply 25 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

     

    Why doesn't Apple simply built itself a search engine?  Wall Street says that Google has no competition and it would seem like a wide-open market where Apple could make some money by putting its own search engine on all Apple products as default.  Apple would then become more like Google of having a business that is just like becoming part of the internet.  If Google is seen as having unlimited growth in search then Apple should also get itself some unlimited growth instead of continuing as a no-growth, range bound company.  So far, everything Apple has tried to do to boost its share price has turned sour for shareholders.  Dividends and buybacks are shown to be useless.  A company without major market share always seems to get left for dead.  Apple is going to need to come out with a radical new product every year or the company is going to lose more and more shareholder value.  If Apple had been able to acquire Tesla, I believed that would have drastically changed Wall Street's view of Apple's non-existent future.


    One would argue that iOS is becoming the 'search engine major domo' picking the best source of info based on what you are 'looking for'

     

    Both Apple and Google are driving context awareness into their mobile devices and OSes.

     

    As for 'new product every year or it will lose [Wall Street defined] shareholder value....' I think your definition of 'success' is different than Apple's.

    To Apple, success is the creation of a long term impact on the human experience that transcends time, one that rivals Einstein's Theories, Newton's laws, the Roman aquaducts, the wheel, the knife, the domesticated horse.   And to maintain enough market presence to drive those ideas forward to continually change the way we do things (more a GE, but with the initial smarts of Tesla - the man, not the company).

     

    [Note: I'm FORMERLY an AAPL investor]

  • Reply 26 of 69

    You reply with just sound bites and snippets of your nose in the air. You are not worth my time.

  • Reply 27 of 69
    Yes, most of Apple's eggs are in one basket.  A diversity of products is Sammy's strength. Though I'm not sure what share of Sammy's profits come from smartphones or TVs or toasters or vacuum cleaners.  (Or all-electric automobiles....) 

    While it is technically true that Apple has most of its eggs in one basket, this is not because Apple does not have a diverse range of products and services. (Though certainly not as diverse as Samsung.) Apple's "problem" is that it has one product that is wildly successful compared to its other products and services. But some of those other products and services (iPad, iTunes) are market-leaders in their own right.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

    You reply with just sound bites and snippets of your nose in the air. You are not worth my time.

     

    You’re completely and utterly wrong. You’re not worth our time.

  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

     

    As for 'new product every year or it will lose [Wall Street defined] shareholder value....' I think your definition of 'success' is different than Apple's.

    To Apple, success is the creation of a long term impact on the human experience that transcends time, one that rivals Einstein's Theories, Newton's laws, the Roman aquaducts, the wheel, the knife, the domesticated horse.   And to maintain enough market presence to drive those ideas forward to continually change the way we do things (more a GE, but with the initial smarts of Tesla - the man, not the company).

     

    [Note: I'm FORMERLY an AAPL investor]

     

     

    Couldnt agree more. Google is a model of laying down a foundation for the future. They invest in technologies that will one day become common place. These things are set in motion and some of them will hit big. (self driving cars for instance)

     

    I think Apple needs to think more outside the box. Devices are not going to soley cut it as a future for a heavy technology company. Look at Microsoft as a company that didn't innovate and didn't take seriously the future of the technology. They got left behind. Could happen to Apple if the don't start to seriously consider the future of what the computer industry will mean 10  and 20 years from now.

     

    Google's stock price in a large part reflects the future investments that they make. They are setting a that future looks like a sure way to become big some day. That's why investors like it so much and its price is driven so high. Take Amazon for instance. They are doing things that no one ever expected and their stock price high for that company.

     

    Apples stock price reflects the future of the company.

     

    Tesla for example stock price at 200, because investors see a big and bright profitable future on the next 5 to 10 years and beyond.

     

    See my post above.


  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    You’re completely and utterly wrong. You’re not worth our time.


     

    There is no need to respond to you when you think you speak for a collective on this board.

  • Reply 31 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,657member
    Note: the Apple III failed.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

    There is no need to respond to you when you think you speak for a collective on this board.


     

    If you could prove anything you’ve claimed, you would have already done it. Shut up and go away.

  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Note: the Apple III failed.

     

    I am am aware of this. But you make no reply to my comments.

  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    If you could prove anything you’ve claimed, you would have already done it. Shut up and go away.


     

     

    You have now just proven you are a troll.

  • Reply 35 of 69
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,771member
    This is a discussion board for sharing opinions, not repeating dry facts ad nauseum.

    Apple III, I think you're right in that Apple need to be thinking bigger in terms of ecosystem or they risk being nipped at from all sides. They have great command of the current digital hubs, but there is only so much more expansion space within those walls, and their rivals are getting into much broader games, the living room, the road, and others. If the rivals build momentum in other areas then Apple could become vulnerable at the core. Apple aren't too late; it's quite disappointing how their competitors seem unable to deliver killer products that can dominate their sectors, but Apple can't afford to wait until they do, once a product gains traction is can be hard to unseat.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post



    This is a discussion board for sharing opinions, not repeating dry facts ad nauseum.



    Apple III, I think you're right in that Apple need to be thinking bigger in terms of ecosystem or they risk being nipped at from all sides. They have great command of the current digital hubs, but there is only so much more expansion space within those walls, and their rivals are getting into much broader games, the living room, the road, and others. If the rivals build momentum in other areas then Apple could become vulnerable at the core. Apple aren't too late; it's quite disappointing how their competitors seem unable to deliver killer products that can dominate their sectors, but Apple can't afford to wait until they do, once a product gains traction is can be hard to unseat.



    Yes. Completely agree.

  • Reply 37 of 69
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

    You have now just proven you are a troll.


     

    Hilarious.

     

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

    This is a discussion board for sharing opinions, not repeating dry facts ad nauseum.

     

    And if the opinion is wrong, do you expect it to stand unchallenged?

  • Reply 38 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,657member
    apple/// wrote: »
    I am am aware of this. But you make no reply to my comments.

    It's too long for my ADD. But I do note you don't know Apple at all. In recent history, Apple has always looked outside the box. It always is looking to skate to where the puck will be. You compare to Google, they are using a shotgun approach to research. None of these external projects have amounted to anything. They are mainly using them for PR. Meanwhile Apple is quietly doing what it does best: produce amazing products. It will release new products when it seems ready. Fuk the competition. Why are you so worried about them. They had years to dev and release new items but didn't until Apple showed them the way. Sure, one of them could produce the next great thing. But I'll always bet on Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Facts, not FUD.

    For the facts, no need of a fastidious study on the american protectionism, it's public. Politic, newspaper, court, everywhere.

     

    And for proving american racism, just read the comments on appleinsider.

     

    It's alarming. Shocking.

  • Reply 40 of 69
    jpd514 wrote: »
    How much of Apple sale are related to American protectionism?
    How much of Samsung no sale are related to American racism? ...
    On that note it is worth noting that Samsung is suing Dyson for tarnishing their image.
    Seems they may be trying to stem the tide that came from those more clever court cases.
    In fact its so copycat Apple might have a claim against Dyson for prior art.
    :\

    Outside of the US the iPhone has often died a death so marketing is certainly all a perception thing.
Sign In or Register to comment.