Apple releases iOS 7-styled iTunes Festival app update, does not require iOS 7.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple on Thursday released the latest version of its iTunes Festival app, which some insiders said would be the harbinger of iOS 7.1, though it appears the app only requires iOS 7 to run.

iTunes Festival

The new iTunes Festival app boasts an updated iOS 7 aesthetic, streaming video support and other refinements ahead of the upcoming SXSW conference. It was previously rumored the app would require iOS 7.1 to function, though it appears not be the case.

On Tuesday, the well-connected John Gruber of Daring Fireball heard from "little birdie" that the now-released iTunes Festival app would require iOS 7.1, the expected update to Apple's mobile operating system. Putting the pieces together -- SXSW starts on Friday -- Gruber opined that iOS 7.1 would see release "any day now."

According to the Apple-defined system requirements for iTunes Festival, only iOS 7.0 is needed to run the new app version.

As for the app itself, the title brings a "flat" iOS 7-style redesign, the ability to stream video of live concert performances and view photos of the event.

iTunes Festival version 5.0 is a free 28.2MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Seems like the "logic" used in the other thread didn't really apply, huh? ;)

• Reply 2 of 22
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    brlawyer wrote: »

Well, Gruber's sources are usually pretty good so the thought process at the time seemed logical.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Well at least Apple addressed the more critical out of the two... :rolleyes:

• Reply 4 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And surprise, surprise, Mark Gurman of 9to5Mac retweets someone criticizing the app design (I actually think it's quite nice). My guess is he hasn't even spent 2 minutes in the app before retweeting that. I don't know what the deal is with 9to5Mac but lately they're almost 100% anti Apple. They ran a story this morning talking about CarPlay getting "mixed reviews" when it isn't even out yet for anyone to review! And Gurman actually tweeted that last years Google I/O was more fun than WWDC. The same Google I/O that had a three hour keynote putting everyone to sleep. Seriously that's one of my least favorite Apple sites these days.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Quote:

On Tuesday, the well-connected John Gruber of Daring Fireball heard from "little birdie" that the now-released iTunes Festival app would require iOS 7.1, the expected update to Apple's mobile operating system.

Either he isn't well connected at all or little birdie just made these up! Buggers! 

• Reply 6 of 22
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

SXSW has become like another MacWorld.   Really not worth a special app, or Apple spending time and money on it.

• Reply 7 of 22
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    But but, the birdie and the thingy and the...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

SXSW has become like another MacWorld.   Really not worth a special app, or Apple spending time and money on it.

:???:

Apple don't make an app for SXSW.  This is an app for iTunes Festival, which is going on at SXSW.

• Reply 9 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Little birdie goes tweet.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    brlawyer wrote: »

Gruber sources are usually accurate but it should have been worded "If a fact that it requires IOS 7.1, then…". It also should have been noted that even if it was built with 7.1 in mind it would probably be a simple task to instead make it work with 7.0.6, if 7.1 was yet ready to launch.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Gruber sources are usually accurate but it should have been worded "If a fact that it requires IOS 7.1, then…". It also should have been noted that even if it was built with 7.1 in mind it would probably be a simple task to instead make it work with 7.0.6, if 7.1 was yet ready to launch.

The version I had on my iPad automagically updated to the new coloured icon and now says Texas not London.

Most of the performances will be mid afternoon, my local time.

• Reply 12 of 22
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And surprise, surprise, Mark Gurman of 9to5Mac retweets someone criticizing the app design (I actually think it's quite nice). My guess is he hasn't even spent 2 minutes in the app before retweeting that. I don't know what the deal is with 9to5Mac but lately they're almost 100% anti Apple. They ran a story this morning talking about CarPlay getting "mixed reviews" when it isn't even out yet for anyone to review! And Gurman actually tweeted that last years Google I/O was more fun than WWDC. The same Google I/O that had a three hour keynote putting everyone to sleep. Seriously that's one of my least favorite Apple sites these days.

I agree with you. Gurman has been seemingly on the against Apple side. Well nothing lasts I guess. He can go over to 9to5 Google. To each his own. I hardly look at that particular Mac site now myself.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    helia wrote: »
    Either he isn't well connected at all or little birdie just made these up! Buggers! 
    Or maybe Apple ran into a snag with the AppStore thing. You try redesigning the store and see how long it takes you. Things happen, lighten up. At least they come out with software updates... Argh.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    ceek74 wrote: »
    But but, the birdie and the thingy and the...
    They probably ran into a snag!!!! You try it! The source is probably reliable. Remember, Apple thought they'd be done with the AppStore by now. They had iOS 7.1 almost ready, and the app completely ready... So then they realized the AppStore wasn't ready yet. Not a big deal. Everyone makes mistakes.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Well, Gruber's sources are usually pretty good so the thought process at the time seemed logical.

Or, his source has now been compromised.  Dun dun dun!

• Reply 16 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    inosey wrote: »
    They probably ran into a snag!!!! You try it! The source is probably reliable. Remember, Apple thought they'd be done with the AppStore by now. They had iOS 7.1 almost ready, and the app completely ready... So then they realized the AppStore wasn't ready yet. Not a big deal. Everyone makes mistakes.

Exactly, 'cause Gruber can't possible make a mistake. I'm gonna tweet this from my iCanvas.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gilly33 wrote: »
    I agree with you. Gurman has been seemingly on the against Apple side. Well nothing lasts I guess. He can go over to 9to5 Google. To each his own. I hardly look at that particular Mac site now myself.
    They already do write for 9to5Google. I wish they'd stay there! The guys over at imore.com are so much better.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    ireland wrote: »
    Exactly, 'cause Gruber can't possible make a mistake. I'm gonna tweet this from my iCanvas.
    if someone gives you information that you think is solid and you report it but it turns out not be accurate is that a mistake? IMO the mistake is people taking rumors (no matter how solid they think they are) and treating them as fact.

On daring fireball Gruber says he still thinks 7.1 will drop any day now.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Gruber...was...wrong.

Worth noting as so many people take his comments to be a damn near inside scoop. They're not.

• Reply 20 of 22
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Remind me why I'm supposed to care about 7.1.  I'm not being sarcastic.  What noticable changes are expected?