Director wants Christian Bale to play role of Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
Acclaimed director David Fincher is considering taking the reins of Sony's upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, but will reportedly do so only if the studio allows Christian Bale to fill the lead role.

Christian Bale
Source: TheWrap

Fincher, best known for directing The Social Network and Fight Club, made his position known during a recent meeting with Sony Pictures Entertainment co-chairman Amy Pascal, according to TheWrap. Bale has not yet been approached, the publication says, but he is not currently attached to any future projects.

Bale was under the cowl for the role of Batman in Christopher Nolan's blockbuster Dark Knight trilogy, though he's also been involved in more critically acclaimed films such as American Hustle and The Fighter. He is also known among film buffs for his roles in cult classics American Psycho and Equilibrium.

Emmy- and Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin -- known for political drama The West Wing and his partnership with Fincher on The Social Network, a film about the formative years of Facebook -- penned the script. Based on Walter Isaacson's canonical Steve Jobs biography, the movie is expected to revolve around backstage machinations at three separate Apple product unveilings representing three different eras of Jobs's life.

Sony is reportedly set to begin filming late in 2014, though scheduling conflicts may push the commencement date back to early 2015. It would be the second Steve Jobs biopic made since the former Apple CEO's death, following 2013's Jobs starring Ashton Kutcher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He'd be a great choice. He's got more than enough range to play Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    kjab93kjab93 Posts: 1member
    Yes! Christian Bale would nail it! Like he does most films.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    He'd be great. What a good idea.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    xsnowxsnow Posts: 5member
    Great choice. Can't wait.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Hadn't thought of him, but yeah... good fit.
    (Particularly if you've seen the on-set videos of his temper tantrums... sounds like type-casting to me. :)
  • Reply 6 of 52
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Bale's a genius, flat out.  

• Reply 7 of 52
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Ditto...excellent choice that I hadn't thought of. In addition to terrific acting chops (American Hustle!) Bale even has that very subtle lisp that Steve had.
  • Reply 8 of 52

Batman > Steve Jobs > American Psycho

Yes he has the range needed for this role.

• Reply 9 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I think Bale would be a great choice. I just really hope he doesn't go overboard and try to mimic Steve's body in his last couple years like he did in "The Machinist".
  • Reply 10 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

And (not to be too crass) don't forget about The Machinist.

• Reply 11 of 52
    nabzifnabzif Posts: 16member

I hope they can let him show a little Patrick Bateman.

They could take the story about Steve throwing Newtons out of his office and...embellish.

• Reply 12 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Amazing job as a drug addict in The Fighter.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Hmmm...I don't know.

Does anybody here think Bale has what it takes to play Steve having a tantrum?

Does he really have any experience in this area?

;)
  • Reply 14 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I can't wait to see the scene in the film where Bill Gates steals ideas for his Windows operating system from Jobs so Steve punches him in the face and leaves him hanging upside down from a nearby building rooftop.

Or where Steve gets booked for parking the Batmobile in handicapped parking spots.

Awesome.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Bale is the best non-Daniel Day Lewis choice.
    Should erase the memory of Ashton Kutcher.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I didn't have the slightest interest in the Kutcher one, but this is starting to sound like quality: Sorkin, Isaacson, Fincher, Bale? Wow.

Now get Giamatti to play Woz.

• Reply 17 of 52
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

This is the first thread I've ever seen on AI where the first dozen or so posts were positive about whatever rumor or reports was presented in the article.  Where are the Christian Bale haters?

• Reply 18 of 52
    arlor wrote: »
    I didn't have the slightest interest in the Kutcher one, but this is starting to sound like quality: Sorkin, Isaacson, Fincher, Bale? Wow.

Now get Giamatti to play Woz.

Isaacson screwed up Jobs biography and should not be seen as a positive.

I would rather see Jorge Garcia play Woz.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    malax wrote: »
    This is the first thread I've ever seen on AI where the first dozen or so posts were positive about whatever rumor or reports was presented in the article.  Where are the Christian Bale haters?
    Sucking up to Superman.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm leary that it could well be yet another lame cash-grab movie/book... but good casting pick!