Apple CEO Tim Cook remembers late Steve Jobs 59 years after his birth

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Monday would have been the 59th birthday of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs -- a fact recognized by his successor Tim Cook, who posted a pair of quotes from Jobs on his official Twitter account.

Jobs


"Remembering my friend Steve on his birthday," Cook wrote in the first of a pair of tweets. "'Stay hungry, Stay foolish.' We honor him by continuing the work he loved so much."

In a second post to his account, Cook shared another quote from Jobs: "Details matter. It's worth waiting to get it right."

Jobs was born on Feb. 24, 1955, in San Francisco, Calif. He passed away in October of 2011 at the age of 56 after a long fight with cancer.



Only a few months before, Jobs permanently resigned from his position as CEO, handing over the reins of the company to Cook that August. Prior to that, Cook served as Chief Operating Officer under Jobs.

Last week, the U.S. Postal Service announced it will commemorate Jobs with his collectible postage stamp next year. A movie about Jobs' life, penned by Academy Award winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, is also in the works.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22

    Happy Birthday Steve!

  • Reply 2 of 22
    Actually the quote 'Stay hungry, stay foolish' isn't from Jobs, but he quoted it from a magazine, a farewell message placed on the back cover of the 1974 edition of The Whole Earth Catalog.

    http://www.wholeearth.com/index.php
  • Reply 3 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    Actually the quote 'Stay hungry, stay foolish' isn't from Jobs, but he quoted it from a magazine, a farewell message placed on the back cover of the 1974 edition of The Whole Earth Catalog.



    http://www.wholeearth.com/index.php

    Which, if you watched the commencement speech you'd see Steve make explicitly clear. Anyone here who has not watched the speech should be ashamed of themselves and find a lonely spot and watch it in silence. It is a great speech. (I know you have watched it PB - not lecturing you!)

  • Reply 4 of 22
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    Actually the quote 'Stay hungry, stay foolish' isn't from Jobs, but he quoted it from a magazine, a farewell message placed on the back cover of the 1974 edition of The Whole Earth Catalog.



    http://www.wholeearth.com/index.php

     

        From the 1968 Fall edition:

     

     

    ONLY $4900!

  • Reply 5 of 22
    paxman wrote: »
    Anyone here who has not watched the speech should be ashamed of themselves and find a lonely spot and watch it in silence. It is a great speech.

    Fully agree; this speech is such a moving one, I think I cried a little the first time I say it.
    mstone wrote: »
        From the 1968 Fall edition:
    [IMAGE]

    ONLY $4900!

    Tech has gotten so cheap over the years I cannot believe people have a difficult time paying $600 or up for this thing called the iPhone. The power we have cannot be put into $$.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mstone wrote: »

    What the hell is that? Something from the age of Aquarius? Looks like something President Nixon would use to launch a first strike against the Soviets.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    philboogie wrote: »
    I cannot believe people have a difficult time paying $600 or up for this thing called the iPhone.

    Steve Ballmer couldn't believe anyone would pay $600 for a phone either.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    philboogie wrote: »
    I cannot believe people have a difficult time paying $600 or up for this thing called the iPhone.

    Steve Ballmer couldn't believe anyone would pay $600 for a phone either.

    Sir! Are you implying I equal on the levels of business intelligence as the former CEO of the largest software company on the planet, Mr. S. Ballmer? Because if you are, this would be the greatest compliment I have ever received!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post



        From the 1968 Fall edition:

    [IMAGE]



    ONLY $4900!




    Tech has gotten so cheap over the years I cannot believe people have a difficult time paying $600 or up for this thing called the iPhone. The power we have cannot be put into $$.

    $4,900.00 in 1968 had the same buying power as $33,685.55 in 2014.

     

    Annual inflation over this period was 4.28%.

     

    The average house cost $24,700

    Equivalent today: $155,300

     

    The average car cost $2,822

    Equivalent today: $17,743

     

    The average wage was $5,572

    Equivalent today: $35,034  

  • Reply 10 of 22
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    "no big deal"
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mstone wrote: »
    ^ post

    I'm amazed. Not only at the figures, but also on the research/accuracy of your post. And I can't believe people paid 'a fifth of a house' to get a calculator.
  • Reply 12 of 22

    I sure do miss the guy

  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

     

    I sure do miss the guy


     

    Same here. I just picked up my first Mac on Friday and it really blows me away. I know that he wasn't alive when it was created, but the foundation he set was great. Thanks, Steve!

  • Reply 14 of 22
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,113member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     

    ONLY $4900!


    And the sucker weighed 40 pounds!

  • Reply 15 of 22

    test

  • Reply 16 of 22

    Anyone get the significance of Mr. Cook's second tweet?  He could have said anything but decided to quote Mr. Job's regarding details and waiting till they are right.  Love the subtle clues he gives us.  Investors wake up!  I know I am.

  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    I'm amazed. Not only at the figures, but also on the research/accuracy of your post. And I can't believe people paid 'a fifth of a house' to get a calculator.

    Even a maxed out Mac Pro is around $10,000, isn't it? (Assuming no peripherals like extra screens and what-not.) What would a $33,000 computer even be? When I think about it, there just seems to be a huge gap between pro computers and IBM's Watson, with nothing in between I know of.

  • Reply 18 of 22
    philboogie wrote: »
    Sir! Are you implying I equal on the levels of business intelligence as the former CEO of the largest software company on the planet, Mr. S. Ballmer? Because if you are, this would be the greatest compliment I have ever received!

    You have an amazing idea of a compliment! ;)
  • Reply 19 of 22
    t rage wrote: »
    Anyone get the significance of Mr. Cook's second tweet?  He could have said anything but decided to quote Mr. Job's regarding details and waiting till they are right.  Love the subtle clues he gives us.  Investors wake up!  I know I am.

    Yeah, I noticed—note from Apple to world: we're not twiddling our thumbs.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Good on ya, Tim. I miss Steve Jobs.
Sign In or Register to comment.