Rumor: Apple to phase out last non-Retina MacBooks with CD/DVD drive this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I could see them scrapping the 11" and 13" Air for a single 12". If they make it a Retina model, that would be interesting but to maintain the price, I'd guess it will be a TN panel. I'd like to see it with a black bezel and laminated glass but that might add to the weight. 15" option would be good too.

The 'Air' moniker is a bit redundant now so maybe they'll go with Retina Macbook next.

Moving the MBA to a single, 12" model makes a lot of sense to me, but I would think they would also finally move it to Retina and IPS.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Leave the optical drive at home! But if you do need it on the go, Apple's external is tiny. For that rare need, it's doable.

I would like to see Kensington slots return--they have their uses.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I would like at least 1TB of HD storage. That will cost me $3K in a current gen MBP 15. I needs to be <$2K. Errr..
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Great. May be this indicates the phase out of MBA nonRetina and introduces the MBA retina in H2 2014
  • Reply 25 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    macboy pro wrote: »
    Its all about the upgradeability.  I believe most could not care less about the SuperDrive being built it. 
    This is true, Optical drives just aren't a big deal anymore for the majority of users.
    I would be all over a Macbook Pro retina if I could service basic parts like the RAM and Drive.   
    You can service the drive, the SSD just plugs in. For RAM you are trading reliability for upgradeability. Frankly my experience with laptops is to favor reliability in the design.
    If you are a person that needs 1TB of storage, the Macbook Pro retina is unaffordable for most people.    A 1TB 7200RPM for the non-retina runs about $80.   A 1.5TB 5400RPM for the non-retina runs about $120.        And the argument of external storage is laughable.  Why would I want a 3mm thinner laptop just so I could carry around a portable drive?  NO! 
    Realistically if you need an external drive most likely you will never have a suitable internal drive. We are talking about laptops here, but I've yet to see a shipping laptop drive that is big enough. In the end you have to rely upon external storage.

I will give you this though, I do believe Apple made a mistake in not supplying the 15" MBP with an additional SSD slot. Even with two slots getting enough space wouldn't be cost effective but even a little bit of additional fast storage can go a long ways.

A 16GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro can run you less than $1400.   The cheapest 13" retina model with 16GB (soldered) RAM and 1TB SSD is $2499 + TAX
    A 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro can run you less than $1800.    Either way, you save a TON of money.  
    We will see what happens with the new hardware this year. I believe Apple learned its lesson early in 2013 with excessively high prices. I can see them becoming more aggressive with the 2014 round of updates. Especially considering that Intel is rumored to be behind the eight ball delivering new tech.
    Apple can produce a retina Macbook Pro that is upgradeable but 2-3mm thicker.   EASY!!     Financially for Apple, they prefer your system have little resale value, require THEIR overprices "Geniuses" have to repair it, and force the system to obsolescence earlier and earlier.
    Except for the fact that nothing you stated above is true. Apples hardware continues to maintain resale value, you aren't required to have Apple repair anything, and system obsolescence with Apple hardware is no where near as bad as it is in the rest of the PC industry.
    Its a money grab and/or its Apple designers with a one track mind.  
    It is about Apple meeting consumer needs. If they didn't do that their sales would suffer and this sight might turn into Linuxinsider.
    Make it thinner at any cost of usefulness.
    VERY VERY Frustrated with Apple.
    You are looking very silly here. The simple fact that Apple is having great success with the laptop line invalidates your position. You need to look towards the future not the past.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Its about time.  Nobody needs CD players anymore.  i'm glad Apple is going to get rid of them.

I need one...use it a lot actually at work. 

• Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why not work somewhere that isn’t staffed by kleptomaniacs?

Why not just not respond unless you have something useful to add instead of sounding like an asshole every time you post. 

• Reply 28 of 61
    Be careful with trying imagine that 'everyone's wants' are required to be met.

Be careful assuming Apple is trying to be all things to all people.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    schlack wrote: »
    I would like at least 1TB of HD storage. That will cost me $3K in a current gen MBP 15. I needs to be <$2K. Errr..

Yeah, and yet they still sell the iPod Classic.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Why not just not respond unless you have something useful to add instead of sounding like an asshole every time you post. 

Yeah, I’m sure it’s not psychotic to continue working somewhere you can’t leave your possessions alone for two minutes¡ Keep living that dream.

• Reply 31 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I don't give a damn about the optical drive, but it'd be nice to see a workhorse non-Retina Macbook in the middle, that's a little bit thicker and heavier, but comes with mega battery life.  Retina is great, but performance and battery is better.

• Reply 32 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I’m sure it’s not psychotic to continue working somewhere you can’t leave your possessions alone for two minutes¡ Keep living that dream.

I'm not sure there's anywhere short of a private home office where I'd feel comfortable just leaving a £1,000+ easily baggable machine on display.  I'm sure it'd be fine 99.9% of the time, but it only takes one 0.1% to have your day ruined.

Plus, as someone else mentioned, it's not just workplaces; laptops get taken everywhere and a Kensington lock is a nice and flexible bit of added (not infallible, but nothing is) security.

• Reply 33 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Its all about the upgradeability.  I believe most could not care less about the SuperDrive being built it. 

I would be all over a Macbook Pro retina if I could service basic parts like the RAM and Drive.   

If you are a person that needs 1TB of storage, the Macbook Pro retina is unaffordable for most people.    A 1TB 7200RPM for the non-retina runs about $80.   A 1.5TB 5400RPM for the non-retina runs about $120.        And the argument of external storage is laughable.  Why would I want a 3mm thinner laptop just so I could carry around a portable drive?  NO! 

A 16GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro can run you less than $1400.   The cheapest 13" retina model with 16GB (soldered) RAM and 1TB SSD is $2499 + TAX

A 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro can run you less than $1800.    Either way, you save a TON of money.  

Apple can produce a retina Macbook Pro that is upgradeable but 2-3mm thicker.   EASY!!     Financially for Apple, they prefer your system have little resale value, require THEIR overprices "Geniuses" have to repair it, and force the system to obsolescence earlier and earlier.

Its a money grab and/or its Apple designers with a one track mind.  Make it thinner at any cost of usefulness.

VERY VERY Frustrated with Apple.

You are in an ever-dwindling minority.  I "used" to be in that same group of wanting a serviceable machine.  It got old.  The reality (for me and many others) is that by the time it comes to service or upgrade something, the tech has become rather old that it just made sense to go with a more modern machine.  Sure, there are people that will spin that to say Apple is just locking you into an upgrade cycle every couple years but I was doing that with non-Apple machines too.

Whether you like it or not, Apple will not (nor should they) cater to the < 1% of folks that want a fully serviceable machine.  It does not make financial sense.  Apple's laptops are rock-solid reliable nowadays and with everything going solid-state, it will become even more reliable.

So if it means you have to spend an extra 30 minutes to crack open a laptop to replace a hard drive that - realistically - you'll only remove/replace every couple years... well cry me a river.

Thinner, lighter, reliable... I'll take any day, and the market obviously reflects that.

• Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'm not sure there's anywhere short of a private home office where I'd feel comfortable just leaving a £1,000+ easily baggable machine on display.  I'm sure it'd be fine 99.9% of the time, but it only takes one 0.1% to have your day ruined.

Plus, as someone else mentioned, it's not just workplaces; laptops get taken everywhere and a Kensington lock is a nice and flexible bit of added (not infallible, but nothing is) security.

Now now...don't overload him with useful information. He might have something negative to say...oh wait!

• Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

About Tim.

e

• Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: Does anyone else find it weird we ask strangers or are asked by strangers to watch their stuff? I always say sure but at the same time I don't want the pseudo-responsibility and I'm sure if a different person walked up and said "thanks" most of the time I wouldn't know it was a different person.

I’ll remember not to ask you to look after my stuff. ;)

When we ask someone to look after our stuff, we have already made lots of decisions about that person and how trustworthy we think they are.

• Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It's a shame they don't keep it around and throw in a fusion drive, I think it'd be a compelling buy that way for a lot of people.

I'd consider one with a 3TB Fusion drive. Nothing less.

• Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

The world would be a very dull place if you could only add something useful. I, for one, found TS's post very funny.

• Reply 39 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    When we ask someone to look after our stuff, we have already made lots of decisions about that person and how trustworthy we think they are.

Sure. We already know they aren't likely to be able to leave quickly if they have their stuff out and in my case they see I have a nicer computer than there and, of course, a wealthy big penis.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That’s no way to live. How could you get any job satisfaction surrounded by sociopaths? How could you feel safe in any situation like that, and why would you continue on that path if it was the case?

There’s a reason people move out of unsafe neighborhoods, you know. Sounds like the same situation.

Now now...don't overload him with useful information. He might have something negative to say...oh wait!

You know, when YOU don’t have an argument, it’s pretty pathetic to just glom onto anything you think is contrary to what you feel is right. Like a “little kid in the gang smiles from behind the roughhouser” vibe.