Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Well, not entirely:

Fact: The SWSX festival starts next week.

Fact: The iTunes festival app is needed for live streaming from the SXSW festival.

Rumor: The iTunes festival app requires iOS 7.1.

Fact: iOS is currently only on 7.0.6.

One of the infinite possibilities in the universe: iOS will be updated to iOS 7.1 before the SWSX festival starts next week.

See what I did there?

The actual number of possibilities  pertinent to this discussion are two:

1) iOs updates to 7.1 before SWSX

2) iOS doesn’t update to 7.1 before SWSX.

There is a 100% chance that iOS will update to iOs 7.1 at some stage, as it is in Beta.

March would historically be a fairly long time, for a point update, since the release of iOS 7.0.

Then there is the insider reputation of John Gruber, which is fairly considerable. So given the binary possibilities I would say it is a good deal higher than 50% that there will be a release at or before SWSX.

QED

• Reply 42 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hagar wrote: »
    Well, not entirely:

Fact: The SWSX festival starts next week.

Fact: The iTunes festival app is needed for live streaming from the SXSW festival.

Rumor: The iTunes festival app requires iOS 7.1.

Fact: iOS is currently only on 7.0.6.

One of the infinite possibilities in the universe: iOS will be updated to iOS 7.1 before the SWSX festival starts next week.

See what I did there?

You are correct, regarding iTunes festival requires 7.1. I did consider that in my post but opted for brevity.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    asdasd wrote: »
    The actual number of possibilities  pertinent to this discussion are two:

1) iOs updates to 7.1 before SWSX

2) iOS doesn’t update to 7.1 before SWSX.

There is a 100% chance that iOS will update to iOs 7.1 at some stage, as it is in Beta.

March would historically be a fairly long time, for a point update, since the release of iOS 7.0.

Then there is the insider reputation of John Gruber, which is fairly considerable. So given the binary possibilities I would say it is a good deal higher than 50% that there will be a release at or before SWSX.

QED

Just two possibilities? Not quite.

Apple could jump straight to 7.1.1.

They could update to 7.1, then quickly to 7.1.1.

They could bypass both and update to 7.1.2.

They could update to 7.1, then quickly pull it.

Just for starters.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Just for starters.

His comment comes down to they either will or won't update iOS before SXSW starts.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    solipsismx wrote: »
    His comment comes down to they either will or won't update iOS before SXSW starts.

Yeah, I know; just felt like being a pedantic arse.
  • Reply 46 of 49

Just for starters.

No they won't do any of that (except possibly update from 7.1 quickly which would still be part of my binary options). If they are sitting on a showstopper in 7.1 they will fix that before release - releasing a 7.1.1 instead of 7.1 makes no sense because they can just rev the beta versions of 7.1. Which is what they are doing.

So yes I said there were two options, not an infinite amount. I also said, given Grubers record, it's probably more than 50-50 that there will be a release next week. Or this.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No they won't do any of that (except possibly update from 7.1 quickly which would still be part of my binary options). If they are sitting on a showstopper in 7.1 they will fix that before release - releasing a 7.1.1 instead of 7.1 makes no sense because they can just rev the beta versions of 7.1. Which is what they are doing.

So yes I said there were two options, not an infinite amount. I also said, given Grubers record, it's probably more than 50-50 that there will be a release next week. Or this.

Hey, I'm just being pedantic. Of course, it's highly likely that Apple will go with one of the two options you stated; just not actually 100%.

• Reply 48 of 49
    Hey, I'm just being pedantic. Of course, it's highly likely that Apple will go with one of the two options you stated; just not actually 100%.

Fair enough. Anyway it's looking good, so let's hope it's soon enough.