Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer joins board of directors at Goldman Sachs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    future man wrote: »

This comment has nothing connected to Mr. Oppenheimer's new additional posting to the BOD of Goldmans, rather it is a comment and reflection in general to those who serve in BODs especially when these members hold other significant corporate roles! How can anyone serve two masters equally? One cannot. Any corporate 500 job is more than enough responsibility and work effort to keep anyone fully occupied 40+ hours a week, so another equally important job becomes physically impossible or else these BOD positions are mere veneer positions that have little related to overseeing a company. This is a sobering conclusion and it alludes to the state of affairs so prevalent in corporate America.

BOD positions are not full-time jobs.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Peter's the one guy i'd send packing.

Well, it's a very good thing you're not in any position to do that.

So remind us... exactly what can you do?

• Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Pray tell...why is that? From my view, he's been an excellent steward of Apple's assets.

That's the same thing I'm wondering. Why do we not like Oppenheimer?

He's the token Apple troll target of the month, a seemingly harmless, and by that I mean wildly successful, employee of a wildly successful company.

• Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

This comment has nothing connected to Mr. Oppenheimer's new additional posting to the BOD of Goldmans, rather it is a comment and reflection in general to those who serve in BODs especially when these members hold other significant corporate roles! How can anyone serve two masters equally? One cannot. Any corporate 500 job is more than enough responsibility and work effort to keep anyone fully occupied 40+ hours a week, so another equally important job becomes physically impossible or else these BOD positions are mere veneer positions that have little related to overseeing a company. This is a sobering conclusion and it alludes to the state of affairs so prevalent in corporate America.

Or sometimes they are people in related or unrelated fields, hopefully successful, that can provide trusted judgement, guidance, opinions, or just a confidential sounding board to the leadership of a company.  

But please... Illuminati away for us...  I'd hate to miss out on seeing a blatant eye pyramid that symbolizes a secret sect of lizardoid aliens.

Look out... Kor-po-ra-shuns! A ding dang doo!  

:smokey:

• Reply 25 of 31
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Well, it's a very good thing you're not in any position to do that.

So remind us... exactly what can you do?

Clearly make you piss yourself enough to whine about my statement.

Oppenheimer has never been well liked at Apple. He got the job after Fred screwed up. I saw Peter on a daily basis. Fred was a vortex of conversation with everyone. Peter was a black hole everyone ignored.

• Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Clearly make you piss yourself enough to whine about my statement.

Oppenheimer has never been well liked at Apple. He got the job after Fred screwed up. I saw Peter on a daily basis. Fred was a vortex of conversation with everyone. Peter was a black hole everyone ignored.

Uh-huh.  :rolleyes:  

And I slept with Jennifer Lawrence last night, and she said that Fred wasn't as good as Peter at conversation, so he was a better CFO in bed or something...

How are the fiction novels going?

• Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Uh-huh.  :rolleyes:  

And I slept with Jennifer Lawrence last night, and she said that Fred wasn't as good as Peter at conversation, so he was a better CFO in bed or something...

How are the fiction novels going?

You might want to park your skepticism at the door and consider the fact he might actually know what he's talking about. There are actually ex-Apple and ex-NextStep employees and other people who ran Apple retailers, etc., on these boards. He most likely knows exactly what he's talking about. So unless you can prove you have a stronger connection to Apple than he does, you're being rude.

• Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

You might want to park your skepticism at the door and consider the fact he might actually know what he's talking about. There are actually ex-Apple and ex-NextStep employees and other people who ran Apple retailers, etc., on these boards. He most likely knows exactly what he's talking about. So unless you can prove you have a stronger connection to Apple than he does, you're being rude.

Considering Oppenheimer's been at Apple for almost 20 years, and how well the company's been doing since 2006 and he was Jobs' choice for a replacement for Anderson as CFO, I think we deserve a little more than 'he wasn't personable' opinion from a former engineer in a different department as a professional testimony.  Especially considering this was Steve Jobs' company, was he a bad CEO because he was unfriendly at times? :rolleyes:

For now, the benchmark of Oppenheimer's performance is the company's financials: which are nothing short of outstanding.  They can have any CFO they want, but they appointed their former corporate controller, which should be a clear sign on how Apple feels about the guy.  

If some ex Apple employee wants to talk smack about a guy's personality as a testament to his professionalism, then he deserves no special handling or respect.

• Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Considering Oppenheimer's been at Apple for almost 20 years, and how well the company's been doing since 2006 and he was Jobs' choice for a replacement for Anderson as CFO, I think we deserve a little more than 'he wasn't personable' opinion from a former engineer in a different department as a professional testimony.  Especially considering this was Steve Jobs' company, was he a bad CEO because he was unfriendly at times? :rolleyes:

For now, the benchmark of Oppenheimer's performance is the company's financials: which are nothing short of outstanding.  They can have any CFO they want, but they appointed their former corporate controller, which should be a clear sign on how Apple feels about the guy.  

If some ex Apple employee wants to talk smack about a guy's personality as a testament to his professionalism, then he deserves no special handling or respect.

I never denied that he was chosen for a reason and I didn't say he's not doing a good job. You used the word "fiction" and gave a silly scenario, implying that mdriftmeyer was lying about what he said; but all he said in that post was that Oppenheimer's not the most friendly guy, and I was trying to say that he'd likely know whether that's true. If your point was not "mdriftmeyer is making this up", then it wasn't clear. I guess from what you posted to me that you were trying to tell mdriftmeyer that just because he's not nice doesn't mean he should be "sent packing", but the word "fiction" doesn't really apply in that case.

• Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires this year.

Prescient!