Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Seconded.

2) I understand that some people just read the headline and not the article before jumping to the comments, but I don't understand why they would get worked up over the headline and then comment specifically on it without reading the article.

Happens all the time here, and you're right it makes no sense for members to comment without knowing what they're commenting on.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

cause 99.99% of the people using touchID have ZERO problems.

he has a defective phone and should return it before its too late.

This is like someone grumbling that he has a flat tire but does nothing about it and continues to drive.  Get it fixed.  Apple accrues millions of dollars for warranty repairs for a reason.

More or less my reaction (returning a defective unit) as the "fade" being addressed doesn't appear to be a failure that occurs within days: that's possibly something else, either hardware or specific personal hygiene: Hey if your hands are either perpetually greasy or totally soiled or cold and wet then the tech just isn't gonna fit... so why not get the hardware checked out or replaced?

• Reply 23 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Steve wouldn't put up with it. Nothing trollish about the reality if that statement.

And who is to say that Tim Cook 'puts up with it'? More likely he doesn't put up with it either, but is also less irrational about the proper way to fix software bugs...something other than stamping feet on the ground and demanding things be fixed.

I work in software. Do you know where that kind of management gets people? No where. Properly managed and scheduled bug fix releases result in better overall releases. One high-authoritity whining about a particular fix and derailing the programming schedule does nothing but slow things down and result in fewer bugs actually getting fixed per release.

• Reply 24 of 49
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

You guys are missing the point entirely. iTunes festival starts next week, and if the app requires 7.1 then that means 7.1 has to be ready before then. Understand?

I do get it - that doesn't mean the formulation below is not misleading as far as the importance of 7.1 is concerned: 

"Apple will reportedly update its iOS application to support live streaming of the concerts from the SXSW festival"

• Reply 25 of 49
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Happens all the time here, and you're right it makes no sense for members to comment without knowing what they're commenting on.

You speak Portuguese, Gatorguy?

• Reply 26 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    I do get it - that doesn't mean the formulation below is not misleading as far as the importance of 7.1 is concerned: 

"Apple will reportedly update its iOS application to support live streaming of the concerts from the SXSW festival"

Fact: The SWSX festival starts next week.

Fact: The iTunes festival app is needed for live streaming from the SXSW festival.

Fact: The iTunes festival app requires iOS 7.1.

Fact: iOS is currently only on 7.0.6.

Deduction: iOS will be updated to iOS 7.1 before the SWSX festival starts next week.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pmz wrote: »
    And who is to say that Tim Cook 'puts up with it'? More likely he doesn't put up with it either, but is also less irrational about the proper way to fix software bugs...something other than stamping feet on the ground and demanding things be fixed.

It's not a bug, it's a major oversight.

You work in software? Woopdi-do.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I heard they were waiting to release iOS 7.1 until the fluctuating price of marble rye stabilizes. Purely rumor though.

"Give me that marble rye you old bag!" —Jerry Seinfeld

• Reply 29 of 49
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member

Unlocking the phone with the keypad has one major flaw, the glowing numbers. They glow long enough for anyone who casually glances over your shoulder to figure it out. I tried it with my 10 yo nephew in law, and no matter how quick I typed, or how devious I was in moving my fingers, the glows always gave it away. This wasn't the case with iOS6... Very annoying. 

• Reply 30 of 49
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Why on earth would the iTunes Festival app require 7.1?  The app has been feature rich for a couple of years now, what could they possibly be adding/changing that would only work with something in 7.1?

• Reply 31 of 49
    I don't see a good reason to require IOS 7.1 in the Festival app, unless they are suddenly adding HEVC support in 7.1, so they can do better video streaming.
    We can see in the recent adoption rates of 7.0.X that Apple doesn't need any user incentives to drag along people to update.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    ireland wrote: »
    Steve wouldn't have put up with it.

Here's how to easily tell if Steve "wouldn't put up with it."

The day you see a hulking form dragging one leg and moving slowly toward the Apple HQ building, you will know something is going on that Steve wouldn't put up with.

God help the fool that did something so stupid to disturb Steve that bad.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    flaneur wrote: »
    C'mon,"Steve wouldn't have put up with it"?

I'm surprised at you, resorting to this empty troll taunt. Be original and blame it on the loss of Scott.

(Four crashes on my iPad mini retina while posting this.)

Ever thought it might be the AI app that causes the crash. Try the iPhone version of the app. I have problems viewing the AI site on the android browser even though it loads OK in the Dolphin browser on my Samsung Tab. Not had any problems with the desktop site on my iPad mini retina.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

I did go to the store and return the phone. The new one has the same problem, called "Touch ID fade" that supposedly 7.1 will fix. I even programmed all 5 slots with the same finger, but it didn't help. After a week or so the ability of iOS 7.0x to recognize a print starts fading away.

• Reply 35 of 49
    ldgreggldgregg Posts: 1member
    The Safari Crash issue is getting a lot of attention in the Forum:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/25066965?ac_cid=tw123456#25066965
  • Reply 36 of 49
    i have to say i can't use the new i tunes and drive it keeps putting me in places i don't want to be mostly the i tunes store . i want to be in my non data download i tunes storage space not streaming from the goddam cloud and making att rich . i hope mr Ives discovers the back button at some point because getting to an app is easy getting out of one is less than obvious
  • Reply 37 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by CoinAPhrase View Post

HEVC support

Doesn’t that require hardware designed to decode it?

• Reply 38 of 49
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member
    Touch ID fade seems to affect the outer tips of the finger. If I use the center part of my thumb, or even slightly below then Touch ID works every time. The weather here tends to go from humid cold to dry cold in just a day, so skin tends to endure some punishment.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Fact: The iTunes festival app is needed for live streaming from the SXSW festival.

Fact: The iTunes festival app requires iOS 7.1.

Deduction: iOS will be updated to iOS 7.1 before the SWSX festival starts next week.

Well, not entirely:

Rumor: The iTunes festival app requires iOS 7.1.

One of the infinite possibilities in the universe: iOS will be updated to iOS 7.1 before the SWSX festival starts next week.

See what I did there?
  • Reply 40 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't see a good reason to require IOS 7.1 in the Festival app, unless they are suddenly adding HEVC support in 7.1, so they can do better video streaming.
    We can see in the recent adoption rates of 7.0.X that Apple doesn't need any user incentives to drag along people to update.
    Who cares if it gets us 7.1 faster. Safari crashes are seriously a pain in the ass and need to be fixed, like yesterday.