QUESTION: New iMacs at MWNY???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering...what is the possibility of an iMac update at the upcoming MacWorld New York, or within the next few months for that matter? Can anyone make a prediction, drawing upon past occurences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Not likely. Everyone believes that the PowerMac is next for a makeover, and sales of iMac seem to be strong.

There may or may not be a slight price correction downward to make up for the upward one, but I wouldn't bet on anything drastic.

Suckfuldotg5
  • Reply 2 of 26
    77k77k Posts: 1member
    Quit with the offensive images...

Your posting privleges are (temporarily) suspended.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: AppleProphet ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I'd say even if Apple has cleared its backlog of iMac orders and is ready to go, the expo will probably be a new PowerMac coming out party. There will not be any radical changes to the iMac so I suspect we will see a running change like we have with the TiBook recently. Apple likes to spread out minor feature bumps over the year. Unless the iBook is updated prior to the show, if it gets a serious rev it might take the stage (it's staler than the iMac even if the design is still quite nice). I'd expect it to be a PowerMac and Jaguar show. Just as long as they don't put "Beyond the Rumor sites, way beyond" on the home page (unless they really mean it)
  • Reply 4 of 26
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I relaly hope they update the imac at or before MWNY. It won't be a major update, but a faster processor and maybe a better graphics card would be a step in the right direction. Apple needs to speed up its product cycles.

The ibook is way overdue for an update, moreso than the powermac.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    if they do, then it'll only be an incremental update...that's what apple needs to do now....incremental updates and working hard to lower the price on the imac
  • Reply 6 of 26
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I expect a minor speed bump update ranging from 100 to 200 mhz. An update of the video graphic section will be wellcome (but i will be a surprise). and as usal the HD will be slighty bigger.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I wouldn't be surprised if they updated the iMac motherboard to something that uses 133MHz SDRAM with the next update. Whether that will be MWNY or not I have no idea.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    [quote]Originally posted by 77k:

<strong>Quit with the offensive images...

Your posting privleges are (temporarily) suspended.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: AppleProphet ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

what's considered offensive? not nudity i hope ...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    I wonder if they'll bring back the SE? I'd love to see a DDR based 1.2Ghz G4 iMac with Geforce 4 4600 and the new powerbook display. + support for a second monitor...

Maybe I'm getting into PM territory, but I'd buy one..
  • Reply 10 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I agree that there may be a minor update, processor speed and possible graphics card. Also, as an ongoing situation, the manufacturing of the iMac is changing to increase production and keep prices down. Some problems with the power cord and swing arm are being fixed.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>

what's considered offensive? not nudity i hope ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it was a pic that said "this thread is gay"... 77k has posted those images before... look @ his posting history (unless they were all removed...)I dont think its that big of a deal, but if he was asked to stop before, then he shouldnt keep on posting the image...

anyways--back on topic

I dont see the iMac geting updated @ MWNY, maybe at an event before or after, but I dont think it will hapen @ the show... Or at least I hope not... I Hope the show is dominated by the PM bump, Jaguar, iBooks and possible new iDevice/iApps.... But thats just me...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    I agree that there's a good chance that the LCD iMac will received a minor upgrade in Macworld New York in July (or somewhere before or after it.). After all, it was introduced in January, and it's best to release a revision for each six months.

I agree that there probably will be a speed increase the processor. Perharps now the low end model will feature a 800 MHz G4? And yes, perharps the video card will updated, though there might be a good chance that it probably will be a Radeon instead of a GeForce.

Though hopefully they will introduce more features than just a speed increase and a change of video card.

As for the iBook need an update.

Agree. And with the release of Mac OS X's Ink, my imagination gone wild with an iBook equipped with a stylus, enabling the iBook to act like a REAL notebook where you can scribble around on it with a REAL pen.

As for the PowerMac.

I guess that it's up to one imagination to think about it. There's probably an update, that's for sure.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    If the Powermacs get TRUE DDR, with a new G4 that supports a DDR frontside bus, then maybe the iMacs will get a mobo update to 133 MHz. But I'm not sure about that one...Apple likes to milk these antiquated mobo designs forever.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>I wonder if they'll bring back the SE? I'd love to see a DDR based 1.2Ghz G4 iMac with Geforce 4 4600 and the new powerbook display. + support for a second monitor...

Maybe I'm getting into PM territory, but I'd buy one..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hell Yeah. Personally, I would like a desktop computer that approaches the PowerMac line under the iMac SE badge. Interesting idea to put the new powerbook display in the iMac's, but I'd really like to see a 17-incher in there. Of course, it's most likely unfeasible due to the price of LCD's- specifically an expensive 17inch model. Don't know the added cost of the new TiBook display.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A wild guess. Due to popular demand the on button will now be in the front - the Apple logo will serve as such.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>A wild guess. Due to popular demand the on button will now be in the front - the Apple logo will serve as such. </strong><hr></blockquote>

How about a power button on the damn keyboard!

Seriously, why in the world would did they do away with it?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Flounder:

<strong>

Seriously, why in the world would did they do away with it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

why dont they just make the eject key a button you use to turn the machine on? this way it has 2 uses... when the computer is on, it opens the drive. When it is off it can be used to power up the machine...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>I wonder if they'll bring back the SE? I'd love to see a DDR based 1.2Ghz G4 iMac with Geforce 4 4600 and the new powerbook display. + support for a second monitor...

Maybe I'm getting into PM territory, but I'd buy one..</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't expect anything like that anytime soon.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Flounder:

<strong>

Seriously, why in the world would did they do away with it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

They had to remove it because of some problem with USB. Something like it was against the USB standards. Someone that knows the exact reason can explain.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mingming Posts: 41member
    Yeah! I totally want an Apple Logo to be the power button! Just embed a touch sensitive apple logo like on the monitors, so that they'll light up on touch, and pulses while the computer starts up!! That way it'll look good and be functional without taking any space!