Apple, Inc. asks Arizona governor to veto state gay discrimination bill

Comments

• Reply 261 of 294
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Wow.  If there actually were a god and a heaven and all that, I'd TOTALLY be screwed. :)

Wait.  Is a short, somewhat drunken kiss on the lips with a married woman considered adultery?

Even thoughts of having sex with a married woman makes you an adulterer.
  • Reply 262 of 294
    Considering the entire bible is nothing more than TRANSLATIONS, written BY MAN, your theory is with doubt, which in itself questions your own beliefs. 

You can't be "clear" and "believe" as FACT in the same sentence about one topic. 

Christianity is the biggest ripoff religion to ever come around. It was founded to force people into a belief system for the good of governments. 

There's a good little movie you should watch. It puts things into perspective a little more. http://zeitgeistmovie.com

Keep in mind this very important part of ANY religion: Religions are based on BELIEFS and FAITH, not FACTS. If you want to believe in something and have faith, put those efforts into yourself. If you believe and have faith in YOURSELF, you'll get much further ahead in life. My life has been dramatically improved since I realized religion for what it is: complete, utter bullshit that's purest goal is to control a society. 

That's corrupted religion, no real church will ever try to control you.
  • Reply 263 of 294
    Religion: the argument that your imaginary friend is bigger than my imaginary friend.
  • Reply 264 of 294
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    aaronj wrote: »
    If you're talking about Brewer, then you would make a TERRIBLE politician.

Marriot, the NFL, Apple, American Airlines, and numerous other major corporations -- not to mention the two senators from AZ, both Republicans -- have asked her to veto the bill.  Arizona would lose hundreds of millions of dollars by losing the Super Bowl, just as they did when they refused to accept MLK Day in '93, and lost the Super Bowl to Pasedena.
    god forbid someone stand on principle.

I'll be interested to see what Apple does if she doesn't veto it. Do they pack up and move their sapphire plant (at any cost) to another state?
  • Reply 265 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's corrupted religion, no real church will ever try to control you.

You really have no clue what uniformed religions are all about. Stay in your little bubble. The free thinkers of the world know better. 

• Reply 266 of 294
    You really have no clue what uniformed religions are all about. Stay in your little bubble. The free thinkers of the world know better. 

I know way more than you. The Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are cults, many of so called 'religions' are set up by Satan to lead people off the right path. The Catholic Church was set up in the guise of Christianity to control people and obtain secrets via confessionals. So don't tell what I don't know because I know way more than you ever will.

Do you have any idea what the Mormons believe? There isn't one earth and universe, there's many of them and the 'God' of that universe was once a man just like them, and if they're righteous enough and put in the necessary work they too can reach 'God' status and have their own 'heaven and earth', and create their own mankind, those handsome lads and pretty girls that go door to door will never tell you that.
  • Reply 267 of 294
    Quote:

Do you have any idea what the Mormons believe? There isn't one earth and universe, there's many of them and the 'God' of that universe was once a man just like them, and if they're righteous enough and put in the necessary work they too can reach 'God' status and have their own 'heaven and earth', and create their own mankind, those handsome lads and pretty girls that go door to door will never tell you that.

Sounds like the same type of colorful imagination that came up with the notion that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father could make you live forever by symbolically eating his flesh and telepathically telling him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Definitely sounds cult-like.

• Reply 268 of 294
    nowayout11 wrote: »
    Sounds like the same type of colorful imagination that came up with the notion that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father could make you live forever by symbolically eating his flesh and telepathically telling him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Definitely sounds cult-like.

That's incorrect on so many levels.
  • Reply 269 of 294
    Quote:

That's incorrect on so many levels.

Heck yeah it's incorrect. The very idea of a Jewish zombie is outlandish. You don't have to tell me. Tell the followers of the jewish zombie how wrong it is.  Meanwhile I can just sit back with popcorn and watch all the cultists fight over how much they think they know what happens after death.

• Reply 270 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsd View Post

I could never fathom how Ayn Rand libertarianism and fundamental Christianity melded. Mysterious ways indeed.

I never understood why people think Ayn Rand libertarianism is a thing. Rand hated libertarians.

• Reply 271 of 294
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Don't believe it. Heaven and Hell are both right here on Earth. You make the wrong choices, you will suffer for your entire life, in some cases, cause your family to suffer long after you are gone. There is something to be said for clean living regardless if it is associated with some religious beliefs or doctrine or not.

Really? I lived my life as the good guy, and now I feel like a complete sucker. I see legions of folks gaming the system one way or another, and getting away with it and living large. Governments are corrupt from top to bottom, federal to city level, with politicians and local business leaders and other cronies walking away with vast riches, and no one cares. Once in a while you get a prosecution like the one in Bell, California, but that's the exception.

We have cops murdering a homeless, mentally ill guy and walking free. The two guys who beat Bryan Stow (and effectively killed him- the Bryan Stow that existed before the beating is destroyed) got trivial sentences, and smirked through the whole sentencing. Meanwhile Bryan and his loved ones have a life sentence of medical issues and abysmal quality of life.

But, oh, yeah, all those bad people will be sent to some fantasy firescape, right, Christians? So it's all good.

What's that? I'm going to the same place as the sociopaths and psychopaths simply because I don't believe? What kind of sick and demented dark god do you believe in? Is Darkseid running the universe? Thanos?

• Reply 272 of 294

Heck yeah it's incorrect. The very idea of a Jewish zombie is outlandish. You don't have to tell me. Tell the followers of the jewish zombie how wrong it is.  Meanwhile I can just sit back with popcorn and watch all the cultists fight over how much they think they know what happens after death.

It's clear you don't believe in Christianity and I strongly suspect that you would classify yourself as atheist. That's fine. I even recall finding it funny the first time I heard the Jesus zombie argument since it's written that he did rise from the dead, however, I do think one must respect one's desire to choose a religion which makes your repeated "jewish zombie" comments seem out of place to me.

• Reply 273 of 294
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's clear you don't believe in Christianity and I strongly suspect that you would classify yourself as atheist. That's fine. I even recall finding it funny the first time I heard the Jesus zombie argument since it's written that he did rise from the dead, however, I do think one must respect one's desire to choose a religion which makes your repeated "jewish zombie" comments seem out of place to me.

Great episode. :)  In a discussion filled with people thinking they know what happens after death, what is allegedly right and wrong, how one freedom outranks another, holding religious beliefs that aren't actually in the bible, and one person having the nerve to claim their religion is superior to others, holding up a mirror and showing them the silliness within their own religion is fair game and is no more or less out of step with the cluster this thread already is.

• Reply 274 of 294

Apple enthusiasts make strange bedfellows.

• Reply 275 of 294
    Great episode. :)  In a discussion filled with people thinking they know what happens after death, what is allegedly right and wrong, how one freedom outranks another, holding religious beliefs that aren't actually in the bible, and one person having the nerve to claim their religion is superior to others, holding up a mirror and showing them the silliness within their own religion is fair game and is no more or less out of step with the cluster this thread already is.

I see your position but I think that it's pretty much doing the same thing they are doing which I think is ultimately unproductive. That said, I personally subscribe to the Solipsism's Law which states that "The more specific an unverifiable claim is the greater the probability that the claim is not accurate."

For example, If one were to say, "there is an unseen force that created the universe," I could get behind that hypothesis. Now if one were to then say, "there is an unseen, sentient being that created the universe," that specificity becomes harder to support without evidence. Moving several steps along this path you might have statements like, "there is an unseen, sentient, omnipotent being that created the universe and is watching overing us." This now discounts the possibility that force that created it could be gone and only allows it this force to be sentient in the way that we conceive of one being able to perceive their own existence, but to also include that they are still in existence billions of (our) years later and that they know we exist (or would even give a shit). Finally you get to something very specific like " god is a Flying Spaghetti Monster that has granted the miracle of unlimited breadsticks to Olive Garden. Oh yeah, and he's a meatball mole above his lip like Cindy Crawford," which I assume no one would subscribe to.
  • Reply 276 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see your position but I think that it's pretty much doing the same thing they are doing which I think is ultimately unproductive. That said, I personally subscribe to the Solipsism's Law which states that "The more specific an unverifiable claim is the greater the probability that the claim is not accurate."

For example, If one were to say, "there is an unseen force that created the universe," I could get behind that hypothesis. Now if one were to then say, "there is an unseen, sentient being that created the universe," that specificity becomes harder to support without evidence. Moving several steps along this path you might have statements like, "there is an unseen, sentient, omnipotent being that created the universe and is watching overing us." This now discounts the possibility that force that created it could be gone and only allows it this force to be sentient in the way that we conceive of one being able to perceive their own existence, but to also include that they are still in existence billions of (our) years later and that they know we exist (or would even give a shit). Finally you get to something very specific like " god is a Flying Spaghetti Monster that has granted the miracle of unlimited breadsticks to Olive Garden. Oh yeah, and he's a meatball mole above his lip like Cindy Crawford," which I assume no one would subscribe to.

However incredulous, I could see myself getting behind a flying spaghetti monster. Eating his body would be delicious, and his heaven consists of beer volcanoes. It's all about branding. Pastafarians are winning everyday.

But this thread... was unproductive before it was created, when AI decided all click bait was good click bait. :)

• Reply 277 of 294
    However incredulous, I could see myself getting behind a flying spaghetti monster. Eating his body would be delicious, and his heaven consists of beer volcanoes. It's all about branding. Pastafarians are winning everyday.

But this thread... was unproductive before it was created, when AI decided all click bait was good click bait. :)

Eat this linguine in remembrance of me.
  • Reply 278 of 294
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

How much would it hurt their business, their image, if their CEO were to admit to the general public that he is gay?

Several times in your postings you have asked Mr. Cook to "admit" something.  Words have meanings. The word "admit" denotes confession -- a statement that one has done something wrong, illegal, immoral, improper, or otherwise unacceptable.  You don't ask him to "acknowledge" or "announce" or "clarify" or to do any other things that are non-judgemental.  Instead you demand an admission, as if there is some shame involved.

I ask, why should Mr. Cook do as you insist, when to make any sort of "admission" would be tacit acceptance of your repeated pre-judgement? 

• Reply 279 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So God doesn't care that the money has his name on it? It's all going to burn. Exactly my point. "In God We Trust" has no value whatsoever in the context of being printed on a piece of paper, including the pages of your Bible.

What you said is true.

But it's not the money nor the paper in my Bible that matters. It's the message that is communicated on those pages.

And Jesus said "render unto Ceasar what is due him." So we have our countries leadership images on the coins and paper money we use. We pay our taxes. We are fiscally responsible. It's the right thing to do. As far as removing God's name from money, why would we do that? To pretend this nation wasn't founded on biblical principles by people who did in fact proclaim "in God we trust." Why? Just do some people who choose to sleep with people of the same gender feel vindicated? That's a joke.

But just because the world as we know it will have an end doesn't mean that God "doesn't care" what happens.

• Reply 280 of 294
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Living in the bible belt I can say there actually isn't anything in the bible that says homosexuality is a sin. Quotes are "abomination", " you will surely be put to death".

I would say 1 Cor: 6:9-10 covers just about everyone.

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom 1:26-28 calls it an indecent act. As far as I know the word "sin" is never used. 

Damn this thread really went south quick. 

The word "sin" means to miss the mark. In the bible that "mark" is God's standard of holiness.

No one ever could meet that. That's why the cross. Beyond that, homosexuals are welcome to come to the cross as well. Jesus didn't come to save the perfect. He came to save the lost.

The word "sin" doesn't have to be mentioned anymore than "manslaughter," "murder," Hhomicide," or "unlawful," "illegal," etc. have to be used. anything that is against God's word wether in commission or omission is sin. Hope that helps.

It's not a word we hear much of in today's vernacular. But that's what it means.