Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
Ferrari and Apple made their tie-up official Tuesday as iOS marketing chief Greg Joswiak joined Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo on stage at the Geneva Motor Show to introduce CarPlay support in an updated four-seat Ferrari FF grand tourer.

Ferrari
Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, left, and Apple marketing executive Greg Joswiak, right.

The 80-year-old Italian marque cited Apple as a "key partner for innovation" during their presentation, according to macprime.ch. Ferrari is the last of Apple's three launch partners to show off their CarPlay implementation after Mercedes-Benz and Volvo did so on Monday.

"CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car," Greg Joswiak said earlier this week. "iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we're thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva."

Ferrari

Perhaps fittingly, the FF has marked a series of firsts for Maranello, Italy-based Ferrari. In addition to being the automaker's first CarPlay-equipped vehicle, the 651-bhp coupe was also Ferrari's first all-wheel-drive sports car.

The presence of Apple executives is not unusual for the launch of such a high-profile partnership, though Joswiak's choice as the company's emissary is somewhat unexpected given other high-level ties between the two companies. Apple Software and services boss Eddy Cue, under whom CarPlay is developed, occupies a seat on Ferrari's board of directors.

Apple first unveiled plans for CarPlay, then known as iOS in the Car, during last year's World Wide Developers conference. The rebranded system officially launched this week and will make its way into vehicles from Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo throughout 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Ferrari finally figures out that if they are going to associate their brand with a computer manufacturer, Apple is the one to go with and Acer only cheapens their brand.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    There is much more to CarPlay than I thought.
    http://www.engadget.com/embed-5min/?sid=577&playList=518144341

We may have an iPhone scale revolution on our hands.

I think the killer app is SIRI. People will use it a lot more in the car.
    Imagine asking your car: What is the integral from 2 to 11 of X squared plus 3 X :)
    And then boom get an answer within seconds.

Is the Star Trek era upon us?

Time will tell.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Imagine asking your car: What is the integral from 2 to 11 of X squared plus 3 X :)

Is the Star Trek era is upon us?

Time will tell.
    My iPhone sits in a cradle (charging) on the dash. I use Siri a lot and i am always impressed how well it works, dictating texts (I am the weak link), or opening apps or pulsing music, or any other question I have. The biggest annoyance so far is that when I want know where a country is located it shows me the capital, not the country on a map. Hardly a deal breaker :)
  • Reply 4 of 93
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    i hope they sell something that can integrate this to you factory system...
  • Reply 5 of 93
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    More to it than I thought as well. Looks nice.. however, still not paying massive money just to have a car with it.

If they come out with 3rd party car systems with it, fine.. I'll seriously look.. but I'm going with the car I want first, car system second..

I'm getting an Elio from Elio Motors (www.eliomotors.com) in Q1 2015.. maybe some 3rd party options will be available then.. Hard to turn down 84 MPG highway at a sticker price of $6800 new ... At that price, I can afford to add stuff later. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 93
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

That girl did a great in-car presentation. She was nice and relaxed, down to earth and confident. She came across well.

• Reply 7 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Loved all the hater comments on Engadget. You know Apple has something (potentially) successful when the haters are out in full force. :D

Too bad that Ferrari seems to have gone with a resistive screen. Volvo's implementation looks much better and more responsive.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    I am not sure why the car manufacturers just won't stick an iPad in the car.

It should quite easily replace the existing entertainment system, climate control, navigation system etc.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    technotechno Posts: 737member

They have to get rid of the tether though. A cable connection? I want to just sit in the car and it connects while the phone is in my pocket. And, there should be an option for profiles. I want to be able to choose whose phone syncs and the hierarchy of which connects first.

• Reply 10 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Loved all the hater comments on Engadget. You know Apple has something (potentially) successful when the haters are out in full force. :D

Too bad that Ferrari seems to have gone with a resistive screen. Volvo's implementation looks much better and more responsive.

1) I didn't notice it was resistive but I did notice they had a dedicated, physical APPLE CARPLAY button on the console. Not sure if that was just for this release, something Ferarri will do, or something others will do. I like that. I would much rather have that than my AM and FM radio buttons on my car. I also liked the demo showing the FF app in CarPlay will get you back to the default UI for the car when pressed.

2) I like the cars that use a knob for selecting CarPlay apps. That is much safer, especially if it will read off each selection as you select it, thereby allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

3) I like the virtual Home Button being at the lower left but I think that the rest of the left side seems like wasted space. I also don't care for the right side having the scroll and alphabet options since it could be utilized too much and be too much of a stretch for the average to comfortably and safely reach.

4) Are all of these screens the same aspect ratio? 4:3? If not how many different UIs is Apple making? Does their CarPlay system require a certain aspect ratio? What about resolution or sizes? There is surely some leeway in size for a given UI but resolution could easily change wildly between manufactures. Is Apple using Resolution Independence here? It's plugged in so power isn't an issue.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    Great, an exec saying "experience". Let the MSification of Apple begin!
  • Reply 12 of 93
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

of course Google will announce its Android knock-off version of CarPlay in a matter of months, if not weeks. and with more apps you might use of course - it's open! except this is a situation where simplicity is essential. what CarPlay apparently is 'missing' is web - not map - "search." e.g., can Siri search wikipedia for factoids in CarPlay? you can be sure Google Voice will. along with ... yes, wait for it ... ads.

you can see CarPlay is just one option of the Nav system. you don't have to use it at all. there are standard BT, media, and map options too. i'm sure that will be true for all car brands.

car makers will have to support every major ecosystem - they want to sell their cars to everyone - and Apple got its foot in the door first. poor MS will have to beg to be included too, after bungling its early Ford opportunity.

why the need for a hard wired connection instead of wifi, like AirPlay, or BT4? it would be nice to just leave the iPhone in your pocket/purse. expect we will learn what the technical issues are ... and the iPad would need a wireless setup more, so maybe that is why it is omitted from V.1.

the test will be how many 2015 brands and models feature CarPlay this fall. Google will have to wait for the 2016 models - real world deployment takes careful preparation - so Apple could get a good jump into this market before Google can turn it into a commodity product.

of course this just integrates your car into your existing Apple ecosystem - more 'stickiness,' more iPhones sold. that's what it's all about for Apple.

• Reply 13 of 93
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member

I'm liking CarPlay, but I do have some questions/concerns. It's a great solution to make it part of same physical system as the standard OS and running besides the standard OS of the car so that if you don't have an iPhone you can still use in-car entertainment. But it does give car manufacturers great control over the ways in which you interact with CarPlay (when it comes to physical buttons and types of touchscreens etc). F.e. we have seen that the way you control CarPlay is slightly different for Volvo than it is for Ferrari or Mercedes (you can use the knob f.e.). This in turn resulting in not having exactly the same user experience everywhere.

Just a small concern I have. Another one is that the updates of the two OS's are completely separate and if not how much dependency is put on the car manufacturer to push updates, f.e. does the car manufacturer like Mercedes with their central control knob need to adapt CarPlay to be able to use this?

• Reply 14 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I didn't notice it was resistive but I did notice they had a dedicated, physical APPLE CARPLAY button on the console. Not sure if that was just for this release, something Ferarri will do, or something others will do. I like that. I would much rather have that than my AM and FM radio buttons on my car. I also liked the demo showing the FF app in CarPlay will get you back to the default UI for the car when pressed.

2) I like the cars that use a knob for selecting CarPlay apps. That is much safer, especially if it will read off each selection as you select it, thereby allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

3) I like the virtual Home Button being at the lower left but I think that the rest of the left side seems like wasted space. I also don't care for the right side having the scroll and alphabet options since it could be utilized too much and be too much of a stretch for the average to comfortably and safely reach.

4) Are all of these screens the same aspect ratio? 4:3? If not how many different UIs is Apple making? Does their CarPlay system require a certain aspect ratio? What about resolution or sizes? There is surely some leeway in size for a given UI but resolution could easily change wildly between manufactures. Is Apple using Resolution Independence here? It's plugged in so power isn't an issue.

Regarding #1, I think this puts to bed the hysteria that if you buy a car with CarPlay functionally you're locked in to iOS and have to own an iPhone. Obviously not. Of course CarPlay itself only works with iPhone but that's not surprising. Anyone who thought Apple was going to design a universal car interface doesn't have a clue about Apple's business model. If CarPlay is successful and people like it then it will lead to more iPhone sales. It's about providing a great user experience for current iPhone owners and brining new customers to the platform.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    alfiejr wrote: »
    of course Google will announce its Android knock-off version of CarPlay in a matter of months, if not weeks. and with more apps you might use of course - it's open! except this is a situation where simplicity is essential. what CarPlay apparently is 'missing' is web - not map - "search." e.g., can Siri search wikipedia for factoids in CarPlay? you can be sure Google Voice will. along with ... yes, wait for it ... ads.

you can see CarPlay is just one option of the Nav system. you don't have to use it at all. there are standard BT, media, and map options too. i'm sure that will be true for all car brands.

car makers will have to support every major ecosystem - they want to sell their cars to everyone - and Apple got its foot in the door first. poor MS will have to beg to be included too, after bungling its early Ford opportunity.

why the need for a hard wired connection instead of wifi, like AirPlay, or BT4? it would be nice to just leave the iPhone in your pocket/purse. expect we will learn what the technical issues are ... and the iPad would need a wireless setup more, so maybe that is why it is omitted from V.1.

the test will be how many 2015 brands and models feature CarPlay this fall. Google will have to wait for the 2016 models - real world deployment takes careful preparation - so Apple could get a good jump into this market before Google can turn it into a commodity product.

of course this just integrates your car into your existing Apple ecosystem - more 'stickiness,' more iPhones sold. that's what it's all about for Apple.

It was already announced 2 months ago.

• Reply 16 of 93
    rogifan wrote: »
    Regarding #1, I think this puts to bed the hysteria that if you buy a car with CarPlay functionally you're locked in to iOS and have to own an iPhone. Obviously not. Of course CarPlay itself only works with iPhone but that's not surprising. Anyone who thought Apple was going to design a universal car interface doesn't have a clue about Apple's business model. If CarPlay is successful and people like it then it will lead to more iPhone sales. It's about providing a great user experience for current iPhone owners and brining new customers to the platform.

I don't know why anyone was ever worried about that. Even without any direct evidence I thought it was clear the direction this was going. The same thing for the recent article about a company that was going to use Android to make their in-dash system. This in no way means CarPlay won't be able to overlay on those systems.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was already announced 2 months ago.

yeah i saw that. that was its catch up to Apple's iOS in the Car announcement last year. i mean actual real world operational deployment like this.

• Reply 18 of 93

Is the Star Trek era upon us?

Time will tell.

I didn't get the Mercedes preso!
  • Reply 19 of 93
    alfiejr wrote: »
    yeah i saw that. that was its catch up to Apple's iOS in the Car announcement last year. i mean actual real world operational deployment like this.

No worries. I see no reason why Android users shouldn't have the option, too. It's not like it's a one of the other feature, unless the automaker chooses to go that route. I suppose Apple could require that automakers choose sides but I'm guessing that won't be the case.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shard View Post

I am not sure why the car manufacturers just won't stick an iPad in the car.

It should quite easily replace the existing entertainment system, climate control, navigation system etc.

To keep an iPad in a car all the time is a waste because you can not use it most of the time.

It's better to plug-in your iPhone in any car and allow others to plug-in their iPhones in your car when needed.

Once your iPhone is plugged in, the car essentially becomes your car; even if it is a rental.

Your contacts, your music & media, your messages, Your phone number, your iCloud data all become available.