What you want to see in iChat 2.0

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just curious to see what improvements people want out of iChat 2.0 if and when it comes out.

I want to see:

>grouping capabilities in the buddy list (like on AIM)

>ability to see buddy's away messages even if they are idle (like on AIM)

>custom sizing and font of buddy list so you can fit all your buddies in without scrolling (like on AIM)

>ability to make yourself appear idle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I agree with all the suggestions you mention.

I would like to see the ability to make a profile through iChat (as in AIM). Also, it would be nice to have an info button in the IM window itself (instead of having to highlight the name in your buddy list [if they are in your buddy list] and clicking the info button).

I'd like to be able to see buddy names and/or icons in chat rooms.

I wish away messages would auto reply to the sender, as in AIM/AOL, since I keep having people tell me that they had no clue I was away until they happen to check the icon on their buddylist (at least make it an option).

I think buddy alerts could be made more extensive, but it is not super important, really.

I think a block button in the IM window would be a nice touch too.

It would be nice if Mac users could, again, talk online with other AIM and iChat users.

Some added, useful (any?) options from the iChat dock icon??? I do truly appreciate Apple allowing me to show it in the Finder, of course, but I think it is a shame the MSN messenger's dock menu kills Apple's chat client software version of the same.

I'm sure there are many other things, but these items are a few off the top of my head...
  • Reply 2 of 35
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    this might not be the right place, but its fast:

How does one edit ones information, like that people view and you write quotes or whatever in? can't figure it out, i'm an idiot

I would like for iChat to stop unexpectedly quitting, that would definiatly be a plus, and better file transfer options and settings
  • Reply 3 of 35
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Jabber.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    i normally use fire but... neither that is an ideal.

- i want to have all these in one prog:

icq, aim, yim, irc, msn.

- custom available, away etc: separately for each account.

- want to be able to bring the icq etc friends elsewhere (has not worked as i have used fire, trillian, licq etc) (so i have had to use pen and paper to do that)

- to custom decide to whom i am how visible (away, available etc)

i dotn care so much for the fonts etc- just want to keep the beeps off.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    How about away messages that actually work. And maybe an option to have a single window with drawer or tabs that hold your other conversations. I absolutely hate having a billion windows on my screen. Right now I have to recommend Proteus or Adium because iChat just isn't there yet.

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: wolfeye155 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 35
    i Chat is great for casual chatting, but its no good for power users.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    *Ability to resize text input area

*Fix bug that says chat participants are offline

*Option to view full-size icons

* Automatic text-cut off in the text input box when you reach the maximum number of characters allowed

*Option for status icons/ or ability to change status ball's color.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Webcam support with mpeg4
  • Reply 9 of 35
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>How about away messages that actually work.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second that and how about a version of iChat that is reliable? I think mine crashes at least once a day
  • Reply 10 of 35
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    It's nice to see the "...", which shows you that the person you're chatting with is typing a response. The thing I hate is that whent hat person deletes what they started typing, the "..." disappears and quickly reappears again as soon as they type something else. Maybe Apple can fix that so the "..." stays there for 5-10 seconds even if the person has stopped typing or has deleted everything they were typing. I was chatting with a friend the other night, and the way the "..." kept disappearing for a few seconds--causing the chat window to scroll up a bit--and then reappear was really annoying.

Also, I'd like to be able to edit the spoken alert text so that Victoria (sweet Victoria) says my name at the beginning and doesn't say "your buddy."

[EDIT: corrected the iChat name in my sig.]

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: mlnjr ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 35
    MSN Messenger compatibility
  • Reply 12 of 35
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Webcam support with mpeg4</strong><hr></blockquote>

Some form of video chat (typing with image), or even better video conferencing (voice and image), would float my boat. Considering Apple's increased reliance on standard protocols, I am confident that such function would play nicely with other video chat/conferencing software on the Wintel platform.

[quote]Originally posted by Alpha Mac:

<strong>MSN Messenger compatibility</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen. MSN Messenger and AOL IM are direct competitors. Apple's licensing agreement with AOL undoubtedly includes a clause which prevents Apple from supporting a competing system like MSN or ICQ.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by mlnjr:

<strong>It's nice to see the "...", which shows you that the person you're chatting with is typing a response. The thing I hate is that whent hat person deletes what they started typing, the "..." disappears and quickly reappears again as soon as they type something else. Maybe Apple can fix that so the "..." stays there for 5-10 seconds even if the person has stopped typing or has deleted everything they were typing. I was chatting with a friend the other night, and the way the "..." kept disappearing for a few seconds--causing the chat window to scroll up a bit--and then reappear was really annoying.

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: mlnjr ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

No.

You want to remove "..." functionality? It seems counter-intuitive to denote typing after the fact...
  • Reply 14 of 35
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>

No.

You want to remove "..." functionality? It seems counter-intuitive to denote typing after the fact...</strong><hr></blockquote>

No.

I do like the ellipses, and I understand why they're there. What I don't like is how they disappear if the person you're chatting with deletes everything he started typing to you. How to annoy someone: Get into a chat with them, and repeatedly type one letter, then delete it. On their computer, the ellipses will appear and disappear, and the chat window will alternately scroll down to make room for them and back. If the ellipses stayed on the screen for say 5 or 10 seconds after someone deleted an entire line, that would cut down on the scrolling weirdness. iChat 2.0 should be smart enough to know you made a typo or changed your mind and want to type something else.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    I guess i would say one thing that annoys me is if i start to type and it puts the little arrow up then i delete everything thati am typing it goes away then about 3 seconds later it pops back up and doesn't go away ever, or until you type something else. . . is this really bugging anybody else or am i just being anal about small things? methinks i'm heading off to download proteus.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    ? Support for other services (MSN, ICQ, etc).

? Larger text-entry field

? Different icon size choices
  • Reply 17 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Sometimes when a few things are going on at once (I haven't detected much of a pattern other than that this problem occurs when there's a lot of scrolling), the other person's chat bubbles will overlap and the text disappears until I highlight the text. Also, sometimes, the text just doesn't show up unless I highlight it, inexplicably.

Anyone else have these problems? I still use iChat because it's a nice program, but there are a few annoying bugs. I'd also like it if the dock icon did more than just bounce when a message was received. Adium has the best dock icon feedback I've seen; it should be like that. Also, it should be simpler to manage buddies and stuff when in chats. There should be a block button right in the chat window, as well as a get info button, an add buddy button, etc.

I'd also like it if using your own picture for someone (instead of their buddy icon) didn't create an address book entry unless you told it to. Then when I sync with my iPod, I get all these blank entries for people who have no info in my address book but have a custom picture.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Any chance of MSN support!

It would be really great!
  • Reply 19 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No real chance of MSN support. I could see someone making a hack that does that, but Apple can't just do that. See the above posts for an explanation.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Sometimes... the other person's chat bubbles will overlap and the text disappears until I highlight the text. Also, sometimes, the text just doesn't show up unless I highlight it, inexplicably.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think this has anything to do with iChat. There is a text rendering bug in Jaguar that causes individual characters, words or entire lines of text not to render at all or to disappear. I've experienced this problem in MS Word, Chimera and Internet Explorer. This is a major issue with 10.2 that was not fixed in 10.2.1. I really hope that 10.2.2 addresses this text rendering problem.

Escher