Steve Jobs statue unveiled ahead of installation at Apple's Cupertino HQ

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    My God. It's like something out of a horror movie for cults to worship. The hell....
  • Reply 42 of 107
    comley wrote: »
    A slab of black granite shape as an iPhone with Steve jobs portrayed in the middle of it would be better than that creepy thing.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If they ever do install that thing on the campus they will need a 24/7 armed security team to prevent it from being removed by SJ devotees.

Maybe that's why they choose such an ugly piece.

I'm not sure I understand your logic. I meant remove and destroy the abominable desecration of SJ's image

• Reply 44 of 107
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Maybe in 100 years it will retro? Maybe it will be buried and late lets say 500 years, dug up by a farmer and used as an idol, kinda like 2001 space odyssey?
  • Reply 45 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand your logic. I meant remove and destroy the abdominal desecration of SJ's image

It was a (failed) attempt at humour. I was suggesting they choose something so hideous that no one would ever want to steal it.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    My 2 cents....yucky
  • Reply 47 of 107
    It looks really strange. The numeral 1 looks like a penis. The zero looks like a butt. The other stuff looks like abnormal cell growth. I hate it. Please, God, let this be a joke.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    gtr wrote: »

Yeah, I can see the Pez dispenser in there, but as far as a "1" and a "0", I see a penis on the right and a butt cheek on the left.... Jest Say'n
  • Reply 49 of 107
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I don't think Jobs really cared 0 and 1.
  • Reply 50 of 107

W.T.F. :err:

• Reply 51 of 107
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Yeah, I can see the Pez dispenser in there, but as far as a "1" and a "0", I see a penis on the right and a butt cheek on the left.... Jest Say'n

I'm hearing ya.

I see it too.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    Wait, why Cyrillic characters??
  • Reply 53 of 107
    Well, I'll go against the grain. I like it. Not because I think it's beautiful. But because of how many people think something like this has 2 options, beautiful or ugly. I think the worst choice would be to use something that represented one of Steve's babies (Mac iPod iPhone iPad) and incorporate his iconic likeness to that. I think that would have just been looking in the rear view mirror too much. Art isn't always about making people happy, as opposed to the intersection of technology and liberal arts which is what Steve and Apple try to achieve through their work. Make no mistake, when I first saw it I thought it was a bit jarring. After the first dozen or so comments of " it's ugly" I really started to like it. Steve and Apple always tried to make something that was beautiful and useful to a large amount of people. I think it would have been a mistake to try to one up them. If everyone loved it when they see it it would be a tool, not a piece of art.
    Those are my initial thoughts.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    OKay.. somebody please heat up the smelter .. this baby is going back in!
  • Reply 55 of 107

I could've gone my entire life without seeing that...  :err: 

• Reply 56 of 107

Cyrllic?  Binary, yes and even hexadecimal.  But cyrillic?  What the hell in Steve Jobs' life was even remotely connected to cyrillic?  This is a joke, isn't it?

• Reply 57 of 107
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    CREEPY
  • Reply 58 of 107
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Maybe they could submit it to the San Francisco Design Review Board and get some suggestions for modifications. Like a fountain in the back or something.
  • Reply 59 of 107

Well... it's unique I'll give it that and they were obviously "thinking different".

• Reply 60 of 107
    I love abstract art... But who approved that??