QUESTION: New iMacs at MWNY???

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    In the iMac manual, it specifically says that the iMac wasn't made to be shut down. Therefore, the only use of a power button on the front in Apple's view would be to put the machine to sleep. Any key can wake it up, so maybe just a sleep key on the keyboard would suffice.

I own an iMac, and I never shut it down. I really never need to touch the power button at all, except that I occasionally use it to put it to sleep. When I do that, the power button has a drastically different feel to it than the rest of the computer, and it's easy to 'reach' (if you can really call it that) around the computer and push the button.

How many of you really do use the new iMac and realize how this isn't an issue, or are really concerned about it?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    starlandstarland Posts: 30member
    Taiwan factory got the contract to produce 17" iMac for Apple at 4Q.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    starlandstarland Posts: 30member
    Sorry, Mozilla always sent twice.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: starland ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 26
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I would guess the iBooks will be bumped before MWNY because they are most in need of a bump right now, and the educational buying season is starting up, so they'll want to get new iBooks ready as soon as possible.

MWNY should be about PowerMacs, but not a bump... a bump is not enough. They need totally overhauled PowerMacs. Completely new mobo architecture, and much more powerful processors. They must. They are falling behind, and they need this.

I would imagine iMacs will get bumped in the fall sometime and maybe have a price drop before Christmas, but if they're still selling fast, they don't need to bump them in any real hurry. I wouldn't expect the video hardware in the iMacs to change much, if at all, in the first bump, it will probably be a processor, hard drive, and cost modification. Maybe 133 Mhz bus as well. It would be nice. This would also be based on the expectation that PowerMacs will be completely re-done.

If Apple sticks DDR into the powermacs, it better before the Frontside bus as well, not like the way the X serve is designed.

it is possible that new PowerMacs will be announced at MWNY, but not available until 10.2 ships, and then it could come pre-installed.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    if apple slaps the old powerbook screen on the imac (giving just a little more real estate on the sides), WITHOUT raising the price, i am so gonna buy one. don't get me wrong, i have been getting by with 1024x768 on my powerbook and imac for a while, but these damn applications keep growing more palettes and toolbars with every revisions... well, every pixel helps.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The iMac's screen will most likely stay at a standard aspect ratio. It's a consumer device, not a pro device.

I don't think we will see anything big for the iMac at MWNY or around there. Just updated processor, maybe a few other small things. If the PowerMacs go to 1.4GHz, I think that the iMac will go to 800MHz-1GHz.

MWSF '03 will be where the iMac gets a 133MHz or possibly 266MHz bus, 17 inch display much like the current 17" ASD, DDR RAM, DVI, FW2, etc.

Don't get your hopes up for MWNY and the iMac...be ready for the PM, however. It and Jaguar will steal the show.