Amazon shows Apple TV competitor to developers, release imminent - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2014
Launch preparations for Amazon's long-awaited entry into the streaming set-top box market are nearly complete, as the e-commerce giant is said to have begun distributing preproduction hardware to select developers ahead of an early April debut to take on the Apple TV, a new report says.

Instant

The streamer -- under development for at least a year -- will likely be bundled with access to the company's Prime streaming library, according to The Wall Street Journal. Brick and mortar retailers including Staples and Best Buy have reportedly signed on to carry the device beginning next month, though pricing is still undecided.

The Android-powered set-top box is said to bear a variation of Amazon's signature "Fire" branding, and the fact that it has made its way into developers' hands could mean that Amazon plans to give users access to a third-party App Store.

An April rollout could put Amazon's entry on a collision course with the next-generation Apple TV, which some believe might be introduced around the same time. With both products expected to offer similar functionality, content -- an area in which the companies have taken diverging tacks -- may be a key differentiator.

Seattle, Wash.-based Amazon has chosen to follow the lead of video streaming rival Netflix and bankroll exclusive original content, though Amazon's efforts have achieved more modest success. The internet retailer is also rumored to be in negotiations for a streaming music service similar to Spotify that would round out Amazon's media offerings.

Conversely, Apple elected to partner with content owners and is thought to have been in negotiations with cable giant Time Warner in an effort to bring live television content to the next-generation Apple TV, though it is unknown how those negotiations may have been affected by Time Warner's recently-announced merger with Comcast. Apple's iTunes Radio, meanwhile, is now the third most popular streaming music service on the internet just six months after its debut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, sure... why not. Everyone's making one.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/40014/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    Dang, the expected form-factor looks so familiar. . .

There's also claims one of the biggest focuses will be streamed gaming. That could be a biggie.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

What's sad is that if Apple had simply released a channel store years ago they'd own this market right now, no one would be able to touch them. But for some reason they seem to be pursuing the content rights model as opposed to sticking with their traditional high markup hardware model.

Chuck in some extra memory, double the price, enable the app store and sit back as Billions of Dollars of additional revenue falls your way.

Why on earth has Apple not done this yet? It really blows my mind!

• Reply 4 of 51

If this has Amazon Prime Video and Netflix from the get go and will offer a channel store I'll flog my ATV 3 and jump ship straight away.

• Reply 5 of 51
    Just rebrand the Roku and be done with it, Amazon.

I predict Amazon will be manufacturing electric cars by 2025. It's called Jeff Bezos' secret fear of missing out.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member

Amazon prime video service will be a big draw, I use it now and its a pretty good competitor to netflix. I wish apple would do a subscription service like this. Also I wonder if amazon's music service will be like iTunes radio/Pandora or more like Spotify/beats. If its like spotify/beats and comes with amazon prime then I'm canceling my Beats subscription.

Again, i'd go with apple if they offered such a service, but so far it does not look like they will.

The Streaming gaming part sounds like it will be onlive like (PC games streamed from the cloud) Depending on the games this could be huge (amazon obviously has the backend know how to do this with AWS) haven't gamed on my PC in a long time and don't plan on upgrading my Xbox 360 any time soon so I think this could be another avenue, again depends on the game support

• Reply 7 of 51
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's also claims one of the biggest focuses will be streamed gaming. That could be a biggie.

Yeah I can't hardly wait to suffer high ping times in single player games. ;)
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Amazon prime video service will be a big draw, I use it now and its a pretty good competitor to netflix. I wish apple would do a subscription service like this. Also I wonder if amazon's music service will be like iTunes radio/Pandora or more like Spotify/beats. If its like spotify/beats and comes with amazon prime then I'm canceling my Beats subscription.

Again, i'd go with apple if they offered such a service, but so far it does not look like they will.

The Streaming gaming part sounds like it will be onlive like (PC games streamed from the cloud) Depending on the games this could be huge (amazon obviously has the backend know how to do this with AWS) haven't gamed on my PC in a long time and don't plan on upgrading my Xbox 360 any time soon so I think this could be another avenue, again depends on the game support

I am not sure that Amazon is going to be particularly successful at this, but I agree with you that the streaming/subscription model is something that Apple should (and could) have adopted ages ago.

Additionally, they could be working harder and faster to get international rights.

Their tardiness on both fronts is both disappointing and surprising.

• Reply 9 of 51
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Apple should have done this over a yr ago. They could have dominated the market. Now it will be more difficult. They will be late to the game.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Apple should have done this over a yr ago. They could have dominated the market. Now it will be more difficult. They will be late to the game.
  • Reply 11 of 51

Time for Bilderberger Bezos to sic the DoJ on Apple . . . again!

• Reply 12 of 51
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What's sad is that if Apple had simply released a channel store years ago they'd own this market right now, no one would be able to touch them. But for some reason they seem to be pursuing the content rights model as opposed to sticking with their traditional high markup hardware model.

Chuck in some extra memory, double the price, enable the app store and sit back as Billions of Dollars of additional revenue falls your way.

You seem to ignore the fact that they would need agreement from the owners of the channels. Content providers are very wary of letting Apple control the industry, even if it would be a net benefit to them.

• Reply 13 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

They did it in 2007. Enough with the FUD.

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

You seem to ignore the fact that they would need agreement from the owners of the channels. Content providers are very wary of letting Apple control the industry, even if it would be a net benefit to them.

Why ARE people such idiots, anyway?

“Oh, no! Apple is going to completely destroy television as we know it! No one will be using cable or satellite when they’re done! How will we get money?”

*six months later*

“Oh, wait, we get money from Apple. More, in fact, than before…”

• Reply 14 of 51
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Good luck Amazon, hopefully this will put a little pressure on Apple to evolve the current AppleTV.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Apple can't control that. It's up to the channel providers to allow a standalone subscription model. Problem is cable companies are basically in bed with the content providers so I highly doubt we will see anything like that from anyone in the near future. Providers like HBO are hesitant to offer a subscription service online because it will undercut their cable subscription business. Online streaming would cost less compared to what you would pay to subscribe to HBO with a cable/satellite company. But imagine if Apple somehow was able to have exclusive rights to HBO streaming without users being current subscribers. That would be huge for both HBO and Apple. 

• Reply 16 of 51
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

So how long after Amazon releases whatever they're going to release before they sue Apple for attempting to corner the market on streaming content?

• Reply 17 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Dang, the expected form-factor looks so familiar. . .

Is that really how it looks?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If Apple was to release a Channel Store it would be up to the content providers to explain to the clamoring hoard why it is that they are not offering their content onto the ATV. Just as with the iOS ecosystem I personally do not believe that it would not take long for their content to appear.

• Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Apple can't control that. It's up to the channel providers to allow a standalone subscription model. Problem is cable companies are basically in bed with the content providers so I highly doubt we will see anything like that from anyone in the near future. 

It's not only that but you also have cable companies (comcast) owning content providers (NBC Universal)

• Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Content providers are very wary of letting Apple control the industry, even if it would be a net benefit to them.

Yep, look at ebooks.