Roundup: Video of Apple's CarPlay in action with Mercedes, Volvo, & Ferrari

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
With CarPlay's official launch ceremonies in the rear view mirror, the floor of the Geneva Motor Show is now abuzz with hands-on demonstrations that reveal more details of the system's design and flexibility.

CarPlay

Each of Apple's three launch partners has chosen a slightly different implementation in terms of hardware and control schemes, though CarPlay's core concepts remain the same throughout. Each CarPlay-enabled app mirrors the functionality of its iPhone counterpart, but with a slightly different format that generally means larger typefaces and a darker overall color scheme.

There are some minor differences: Maps, for instance, launches into turn-by-turn direction mode immediately when a destination is selected, and a hardware home button is nowhere to be found despite its presence in Apple's marketing materials. In addition, a special manufacturer-specific app icon returns users to the vehicle's regular infotainment system when pressed.

Notably, all of the demonstrations focus on interacting with the system via Siri, a sign that Apple believes voice control is the way forward.

Volvo

Swedish automaker Volvo has chosen its futuristic Concept Estate showcar to put Apple's new infotainment option on display. The system runs on a large, portrait-oriented touchscreen embedded into the center of the car's dashboard.

Approximately one-third of the touchscreen's display area is give over to CarPlay. The rest is dedicated to vehicle controls -- like ventilation -- that surround and in some cases temporarily overlap CarPlay's display.

Touch appears to be the only input method allowed outside of the dedicated steering wheel-mounted Siri button that every CarPlay-equipped vehicle will ship with. Users can scroll through lists and pan around maps with iOS's familiar swiping motion.

Ferrari

Ferrari's CarPlay implementation, shown off in the latest model of the marque's FF grand tourer, runs on a smaller display than its Volvo counterpart. The landscape touchscreen appears to be resistive, rather than capacitive, and sports a dedicated hardware button that switches users from Ferrari's own user interface to CarPlay.

Though Ferrari relies on touch for most interaction, the Italian marque differs from its Swedish counterpart in that it provides specific touchable areas -- marked with arrows -- for moving through paginated content, like lists, rather than swipe-style scrolling. There is no word on why Ferrari chose to go this route, but it could be due to the display technology used in the FF.

Mercedes-Benz

In contrast to the touch-based preferences of Volvo and Ferrari, Mercedes continues to prefer hardware controls. Most interaction is carried out using a rotary knob in the vehicle's center console, while the display is mounted higher up on the dashboard, just below the driver's line of sight.

Like Ferrari, Mercedes allows CarPlay to take over the entire display but does not provide a button to switch contexts. Rather, CarPlay automatically launches as soon as an iPhone is plugged in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not sure why Volvo is referred to as the Swedish car maker, when it is owned by a Chinese company.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

The Mercedes video in German is very cool...  Siri speaks very smoothly...

I'd like to hear a demo in French or Spanish. ;)

• Reply 3 of 49
    I guess that it's because that is were it started(?)

I really don't understand the resistive touch on the ferrari.
    What would be the benefits of it?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »
    Not sure why Volvo is referred to as the Swedish car maker, when it is owned by a Chinese company.

It's still very much Swedish. Their history is clearly Swedish, their CEO is still Swedish, they are still headquartered in Sweden, and they are still traded publicly in Sweden. I think it would more disingenuosus to call them a Chinese car maker when by all accounts they are simply now owned by a Chinese company, just like it would be disinegenuous to claim that owning a Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep means you own an Italian car.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    can't believe that the FF went with a resistive touch screen...what a weak choice for such an awesome car. and holy crap their in house solution looks like a mess, which is esp obvious when transitioning between iOS.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

can't believe that the FF went with a resistive touch screen...what a weak choice for such an awesome car. and holy crap their in house solution looks like a mess, which is esp obvious when transitioning between iOS.

As I was watching that (and noting that it's resistive touch) I couldn't help thinking "Steve wouldn't have let them do this."  I just believe that Jobs would have taken this up the line to convince the big wigs that Ferrari that this was a bad choice, perhaps with some colorful language.

• Reply 7 of 49
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member

I actually agree with John Gruber's assessment of the state of Car Play today:

But is CarPlay the iPhone in 2007, or the Rokr in 2005? From what I’ve seen today:

I'm afraid that the manufacturers have too much control of the implementation. Maybe they should've let Jonny and team design the whole thing.

• Reply 8 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Although the function and feature list is impressive, after watching the video, I would worry about driver distraction. Even if it is just the passenger interacting with the screen, it would be a tremendous temptation for the driver to look down at the screen. There is certainly a lot going on for a driver to use this safely. I like the Mercedes implementation a lot better then the Volvo one. As obnoxiously large as the monitor is, at least it is in the right place, more in the line of sight for driving and the control knob is more appropriate from an ergonomic perspective as well.

• Reply 9 of 49
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    The FF experience seems to be crippled a bit. The real question, how will this hamper the overall user experience?
  • Reply 10 of 49
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I'm glad there's some commonality. See my comment #52 at

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/162305/apple-announces-ios-powered-carplay-infotainment-system-to-roll-out-later-this-year/40

At least for most makes. Looks like Mercedes hasn't yet caught on. Drivers should use steering wheel controls and audio so they're not looking away from the road. I don't want a big-assed Mercedes SUV coming toward me on a two-lane road while the driver is looking down and twiddling his knob (so to speak)!
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I don't want a big-assed Mercedes SUV coming toward me on a two-lane road while the driver is looking down and twiddling his knob

That is not how it works. Exactly the opposite. You turn the knob by feel and it toggles through the menus on screen. You never have to look at the knob.

• Reply 12 of 49
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

Agree. The thing that struck me is how different each experience is to control the UI. One is a direct capacitive touch screen, the other the nasty resistive screen, and the third some kind of iPod VCR jog dial thingy. Maybe Apple just wanted to get their name into these cars, but it seems all kind of hobbled a bit to me.

• Reply 13 of 49
    mstone wrote: »
    That is not how it works. Exactly the opposite. You turn the knob by feel and it toggles through the menus on screen. You never have to look at the knob.

Okay, feel your knob all you want! :D

But you're still taking your eyes off the road to look at the screen!
  • Reply 14 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Wow, the Volvo employs a capacitive screen, but the Ferrari doesn't?

• Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Okay, feel your knob all you want! image

But you're still taking your eyes off the road to look at the screen!

Couldn't agree more. Clearly the reason Mercedes put the screen up so high is to eliminate the need to look down. Still distracting, which is why I am generally opposed to the concept in principle, although, turn by turn voice and on screen mapping can actually improve safety because if you are in an unfamiliar area, you are not frantically looking for street signs or address numbers, but, just letting the nav system take you to your destination.

• Reply 16 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Agree. The thing that struck me is how different each experience is to control the UI. One is a direct capacitive touch screen, the other the nasty resistive screen, and the third some kind of iPod VCR jog dial thingy. Maybe Apple just wanted to get their name into these cars, but it seems all kind of hobbled a bit to me.

No, they didn't want to simply get their names into these cars. They realised the car manufactures wouldn't give them full control, but wanted to give iPhone owners at least some kind of solution to benefiting from owning an iPhone and using it in their car.

• Reply 17 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    malax wrote: »
    As I was watching that (and noting that it's resistive touch) I couldn't help thinking "Steve wouldn't have let them do this."  I just believe that Jobs would have taken this up the line to convince the big wigs that Ferrari that this was a bad choice, perhaps with some colorful language.
    I think we overstate the power Steve had. I hear the same thing about TV - if Steve was around Apple TV would have ala carte programming options and we'd all be able to cut the cord. Do people really think the current management team at Apple is willing to settle for things that Steve wouldn't have?
  • Reply 18 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    No, they didn't want to simply get their names into these cars. They realised the car manufactures wouldn't give them full control, but wanted to give iPhone owners at least some kind of solution to benefiting from owning an iPhone and using it in their car.
    The Apple representative said they wanted to make sure it worked with both touch and dials. I'm guessing the Mercedes will allow for both options.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member

I find it interesting and somewhat absurd that lawmakers are doing whatever they can to discourage distracted driving and car makers are doing everything they can to add more features that will distract you.

• Reply 20 of 49
    larz2112 wrote: »
    I find it interesting and somewhat absurd that lawmakers are doing whatever they can to discourage distracted driving and car makers are doing everything they can to add more features that will distract you.

It's a very high-profile debate for sure. We'll be hearing a lot more about this because it's still a long way until some sensible solutions can be reached. A very high-stakes game for many players.