New "Non-computer device" Coming at MWNY Speculates Forbes.com

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The founding father of Mac rumors (The Naked Mole Rat aka Mac the Knife) has heard rumors of a new device. It might be something to do with a new version of iDVD.

Link:<a href="http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020522.php"; target="_blank">NMR</a>

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 54
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i dunno... forbes is privy to some inside info in the past, BUT they are always the loudest saber-rattlers proclaiming the imminent death of apple and how steve jobs is the worst CEO walking the planet. we'll see.

how long until MWNY?

p.s. anyone notice that there are now a LOT of rebates, add-ons, and giveaways for apple products? think they're trying to move more inventory than usual for new products, or sluggish sales (or both)?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    I want an Apple video camera that can take decent digital photos and play MP3's...

What if there was:

iPod 20GB (10Gb model dropped)

vPod 20Gb (adds flip out colour screen and still/video capture)

Apple is always trying to come out with integrated solutions, like the iPod/iTunes thing. A camera totally fits into thier strategy, working with both iPhoto and iDVD.

If Apple does not make a winning hard drive based DVD quality video/ 4MP digital camera, someone else will.

we all want one!

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: JasonPP ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 54
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Think of a device that you could use, like the Newton.

Add Bluetooth so it connects to your Mac to take advantage of Inkwell and other apps (sort of like a tablet, yes).

Add Airport so when away from the Mac, you can browse the web, and 'sync' with it.

Add Hard Drive to store OS and apps.

There is your VERY BASIC design for the new device. I won't elaborate.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    [quote]Originally posted by murk:

Link:<a href="http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020522.php"; target="_blank">NMR</a><hr></blockquote>

It may be my short attention span, but that NMR story was very hard to read! Luckily, I saw the word "Apple" near the bottom and read from there.

It sounds very interesting - whatever is coming.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    allenallen Posts: 84member
    So Fran, a NDA issue?
  • Reply 26 of 54
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Think of a device that you could use, like the Newton.

Add Bluetooth so it connects to your Mac to take advantage of Inkwell and other apps (sort of like a tablet, yes).

Add Airport so when away from the Mac, you can browse the web, and 'sync' with it.

Add Hard Drive to store OS and apps.

There is your VERY BASIC design for the new device. I won't elaborate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope it has nice screen resolution and plays mp3's.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    phone capabiliies?

I guess we could video chat once they ship ivideoChat
  • Reply 29 of 54
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    dammit, fran, are you up to this again?

anyway, i always thought that with apple's itools service, you could sync information between your apple hosted disk space and, well, anywhere you can find a computer.

plus, there's always that "gigawire" patent apple got.

wish appleturns was back up online. he takes some time off for the baby, and the whole apple continuum blows apart. coincidence???
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Ok. How about this. I plan on buying a danger phone in july (danger.com) if i bought it and a new apple device would i have a redundunt device in the danger phone?
  • Reply 31 of 54
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Woz aside, I don't see how Danger can break into the smartphone market (despite a promising product) with Nokia doing Symbian based camera phones like the 7650.

But if the team got back together, and Apple bought Danger, I could see it taking off.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    um. because the danger phone kicks butt. that's how.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Rok, I have also been trying to see if there is an elegant iTools solution to the distribution of digital hub content. Jobs was very high on (possibly many things...) the iTools interface, but it has been stalled for a few years now with little that is really useful.

With iChat though, Immediate Gratification becomes a greater component of the Mac experience and iTools should be the "always on" integrating component....the digital axle to the digital hub.

Everyone is waiting for the wireless broadband that would make Apple integrated apps and hardware significantly ahead of the curve, but maybe there some things that could be done now. As OSX matures I think we will see software become the driving force for alot of the direction of the hardware.

Matsu has continually pointed out the limitations of tablet devices, but that is not how you implement change. For example the mouse made alot of sense, but its potential wasn't appreciated until it had been out in the workplace for awhile. The same will be for the tablet. I still think there is a market for a multimedia viewer that doesn't require a keyboard....because it WON'T BE A COMPUTER.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The magic star-trek wonder tablets of AI wet dreams aren't going to happen because the price is WAY TOO PROHIBITIVE for the functionality they would provide.

My contention isn't that they're utterly useless, it's that anything that could be cobbled together with todays technology would either be utterly useless or insanely expensive. The mouse was cheap, a tablet isn't. Look at the cintiq LCD tablets, they're wired and they cost more than an iBook! Now add a battery, wireless capability, some local storage. Oh yeah, don't forget to use light but strong materials. IT ISN'T HAPPENING for at least another 10 MacWorlds.

In the tech sector, if you predict anything long enough. it'll happen.

The wireless wonder tablet won't be here for at least another 5 years. And probably needs 7-10 years before the cost of wireless web slates makes exploiting their (limited) functionality worthwhile.

Think MWNY'06/MWSF '07. A PDA or HPC has a chance, a convertible subnote is doable. BUT, affordable technology to make a wireless display/tablet in it's own right isn't even close.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    [quote]Originally posted by keyboardf12:

<strong>um. because the danger phone kicks butt. that's how.</strong><hr></blockquote>

can't argue with logic like that!
  • Reply 36 of 54
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by allen:

<strong>So Fran, a NDA issue?</strong><hr></blockquote>

give me a break. he pulled that bull**** 3 years ago and nothing ever materialized.

let him have his wet dreams about a newton revival because that is all they are
  • Reply 37 of 54
  • Reply 38 of 54
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    oh and my prediction is that the new device will be a firewire digital camera.

I think it will be a still camera probably around 3-4 Megapixels and use either a 2GB or 5GB 1.8 inch Toshiba HD. It will have firewire and integrate directly with iPhoto.

There may be a chance they will combine a still with a video camera and use 20GB Toshiba HD and use either MPEG 2 or possibly MPEG 4 video compression.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>

IT ISN'T HAPPENING for at least another 10 MacWorlds.

In the tech sector, if you predict anything long enough. it'll happen.

The wireless wonder tablet won't be here for at least another 5 years. And probably needs 7-10 years before the cost of wireless web slates makes exploiting their (limited) functionality worthwhile.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just curious to know what your thoughts are on Microsoft's recent push of tablets.

Not that they're innovative or anything remotely that but, one would think Microsoft would see a market and demand for something such as this to commit so much of their resources to it.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    M$ is saying tablet PC in October.

Steve should beat that by a few weeks.