Microsoft to release long-awaited Office for Mac update in 2014 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    belugabeluga Posts: 83member

didn't want to underestimate anyones work. I am sure there are business cases that all the spreadsheet work can be done on iwork. Sure..

Let me put it this way.. the vas majority of analysts and finance people in Apple work on excel... I think this perfectly clarifies my point. :)

I have said it before and I will say it again. I want apple to improve on their iwork suite (and preferably on the cloud cause thats where everything is headed) and fast. I much prefer google docs than anything nowadays. And its been around for 3 years now.. something like that.

• Reply 22 of 75
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    [QUOTE]. . . ship a new version of its Office for Mac productivity suite later this year . . .[/QUOTE]

one of the differentiators i first noticed betwixt ms and apple was that ms announced products and shipped them 'later this year' or 'next year'. apple announced products and shipped them immediately or very soon after announcement. that's still true. i think the original iphone was the first time i noticed a significant gap between announce and ship for an apple product, and justifiably so, imho. ms should change their corporate slogan to "coming soon ..."
  • Reply 23 of 75
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

... and talk about the glory days like COBOL and FORTRAN programmers do now.

Ahhh, FORTRAN...

*sigh*

A.

• Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Microsoft not creating updated Mac versions, and releasing an iOS version are losing casual user when they buy their first iPad.   If they get them hooked on office on the mac/ipad, there is a fighting chance for them to buy Windows, and maybe even a Surface.  If not, the masses will leave Office, and and windows will evaporate, except for who think in VBA, and talk about the glory days like COBOL and FORTRAN programmers do now.

You had me at COBOL....

• Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

one of the differentiators i first noticed betwixt ms and apple was that ms announced products and shipped them 'later this year' or 'next year'. apple announced products and shipped them immediately or very soon after announcement. that's still true. i think the original iphone was the first time i noticed a significant gap between announce and ship for an apple product, and justifiably so, imho. ms should change their corporate slogan to "coming soon ..."

You must be young. Microsoft was the inventor of "Vaporware" in the 1980s. This announcement is one of the latest in a long history of announced Microsoft Vaporware. Only the U.S. government comes close to Microsoft is quantity during an election year.

Cypher: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?

[Takes a bite of steak]

Cypher: Ignorance is bliss.

• Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

The only enhancement I'm looking for is more speed. Excel can be slow operating on 10k row spreadsheets. Even simple operations (copying filtered data, inserting / dropping rows/columns) take too much time.

Agreed. Even smaller spreadsheets, with only a few 1000 rows, once charted can take many seconds to load and update. Its MUCH faster than the previous office for Mac, however its still much faster to load and change the data in the files within MS office 2003, running under Parallels. That's quite sad really.

• Reply 27 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The killer feature of the new iWork suite is it's 100% file compatibility with all iOS devices- and more features are constantly being added. Office runs like a dog on a Mac. Sure, it's good to have, but for most people I think iWork is now much more useable, especially with cross compatibility. Oh, and the fact that it's FREE. 

• Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The killer feature of the new iWork suite is it's 100% file compatibility with all iOS devices- and more features are constantly being added. Office runs like a dog on a Mac. Sure, it's good to have, but for most people I think iWork is now much more useable, especially with cross compatibility. Oh, and the fact that it's FREE. 

100% compatible unless those things that got deleted during import mattered to you.

And even then, 100% compatibility doesn't mean functional equivalency. Heck, the new Numbers won't even let me arrange my graph on a page preview.

What is good enough "for most people" is irrelevant to those who make decisions at Microsoft, because they aren't "most people", they're in the 1%.  You demonstrate that you are not in the 1% with your coveting of the "free" price.

Word 4.0c was really good, Word 5.1 was darnn-near perfect.  It's all been downhill from there. 

• Reply 29 of 75
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

It may be slow and it may be from Microsoft but it's advanced functionality and it's wide adoption in business makes it (still) irreplaceable for serious business work.

That depends on what kind of business you're in. My company does just fine with lower cost alternatives. A handful of external facing employees have Office, but all our internal documentation is kept in non-Microsoft file formats.

Sadly there are times when Numbers makes Excel look fast. What is it with spreadsheets on the Mac?

• Reply 31 of 75
    iWork is better but Apple fooled us with some bugs in Pages. There is still a need for professional word processors like Word.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hear hear. Dog slow, on whatever Mac you run Excel on. And not even on 10k rows; it's dog slow on just 2,000 lines. Without any formulas! Go figure! (that's you MS; go figure)

I wonder if it is slow by design or incompetence. Excel running on Windows 7 as a virtual machine in VMware Fusion is noticeably faster than the native OSX version on the same system.

• Reply 33 of 75
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I had moved my work flow to Pages, but was forced back to Word by the recent "upgrade" by Apple. Although I wouldn't say I'm awaiting a new version of Office, there are a few things I'd like.

- Ability to run an accessibility check
    - Ability to export a tagged PDF
    - Retain the Mac version's approach to showing the style guide
    - Less suck
  • Reply 34 of 75
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member

iWORK is quite good - no unnecessary frills.  

In the various offices I visit are VERY few people using more than half the features of MS Office.

In addition, with the free OpenOffice application nobody really needs MS Office.

• Reply 35 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    scartart wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Hear hear. Dog slow, on whatever Mac you run Excel on. And not even on 10k rows; it's dog slow on just 2,000 lines. Without any formulas! Go figure! (that's you MS; go figure)
    I wonder if it is slow by design or incompetence. Excel running on Windows 7 as a virtual machine in VMware Fusion is noticeably faster than the native OSX version on the same system.

In all honesty I don't think MS has many competent developers working for them, yet that can't be the case as they also leave and start working for Google and Apple and do good stuff over there. Is it management then? Well, maybe not, just a lack of wanting to create great software, testing it to the fullest. Yeah, I say they basically lack, period.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    iWork being free on new systems will help businesses stay off of Office.

It is likely to cripple your collaboration with your customers/cooperatives, presuming that most of them are using Office. Even within your company's IT walls, you will be handicapped if your company is using Exchange, SharePoint, Lync... and many are.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Too late MS; already moved over to iWork. It's different, but works as advertised.

But it does not have professional features such as flagging an email for followup. Something a project team can't live without. 

• Reply 38 of 75
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm thinking a lot of people already switched to iWork. Not only can you use this on your Mac, but also any iOS device AND, you can sync all of your things with iCloud for easy access between Macs and iOS devices. I think the current iWork suite is adequate for most people's needs. Maybe not the hard core Office people, but a general everyday user its more than adequate.

Home user who doesn't exchange documents with anyone, yes.    Business users and people who exchange files, no.

I'm looking forward to an Office update, but only if Outlook email, address book and calendar syncs via iCloud.   If it doesn't do that, it's worthless.   

• Reply 39 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hello3799 wrote: »
    Dear Mister Microsoft Office Product Manager, Please Please Please do not make any more updates.  Office 2007 stinks.  Office 2010 stinks.  And I hear Office 2013 stinks worst of them all.  Please please please no more button, no more stupid bar.  Please bring back the User Interface of Office 2003. 

I miss VisiCalc.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I miss VisiCalc.

Ah, the original killer app. Oddly, it has just as many features as the new Numbers app. :p