Rumor: Apple to phase out last non-Retina MacBooks with CD/DVD drive this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s no way to live. How could you get any job satisfaction surrounded by sociopaths? How could you feel safe in any situation like that, and why would you continue on that path if it was the case?

There’s a reason people move out of unsafe neighborhoods, you know. Sounds like the same situation.

That's a monumental leap to go from reasonable caution to a judgement of everyone else as sociopaths.  I don't think of anyone I work with as a sociopath, but I also work in a building of a hundred people, and I don't know all of them that well.   Plus, we have visitors to our office who I can't account for.  It's no great skin off my nose, as part of my normal docking ritual, to attach a Kensington lock.  If I were to use my own personal Macbook, I'd be doubly inclined to do so, and I'd do it whatever the neighbourhood.  As I said, more than 99.9% of the time it's fine, but that counts for squat on the 0.1% day.

I'm happy for you that you live in such an idyllic place that you never bother locking your doors, and tell your children it's ok to take candy from strangers, because they're bound to be nice people.

• Reply 42 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Thats a monumental leap

Two minutes. You can’t leave a possession at your own desk for two minutes? What’s a better word than sociopath, then? I know it’s not 100% accurate; the people involved are obviously not anti-social for this to be happening, but they certainly don’t seem to have any sense of morality.

I’m not against the Kensington lock! Heck, I’m as bemused as anyone why it was removed. But that’s not even the issue here! I’d have nothing but white hair if I had to work in a place like that.

• Reply 43 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    PS: Does anyone else find it weird we ask strangers or are asked by strangers to watch their stuff? I always say sure but at the same time I don't want the pseudo-responsibility and I'm sure if a different person walked up and said "thanks" most of the time I wouldn't know it was a different person.
    Be careful with absolutes.

You obviously don't pay attention to details, and Larry David just doesn't care, and is way too trusting.
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

Two minutes. You can’t leave a possession at your own desk for two minutes? What’s a better word than sociopath, then? I know it’s not 100% accurate; the people involved are obviously not anti-social for this to be happening, but they certainly don’t seem to have any sense of morality.

Except that they haven't done anything.  I'm not locking it up from a horde of people I know to be sociopaths, I've taking a minimal-effort precaution against the possibility of one person being an opportunistic thief.  

I never mentioned two minutes, and the time period isn't particularly relevant anyway.  Only takes a few seconds to swipe a laptop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m not against the Kensington lock! Heck, I’m as bemused as anyone why it was removed. But that’s not even the issue here! I’d have nothing but white hair if I had to work in a place like that.

A place like what?  A place with other people?  I'm not judging my colleagues or visitors at all, just taking a sensible precaution,which I'd take irrespective of who else is around.  In addition, as I've said more than once, it's not any trouble to do, and certainly not when compared with the mega hassle of having a laptop stolen.

You seem to be envisaging some nightmarish scenario where everyone is constantly watching their backs from grasping hands, in reality it's just a pretty regular office in a pretty regular area with pretty regular visitors and a pretty regular approach to data security.

• Reply 45 of 61
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Cool it! He has a point. Prior to purchasing my 2013 RMBP I would use my Kensington lock to secure my 2010 MBP to the table at coffee shops where I like to study. One could probably have removed it from around the base of the table if they tried but it would have been clumsy and obvious, and taken more time than it took me to use the bathroom. Now I don't have that option so instead of packing everything up for a pee break I simply trust those around me.

PS: Does anyone else find it weird we ask strangers or are asked by strangers to watch their stuff? I always say sure but at the same time I don't want the pseudo-responsibility and I'm sure if a different person walked up and said "thanks" most of the time I wouldn't know it was a different person.
    Be careful with absolutes.

So you're one of the folks that plants themselves for hours so us coffee buyers can't sit and yet you're complaining?
  • Reply 46 of 61
    bernzbernz Posts: 5member
    Why not work somewhere that isn’t staffed by kleptomaniacs?

Well, the reality is that I'm a consultant and I work with my MBP at multiple locations. So I have a nice cubicle in the middle of nowhere to work, and yes, my MBP is tempting in the ocean of pathetic HP plastic laptops. I have to connect to VPNs to work and just closing the lid would disconnect the VPN and would require me to reconnect with my SecurID... Painful simply to go pee...

Just because I can't leave my MBP with my screen locked and attached with a security cable.

Who does Apple expects buys 2000$-3000$ MBP? Only executives with closed offices?? Come on. Students, consultants, staff in offices, name them. So the MBPs lie around on desks without protection and nobody steals them?... Quite an idealistic scenario seen through magical glasses.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    So you're one of the folks that plants them themselves for hours so us coffee buyers can't sit and yet you're complaining?

1) Why can't you sit?

2) Why would you assume I would go to a place that primarily sells coffee and not be a coffee "buyer"?

3) Why is when you sit to drink coffee it's fine but when I do it it's not only an affront to your sensibilities but that I must be sitting for hours?

4) You do know that caffeine is a diuretic, right?

5) Where exactly did I complain.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

I just want the 17" to come back.

Not gonna happen. Ever. Stop wishing for shit that won't happen. Life's too short. 

Quote:

Why not work somewhere that isn’t staffed by kleptomaniacs?

What a dense comment. What about campuses? Should I interview all 20,000 people that frequent it to make sure every single one of them is a character of the utmost morality? What about when I'm in the library, and I need to leave for a few min to take a phone call, to print something, to go to the washroom, etc? Does it not make sense in those situations to be able to lock it, instead of hauling it around everytime I need to step away, or being nervous when I do? What about coffee shops, when people walk in and out all the time, and I need to step away to go to the washroom? Can you not imagine millions of scenarios where a kensington lock might be useful? I've never demanded one, but at least TRY to imagine how its useful. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I need one...use it a lot actually at work. 

So Apple, should base their decisions around *you*? Where exactly do you work, and what do you do, in that an optical drive requires "alot" of usage? I'm curious, as I'm certain there's about 16,032 more efficient solutions out there for whatever you're doing with CDs. You seem to bemoan every single piece of technology that has been discontinued- maybe try to look forward, and improve how you do things, instead of clinging to the past all the time? I'm sure there's someone out there that wants every single port known to man on a laptop, does not mean Apple should include them. I'm a designer, work with like 100 files types, have about 80 clients, create and edit thousands of files, and not once have I needed a CD drive in the past couple years. 

• Reply 49 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So Apple, should base their decisions around *you*? Where exactly do you work, and what do you do, in that an optical drive requires "alot" of usage? I'm curious, as I'm certain there's about 16,032 more efficient solutions out there for whatever you're doing with CDs. You seem to bemoan every single piece of technology that has been discontinued- maybe try to look forward, and improve how you do things, instead of clinging to the past all the time? I'm sure there's someone out there that wants every single port known to man on a laptop, does not mean Apple should include them. I'm a designer, work with like 100 files types, have about 80 clients, create and edit thousands of files, and not once have I needed a CD drive in the past couple years. 

I never said Apple should make something for me. I work in IT and mange both Macs and PC's (Primarily Macs). Yes, the Mac side doesn't require CDs and DVD's, while the PC side does. Also, there are still pieces of software that ship on CD's and DVDs. 

I don't bemoan anything. Show me where I do this, or did you just pull this out of your ass like the rest of the post with no meaningful facts. 

Well good for you in not needing to use a CD drive. Different professions require different tools. 

• Reply 50 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I never said Apple should make something for me. I work in IT and mange both Macs and PC's (Primarily Macs). Yes, the Mac side doesn't require CDs and DVD's, while the PC side does. Also, there are still pieces of software that ship on CD's and DVDs. 

I don't bemoan anything. Show me where I do this, or did you just pull this out of your ass like the rest of the post with no meaningful facts. 

Well good for you in not needing to use a CD drive. Different professions require different tools.

How many of those devices require an ODD on the device? If you have new SW from a CD or DVD Apple makes it very easy to create a DMG you can then load onto a network drive and mount for any install as you see fit. Have you considered that method instead of wanting an ODD on every machine?
  • Reply 51 of 61
    macboy pro wrote: »
    Its all about the upgradeability.  I believe most could not care less about the SuperDrive being built it. 
    I would be all over a Macbook Pro retina if I could service basic parts like the RAM and Drive.   
    If you are a person that needs 1TB of storage, the Macbook Pro retina is unaffordable for most people.    A 1TB 7200RPM for the non-retina runs about $80.   A 1.5TB 5400RPM for the non-retina runs about $120.        And the argument of external storage is laughable.  Why would I want a 3mm thinner laptop just so I could carry around a portable drive?  NO! 

A 16GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro can run you less than $1400.   The cheapest 13" retina model with 16GB (soldered) RAM and 1TB SSD is $2499 + TAX
    A 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro can run you less than $1800.    Either way, you save a TON of money.  
    Apple can produce a retina Macbook Pro that is upgradeable but 2-3mm thicker.   EASY!!     Financially for Apple, they prefer your system have little resale value, require THEIR overprices "Geniuses" have to repair it, and force the system to obsolescence earlier and earlier.
    Its a money grab and/or its Apple designers with a one track mind.  Make it thinner at any cost of usefulness.
    VERY VERY Frustrated with Apple.

So don't buy it. That's the choice you get to make as a consumer. It really is that simple.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Not having access to the RAM is not that big of a deal, you just have to remember to max it out when you first buy the thing. And since the max on a MBP is only 16GB, and that doesn't cost much these days, you might as well just do it.

• Reply 53 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Bernz View Post

Who does Apple expects buys 2000$-3000$ MBP? Only executives with closed offices?? Come on. Students, consultants, staff in offices, name them. So the MBPs lie around on desks without protection and nobody steals them?... Quite an idealistic scenario seen through magical glasses.

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What about campuses?

So… where are the stats on computer thefts that show a marked increase in MacBook family thefts since June 2012 when Apple removed the Kensington lock?

Hmm?

• Reply 54 of 61
    andy-ukandy-uk Posts: 26member
    'Its all about the upgradeability. I believe most could not care less about the SuperDrive being built it.
    I would be all over a Macbook Pro retina if I could service basic parts like the RAM and Drive.'

Exactly. I can live without the IR remote and use my iPod Touch instead, I can cope without Firewire and get a connector and I can buy an external optical drive if necessary but to pay so much more and give up so much AND lose the option to extend the life of my computer by upgrading it is really bad news.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    andy-uk wrote: »
    to pay so much more and give up so much AND lose the option to extend the life of my computer by upgrading it is really bad news.

You wouldn't be able to upgrade it past 16GB of RAM. They are switching to DDR4. As for the SSD, it can be removed, the only downside is you'd be limited to buying one off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Samsung-1TB-SSD-for-MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-late-2013-Models-only-/291093970056

although you might be able to buy them from Apple eventually. It would probably be a good idea for Apple to put them in their store for sale.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:

So… where are the stats on computer thefts that show a marked increase in MacBook family thefts since June 2012 when Apple removed the Kensington lock?

Hmm?

Wouldn't be a useful stat to an individual buyer even if it was available.

What you want is a comparison between the number of Macbook thefts when they were secured with a Kensington lock compared to number of rRMP thefts where the user would have used a Kensington lock if possible.

Obviously that stat also isn't available.

• Reply 57 of 61
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Hmm?

They could be an effective means of protection if not terribly common. If most people don't use them, thieves aren't likely to bring tools for the occasion. They can just look for an easier target. As always anti-theft devices are primarily about deterrence. If it's feasible to circumvent them and they are too common, they're ineffective.

• Reply 58 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

What condescending comments about the optical drives here! I am looking into the future, I am glad that Apple also does and it shows, so dropping the optical drive is not of importance to me personally. But saying that no one needs optical drives today is way off reality. There is a huge legacy of content, and still much distribution, in optical disks; you cannot just forget about it. The obvious solution is an external optical drive. Fortunately, it is available and I hope it stays.

• Reply 59 of 61
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Still people use them to view movies.They are not ineffective like you always state with some sort of negativity.

• Reply 60 of 61
    deepen03deepen03 Posts: 101member

So.. July 2015 and it still lives SMH.

3rd Gen Intel from 2012

Body from 2010

Price of 2015

There is no other PC OEM selling a nearly 4 year old laptop at current market prices. It's time for it to go away Apple! Retina or nothing at this point!