Apple ends Windows 7 support in Boot Camp for new Mac Pro

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post

Windows 8 uses the same drivers as Windows 7 so it would be perfectly possible to install Windows 7 and use the Windows 8 boot camp drivers.

I guess that’s why my GPU was recognized in Windows 7 but cannot be seen regardless of what I do in Windows 8.

I wish EVERYONE ELSE with Apple products could have these nice new Windows 8 drivers. Maybe that would fix my problem.

• Reply 82 of 89
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess that’s why my GPU was recognized in Windows 7 but cannot be seen regardless of what I do in Windows 8.

Was it a stock gpu or after market? Also if it's a stock AMD, did you try downloading catalyst drivers?

• Reply 83 of 89
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Was it a stock gpu or after market? Also if it's a stock AMD, did you try downloading catalyst drivers?

Standard 4870. The Radeon 4xxx family’s support was discontinued in Windows 8, but, you know, you’d figure that since Apple supports it that their driver would work.

Nope. 640x480 every time I boot.

• Reply 84 of 89
    Quote:

Standard 4870. The Radeon 4xxx family’s support was discontinued in Windows 8, but, you know, you’d figure that since Apple supports it that their driver would work.

Nope. 640x480 every time I boot.

Blargh.....if I come across any working drivers on that card from the hackintosh crowd, I'll either link or PM it. You never know. I don't actually use a hackintosh. I just go through them because they're fun to read.

• Reply 85 of 89
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Blargh.....if I come across any working drivers on that card from the hackintosh crowd, I'll either link or PM it. You never know. I don't actually use a hackintosh. I just go through them because they're fun to read.

Thanks; I appreciate that. I’m obviously in the market for a newer card, and they’re the ones to whom I’ll turn when I finally decide on one. No way am I buying a four year old Apple 5870 for hundreds when I could buy a modern PC card and have it work perfectly in Windows and OS X. EFI boot menu? Pshh, who needs to see that?

On a related note: WHY ISN’T WINDOWS USING EFI YET. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?! IT’S TWENTY FOURTEEN.

• Reply 86 of 89
    Quote:

Thanks; I appreciate that. I’m obviously in the market for a newer card, and they’re the ones to whom I’ll turn when I finally decide on one. No way am I buying a four year old Apple 5870 for hundreds when I could buy a modern PC card and have it work perfectly in Windows and OS X. EFI boot menu? Pshh, who needs to see that?

I don't blame you. As you know Apple typically retains the same retail prices regardless of age with the exception of refurbished products.

Quote:

On a related note: WHY ISN’T WINDOWS USING EFI YET. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?! IT’S TWENTY FOURTEEN.

Newer ones don't really use bios at this point.

• Reply 87 of 89
    Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?
    You can use:

Microsoft Windows 8.0 and 8.1 (64-bit)
    Microsoft Windows 8.0 and 8.1 Pro (64-bit)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
    Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 are not supported.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5639
  • Reply 88 of 89

Can't really say much about Windows 8 as I never installed it anywhere but it's easy to buy a standalone version of Windows 8.1 (Amazon, for one source) with an installation DVD or by downloading the .iso file. My standalone install of 8.1 runs fine in Parallels 10 on my late 2007 iMac. Using StarDock's Start8 and always booting into the Desktop gives me a more flexible (and a bit faster) OS than Windows 7. I currently have 5 VM's available under Parallels (XP, 7, 8.1, 10 Technical Preview and Ubuntu 14). Besides Start8, there are several freeware options for handling the Windows Desktop start button and one never even has to know that the "Metro" start screen is even there. My feeling is that people that complain about Windows 8.1 probably haven't actually made it into "their own" Windows computer (and that's actually a pretty easy task to accomplish). I find that I like using 8.1 more than Windows 7 and it's time (for me) to move on. So I don't have a problem with Apple dropping Bootcamp support for Windows 7, even if they were to do it on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro (where I run Windows 7 under Bootcamp)... I would have no trouble moving to Windows 8.1 or 10.

• Reply 89 of 89

The problem, with not boot camping is that if you have a house hold that uses PC and Mac you will need to buy separate software for Apple like Word and publisher etc.