Amazon shows Apple TV competitor to developers, release imminent - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Meh... ill wait and see.. all amazon products i have seen Kindle etc have been largely lackluster. I can imagine this device will be Ugly huge and annoying to use. thank you apple for your Apple TV very easy to use and reliable.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    With Xfinity X1, ATV, Roku, and Chromecast I have all the hardware I will ever need. I still do not have the content I want the way I want it. The subscription model is only slightly better than the sat/cable model. Until I can download an app for each channel I want to watch and pay on a per view basis, none of this really interests me. As more reality shows continue to consume more and more broadcast hours, the less and less I want any of the content offered. In their efforts to protect their bottom line and avoid change, they are slowly weaning their customers off of their product. Eventually everyone will just lose interest and find something else to do with their time.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
  • Reply 44 of 51
    saarek wrote: »
    What's sad is that if Apple had simply released a channel store years ago they'd own this market right now, no one would be able to touch them. But for some reason they seem to be pursuing the content rights model as opposed to sticking with their traditional high markup hardware model.

Chuck in some extra memory, double the price, enable the app store and sit back as Billions of Dollars of additional revenue falls your way.

Why on earth has Apple not done this yet? It really blows my mind!

No need to have your mind blown. If you care that strongly, apply for the position of CEO of Apple. If successful, you will then be in a position to carry out your wishes.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So much for all the wonderful products Tim Cook said Apple would be releasing this year. Here we are with Spring around the corner and… nothing so far. No iPhone, no iPad, no iWatch, no Mac, no iTV, no iPod, no nothing.

You missed CarPlay.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    kent909 wrote: »
  • Reply 47 of 51
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Huh? There have been numerous reports this year that Apple does have a big update planned for Apple TV. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces it at WWDC.

They've been saying that for over a year now, probably closer to two. I'm sure they're working on something, but until it's released it doesn't exist.
    Precisely why I went a a Playstation. Ridiculous to pay a yearly fee just to use an app like Netflix that has nothing to do with gaming. 

Get a PS3 because unless they changed things a subscription is required for a PS4. The Wii U is the only subscription free console.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Roku has such a big lead over Apple TV. Even Samsung has its own smart TV loaded with apps. The upcoming Apple smart TV still nowhere to be seen.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    peter236 wrote: »
    Roku has such a big lead over Apple TV. Even Samsung has its own smart TV loaded with apps. The upcoming Apple smart TV still nowhere to be seen.

Not according to their unit sales they don't.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not according to their unit sales they don't.

Yup. Not even close globally.
    Roku does do better in the US, but not by a large margin.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Yup. Not even close globally.
    Roku does do better in the US, but not by a large margin.

And Chromecast has to be eating heavily into what sales they do have. For the cost and utility it's a good device, and it even has some of the AirPlay-like features of the AppleTV for Android-based devices which Roku can't match.